• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, FLips said:

Can someone ELI5 what ramifications all of these MPs stepping down has? Am I right in thinking any of them defending a seat now has to find and promote a replacement in the next month and a bit?
Is it a matter of rats fleeing a sinking ship or is there wisdom in it?

Their local party will be the ones finding a new candidate to stand at the next election. Some like the bloke who had a quadruple amputation for sepsis are standing down for obvious reasons. Some are retiring and some see the writing on the wall. It's a mixture of all three things really Flips. 

Right I've not voted in years and years. Mainly because I don't know a lot about politics and my whole lifetime the PM has been lauded as the worst ever whether Labour or Tory and I just think the system is broken and no matter who's in charge we face failure after failure.

But anyway a representative from my workplace union came in yesterday and has basically begged us all to go out and vote Labour. He put as good an argument as any politician I've heard in ages, emphasizing how much it will help the working man. I'm actually tempted to go out and vote. Should I?

3 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

Right I've not voted in years and years. Mainly because I don't know a lot about politics and my whole lifetime the PM has been lauded as the worst ever whether Labour or Tory and I just think the system is broken and no matter who's in charge we face failure after failure.

But anyway a representative from my workplace union came in yesterday and has basically begged us all to go out and vote Labour. He put as good an argument as any politician I've heard in ages, emphasizing how much it will help the working man. I'm actually tempted to go out and vote. Should I?

It will get a bit better, but the closer Labour get to power, the more Starmer shits himself and moves further to the right and into the loving arms of capital. For instance, not quite banning zero hours contracts, despite saying for ages that they would:

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/may/01/labours-new-deal-for-workers-will-not-fully-ban-zero-hours-contracts

• Paid Members

Andrea Leadsom standing down as well. I know nothing about her other than what I saw on some of the coverage of the recent mayoral elections and thought she was a cunt. Good riddance.

• Paid Members

Starmer's now taken back his pledge of abolishing tuition fees. His list of backtracks starting to look like this.

Eric Bischoff Reveals Who Came Up With Chris Jericho's '1,004 Holds'

I’m as worried as a Westminster coke dealer at the thought of Gullis quitting. I’m looking forward to seeing that ape losing and I don’t want that taken away from me. 

49 minutes ago, FLips said:

Andrea Leadsom standing down as well. I know nothing about her other than what I saw on some of the coverage of the recent mayoral elections and thought she was a cunt. Good riddance.

Frighteningly, she would've won the Tory membership vote against May in 2016 if it'd been allowed to get that far. Then we'd all have heard a lot more about her. Luckily she was persuaded to step away from the race else we might've had something similar to the Truss fiasco six years earlier. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This is so embarrassing. 

Imagine your job being to create this kind of thing. 

Matt Forde built his career on material as weak as that, and people lap up absolutely brutal gags written by Have I Got News For You hacks. 

Anyway, apparently Sunak is taking the day off tomorrow, possibly to reflect on how disastrous the past couple of days have been, and try and stop the bleeding. Usually polls tighten during election campaigns, but unless something drastic happens, I think it they might drift. 

Interesting responses from the "Islington elite" about Jeremy Corbyn here. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/25/loved-islington-voters-40-year-connection-to-jeremy-corbyn

Of course The Guardian wouldn't publish just people saying they'd vote for him even if everyone did say that.

In my opinion he still absolutely romps home in his seat.