Your 5 (or as many as you like really) policies

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
On 5/4/2024 at 8:30 PM, Donald J Trump said:

I'd also bring back the NFL Europe. I used to watch the Claymores pretty regularly but outside of them winning the World Bowl that one time nobody really cared. I think things have changed in the 20 years since Claymores bit the dust and there's much more of an appetite for it now.

You've been partially beaten to that.  The European League of Football resurrected a lot of the NFL Europe names to use so Frankfurt Galaxy, Rhein Fire etc are actually running as teams now.

https://europeanleague.football/

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Ban non-competitive sports and events in schools. Once you leave school you need to be ready to fight your way through life and having a 'soft touch' approach won't usually work. 

Competitive sports do sweet fuck all to prepare anyone for life whatsoever. All they do is prepare you for sports.

1 minute ago, LaGoosh said:

Competitive sports do sweet fuck all to prepare anyone for life whatsoever. All they do is prepare you for sports.

And the value of teamwork, discipline, leadership etc. Competitive sport has been a huge factor for a lot of disenfranchised youths and has given them a purpose and dignity.

John Amaechi made the point of the problem with competitive sport in schools is with the teachers. He said you wouldn’t tolerate a French teacher shouting in a kids face for a mispronunciation so you shouldn’t tolerate it for missing a shot.  

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

You've been partially beaten to that.  The European League of Football resurrected a lot of the NFL Europe names to use so Frankfurt Galaxy, Rhein Fire etc are actually running as teams now.

https://europeanleague.football/

Interesting. Obviously it's nothing without the Dunfermline Wig Smugglers and Englandshire Red Clowns, but I wonder what the chances are of British teams being included in a future expansion. It was very much a niche interest back when I attended but the games become a lot more popular over the past two decades. I think a couple of teams over here would be pretty well supported. 

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

John Amaechi made the point of the problem with competitive sport in schools is with the teachers. He said you wouldn’t tolerate a French teacher shouting in a kids face for a mispronunciation so you shouldn’t tolerate it for missing a shot.  

Hence why I never became a teacher.

• Paid Members

7. Introduce a £10 health insurance charge to all tourists staying in the UK - this should generate a chunk of cash for the NHS. Bit like the "city charge" that countries like Italy levy. 

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Hence why I didn't just limit it to sports. You need to learn how to fight your way to the top rather than being all 'nicey nicey' as it generally won't get you anywhere 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

You need to learn how to fight your way to the top rather than being all 'nicey nicey' as it generally won't get you anywhere 

I dunno, I'd rather schools were teaching kids empathy and kindness rather than "dog eat dog".

Posted (edited)

Hence why I didn't just limit it to sports. You need to learn how to fight your way to the top rather than being all 'nicey nicey' as it generally won't get you anywhere 

And detention for kids who get bullied and have their lunch money taken. Let them kids know that the bullies are the top kids in school. 

Edited by westlondonmist

I didn't create this thread so you can all argue about school sports ffs.

For instance at secondary school I was forced to play rugby instead of football and look at me! Well adjusted human with only two years of psychotherapy needed!

• Paid Members

What a load of absolute bollocks.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I didn't create this thread so you can all argue about school sports ffs.

For instance at secondary school I was forced to play rugby instead of football and look at me! Well adjusted human with only two years of psychotherapy needed!

Well if you'd played more rugby  you'd have needed less psychotherapy. 

No one should be forced to play any sport at school. Kids should be made to exercise but whatever gets them involved rather than needing to win anything. Competitive sport in schools is one of those things that the "Bring back national service" brigade harp on about. Piss basted gammon the lot of them.