It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

They went full on with that main event and it was sensational. For the first time in decades, there's a trust in the company to actually do it right. And they did. The camera work and the commentary were excellent all night. You could actually watch and listen to it! We've been fed shit for so long you forgot that WWE is the top company in the world. They're the best at it when they get it right.

Once upon a time, before I just got angry about The Rock or paranoid about WWE's handling of Cody Rhodes, I did a post on here (after All In) about why at its best I absolutely loved AEW at times. It was because, at their best, their shows are love letters to the pro-wrestling world in its entirety; a Danielson classic here, a hard-core homage there, a nod to Japan somewhere else, oh look heres a Freebirds tribute. That sort of thing.

I think this Wrestlemania is so good because it was the WWE version of that.

WWE is obviously a more insular universe, so it was a love letter strictly to itself and its own history, but it was a love letter nonetheless.

After years of snark and cynicism and the vague hint that at best the WWE hates pro-wrestling, and at worst hates both pro-wrestling and pro-wrestling fans, this was something completely different. This was the biggest stars of past, present and future going 'yeah, you know what, we love it as much as you do. It's great isn't it? Don't feel ashamed, it's okay to love this silly shite.'

It peaked in the main event of Night 2 obviously, but across both nights it felt like WWE finally made peace with themselves, who they are and who we as an audience are.

It was great. It felt like a big celebration of WWE, and a reassurance that the future is going to be something better that we can all enjoy.

Watch them book Baron Corbin to feud with Cody now..

I love it.  Actual emotion, that's what great wrestling provides.  I love the passion of the commentators, don't see why it's not appropriate for her.  She still delivers the line well but it's much better than a simple "Your winner by pinfall, Cody Rhodes.   Rhodes."

I'm with the kidz on this one, she's fab.

6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Look, lads. You can dislike her if you want, but just know that you’re wrong. Extremely wrong.

Apparently this makes her "unprofessional" according to some people. 

It's as if these people are friends in a company and have genuine emotion for their friends success. Mad I know.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Anyone wanting my thoughts on why I don't love Samantha Irvin can consult this video

I said fuck off out loud when she started “crying” when announcing Cody as the winner. They of course filmed her and it’s so ridiculously fake. She was honestly the worst part of Mania for me. I don’t get the love.

I thought Michael Cole would be the worst part as I do find him irritating. But he must have a new lease on life now Vince isn’t screaming down his ear. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had enough of him for a lifetime. But this was UK Championship Tournament Cole. A much easier listen. 

2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

They of course filmed her and it’s so ridiculously fake

You think that's fake? She's a hell of an actress then, that's proper ugly crying.  Of course they filmed her, they film everything, they're a film production company.

Posted (edited)

I actually had no real beef with the Cody call, it fit the moment.

I thought the Damian Priest 'hes cashing in' call was horrible.

But yeah, my point remains she's absolutely brilliant at what she's trying to do/what they want. I just don't want it.

She's pomegranate seeds. No matter how good they are if you like them, they're still going to make me feel ill.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

She’s a ring announcer that’s made herself relevant and trend worthy and people can’t decide whether what she’s doing is fake or not. Love her or hate her you can’t deny that she’s great at her pro wrestling job. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

2 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I said fuck off out loud when she started “crying” when announcing Cody as the winner. They of course filmed her and it’s so ridiculously fake. She was honestly the worst part of Mania for me. I don’t get the love.

Isn’t that just a fan video? Even if it’s not, it doesn’t really matter, they film everything. Why would she bother faking it? I’ve I’d been at ringside witnessing all of that unfold in front of me, I’d be overcome by emotion too; if anything, credit to Cole and co for keeping it together. 

The fact Roman revealed after that he’s still undergoing oral chemotherapy and likely will be for the rest of his life added a whole new layer of amazing to it for me. Credit to Cody for making us all care, but credit to Reigns for everything he’s achieved in spite of what must be terrifying circumstances. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

If you want your WWE to be sterile, robotic, emotionless shit then you’re in for a treat with the Network. There’s a solid couple of decades worth of programming like that for you to binge.

I much prefer this new stuff, where people actually feel real, with real emotion, talking like real people, randomly shouting, “shit!” And even if Samantha’s crying is fake (I don’t think it is, but whatever), since when has that mattered? It’s pro-wrestling. That’s the point. Everything is fake, and it’s at its best when you get caught up and can’t tell for sure. Cody didn’t really pin Roman’s shoulders down. That was fake too. Still fucking incredible. I was practically in tears in my living room. Imagine being that close to it, live! I’d have been sobbing alongside her! When he gave his mum the belt! Fucking hell. Close the industry down. We’ve peaked.

Edited by Supremo

10 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

I thought Michael Cole would be the worst part as I do find him irritating. But he must have a new lease on life now Vince isn’t screaming down his ear. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had enough of him for a lifetime. But this was UK Championship Tournament Cole. A much easier listen. 

I'm with you 100 percent. I don't need someone crying to tell me this is an emotional moment. I can see that with my own eyes. Its just a peeve of mine, She just comes across as fake. The way she pronounced the names of the states etc, its like she was putting on a voice to sound more epic, Didn't work AT ALL for me. But hey, if you like her, knock your socks off. We're all entitled to our opinions.