• Paid Members

So this isn't about covers, this is about artists who've re-done existing songs. The album covers thread reminded me of Here Comes The Flood by Peter Gabriel, which I absolutely love, but find it the most frustrating song he's ever written, because both versions fall short in different areas, and I feel like the perfect version is almost a fusion of the two. 

Believing the original to be over-produced, he recorded a stripped-down, mostly piano version, which is beautiful - but I have to say I think he went too far in the opposite direction. I agree that the original is over-produced in the chorus section, as it's far too bombastic and really clashes with the rest of the arrangement, which is stunning and cinematic. I think it would be absolutely perfect if he'd just put a more subdued chorus, or if the re-record had had just a little of the effects and instrumentation from the intro and verses sections of the original.

As it is, at the risk of being the Athletico Mince version of Dominic Littlewood ("So: tattoos - childish or legitimate art? I'm on the fence myself"), I have to admit I really have trouble deciding which I prefer, because they're both superb, but don't quite hit exactly what they promise, at least to me.

So, your thoughts please, but also your thoughts on any other artist re-records - no covers by other artists, but drastically different live performances should count, I reckon.

• Paid Members

Cheap 70s compilations absolutely knackered me in the 90s — I can't listen to the originals of some Badfinger/Marmalad/Dobie Gray songs, as they're far superior in quality, but they just don't give me that cheap nostalgia hit that I'm after. 

For example, I can hear that this is inferior in every way to his original version in pretty much every way, but it just takes me back to listening to a 99p tape from the newsagents, playing Rings of Power on the Megadrive, and having not a care in the world.

• Paid Members

Not sure if either of these count, but they both came to mind.

Sound and Vision by David Bowie. I prefer the original version over the stripped down 2013 version but they're both fantastic in their own right. Credit to both of them as well for having almost the entire videos as "Most replayed" on Youtube as one long segment.

Another one would be Jocko Homo by DEVO . The original version of Jocko Homo which had a much slower tempo and for lack of a better phrase, absolutely fucked music video. Then the album version which is much faster paced and the version they ran with for the rest of the careers, which is fair enough because it's much better.

Not sure how you would count this, but Geoff Downes from Buggles, Yes and Asia did his own version of Video Killed the Radio Star. The instrumental version works well, but I'm not a fan of the version with Glen Hughes. Not better than the original, but it's worth a listen. Strangely Bruce Wooley, a member of  Buggles who co-wrote the song but didn't appear on the famous version, recorded it (and many Buggles songs) and released it before Buggles did. 

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members

I hope I don't regret this.

Many casual fans of Belinda Carlisle that love "(We Want) The Same Thing" are probably unaware the version they love isn't the original. The better and more widely-played version (Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! intro) is called the "summer remix" and was used by Peugeot in an ad in the 90s. The original version that was released as a single and was on the Runaway Horses album was a bit rubbish in comparison.

See you back in On Topic.

Yes the album version is more of a dance version and that's sadly how she performs it live although she still does the hey, hey, hey part. Although the Summer Mix is the version that was released as a single in most countries including the UK. 

edit: Yeah I like Belinda

Edited by westlondonmist

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

May I draw my downright dishonourable friend's attention to the thread tags?