Lucha Libre Thread - AAA, CMLL, & the rest of the masked lads

BomberPat

• Paid Members

Yeah thank you so much for this Pat. I really wanted to get into Lucha but didn’t think there was any other interest on the board, glad I’m wrong! I’ll start checking it out. I have watched a little bit of CMLL recently (they are drawing big crowds at Arena Mexico) but I haven’t seen any AAA at all

If you can recommend five or so matches from the last few years I’d welcome it very much!

I went to Mexico in 2011 and the hotel put Triplemania on a TV in the bar for me. I can’t remember much of it apart from La Parka had a class match and RVD was in the main event. I had a La Parka mask with me but was too shy to wear it. Here I am with it from last year at a local Indy! It cost way too much money but I love it (I’m on the left)

D415C5AA-5073-4AF4-AA95-117586F3B0AF.thumb.jpeg.314e05b25664836ef0204d583fcaf044.jpeg

• Paid Members

There's only been two Indy PPVs I ever paid for and they were both just to see one match, one of those was LA Park vs Masato Tanaka. I love him.

I skim through the Triplemanias most years with no context or knowledge of the scene at all, there's usually something that'll catch my interest, this one looks dire. It will take a hell of a forklift staredown to stop me fast forwarding through Nemeth/Alberto!

• Paid Members

I've watched very little actual lucha over the years, save odd bits on TWC back in the day. But I do quite regularly disappear down Wikipedia rabbit holes into that world, tracing through all the Hijos and Jrs and the naming conventions around that, etc. 

I always enjoy finding out the English translation of lucha names I come across, which tend to either be very cool or bonkers or both. This the makes me wonder if a wrestler being called "Cibernetic Arm" seems as mad to a Mexican as it does to me.

I recall a few years back there was a very cool looking coffee table book of photos of lucha masks which I'd have liked to have picked up, but I think it was very expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 1:01 PM, JLM said:

La Parka 2 sadly passed away following complications from an injury sustained from a botched dive to the outside. LA Park however, has said that he will never go back to the La Parka name, nor will his sons, out of respect for the deceased La Parka 2.

LA Park has two sons, who also do the gimmick as El Hijo Del LA Park and LA Park Jr. Most notable outside of Mexico for being fired by MLW (along with LA Park himself) for stiffing the hell out of Alexander Hammerstone and Jacob Fatu during a post match angle. LA Park’s uncle also did a Super Parka gimmick. 

Lastly La Parka 2 has a son, but the son is working as Karis La Momia Jr. In honour of his father’s previous gimmick. However, it is thought that if he develops/gets good enough he may eventually become La Parka Jr. Which would also technically make him La Parka Jr Jr. 

La Parka's injury that led to his death is one of the worst thing's you'll see in wrestling. A perfect storm coming together of La Parka's arm injury (he hadn't had full use of his right arm for years) it was the first time he'd worked with Rush and Rush probably didn't know to be nearer the ring for the dive, he clipped one of his legs on the rope and flew off head first into the metal barrier. it sounds comical but it sounded like a car wreck.

There's also at least 3 La Parkita's, first one murdered, second one is/was Mini Rey Misterio and 3 or 4 people have played Parka Negra.

I've been watching Lucha for years but lost my way during the pandemic and haven't got back into the routine of watching week to week plus CMLL and AAA's tv situation changed. I've mostly only watched the bigger shows since the pandemic. I have recently caught up on some AAA from the end of 2023 and start of 2024. I'd recommend

AAA Guerra De Titanes 19.11.2023 - Arez & Komander vs. Forastero & Sanson

AAA Guerra De Titanes 19.11.2023 - Cage Match: Lady Shani vs. Chik Tormenta

AAA Guerra De Titanes 19.11.2023 - El Hijo del Vikingo vs. Dralistico - Sloppy at the beginning but picks up half way through

AAA/Impact Wrestling Ultra Clash 26.11.2023 - Forastero & Sanson vs. Arez & Frankie Kazarian

Only recommended if you like the traditional AAA Atomico's (1 Guy, 1 Woman, 1 Mini, 1 Exotico on each team) matches which are fun not the "we're trying to have a great match" matches.

AAA Retro 06.01.2024 - El Elegido/Estrellita/Mini Charly Manson/Pimpinela Escarlata vs. Arez/Jessy Ventura/Lady Shani/La Parkita

AAA Retro 06.01.2024 - World Mixed Tag Team Title: Abismo Negro Jr/Lady Flammer (c) vs. Aero Star/Fabi Apache vs. Drago/Sexy Star

and if you love a Lucha brawl with blood, fighting around the arena and LA Park throwing boxes of glass bottles at Rush (which i do) then....

AULL Pokar De Reyes - LA Park vs Blue Demon Jr vs Rush vs DMT Azul

Edited by ultimo the great

On 3/19/2024 at 1:19 PM, JLM said:

Also a huge fan of LA Park and his sons in their Los Parks gear: 8C1FA8C5-EC2B-499E-B770-CD43999B1E48.thumb.jpeg.2a9b4516e9464e5f63faca1bdbb5afea.jpeg

Definitely some of my favourite Lucha masks ever, totally  bad ass. 

LA Park Jr's regular mask is also GREAT

WHWyScs.jpeg

XiFiucv.jpeg

• Paid Members
On 3/19/2024 at 7:01 PM, waters44 said:

I had a La Parka mask with me but was too shy to wear it. Here I am with it from last year at a local Indy! It cost way too much money but I love it (I’m on the left)

D415C5AA-5073-4AF4-AA95-117586F3B0AF.thumb.jpeg.314e05b25664836ef0204d583fcaf044.jpeg

Nice! Here's mine:

Screenshot_20240412_185337_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.af848886bf04b00cd495be06062ee985.jpg

On 4/11/2024 at 10:31 PM, waters44 said:

I watched via a guy on Twitter called Luchablog. He had a Google drive with loads of lucha on but he’s had to close it down 😥

He'll find somewhere else to post them or might try opening the drive again and hope it was just Dos Leyendas that got flagged.

Very few are going to pay the CMLL subscription so people not having access to what he posts would probably make his site a lot less busy.