It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I genuinely have absolutely no idea why people are shitting on Samantha Irvin, I think she's fantastic. Looks incredible, strong voice, doesn't fluff her lines. Not sure where she's supposed to be going wrong.

She’s just irritating and I hate they keep filming her over the top reactions at ringside. 

She’s also dating Ricochet. So she must be a bit thick. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, FLips said:

Tony Chimel

I never took to Chimel. Probably because during the first peak he seemed to be doing B town tapings when Fink was still in Boston/Chicago and Mike McGuirk wasn’t available, and during the second he did Raw whenever Fink was off, so he always seemed “second string” to me.

Plus, I hold “Rated R Suuuuuperstar” responsible for the Justin Roberts School of Over-pronouncing Everything. I’m not sure I’ve actually liked a ring announcer since it was Fink on one channel, Penzer on the other.

Well, Joanna Rose aside.

Listening to The Rock at the post-WM conference, it really sounds like he's sticking around as a wrestler for a while, which is great news!  

Something that hasn't been mentioned much yet, but Cody was definitely getting booed.  Now, it's a Philly crowd but I presume they'll do it again tomorrow, which could spoil Cody's victory somewhat.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It's a shame that the Uso match had become such an afterthought during the build-up and ended up being a flop on the night too. I'm sure it felt special for the pair of them to face off but you get the feeling that the people just really don't care to watch them fight each other. As a tag team I think they're one of the best acts in the whole business, because the team is so much more than the sum of its parts.

In hindsight I wish they had at least built some sort of angle into the finish or fallout of the match that could have played into tonight's Bloodline Rules match.

Edited by Arch Stanton
Typo

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned much yet, but Cody was definitely getting booed.  Now, it's a Philly crowd but I presume they'll do it again tomorrow, which could spoil Cody's victory somewhat.

I touched on this earlier, but was (rightfully) distracted by how stupid FandangDwayne looked on his entrance.

But yeah, they've split the crowd which is a shame. It wasn't 50-50, and it seemed to stop by the final stretch when the fans got into it and stopped making a conscious effort to boo the babyface, but it was enough to be noticeable and give me PTSD about the bad old days of snarky, smarky, contrarian crowds.

The worst thing about split crowd's is that even a small amount of boos can overpower cheers, and it sounds like no one likes anything at times. Cody hits a punch, Rock-ites boo, Rock hits a punch, the crybabies boo... all just sounds like booing.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

32 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

She’s just irritating

Yep, this sums it up for me. I don’t think she’s half as bad as some on here do, but she has these moments that really annoy me. Did I imagine it or did she pronounce “The Ring General” in a German accent when introducing Gunther? What’s that all about?

Anyway, perfectly decent but unremarkable show, but my main takeaway is how many people dress like utter planks. Rollins should be sacked for his attire last night. I can’t even hazard a guess at what he was going for. DIY, Gargano in particular because it’s basically his character, doing fancy dress is sad as fuck. Miz’s robe and headband attire, which he’s been wearing for the last decade, looks like he’s just gone mental on create-a-wrestler mode. 

And then you’ve got the likes of Roman, Sami and Gunther, in my opinion the three best wrestlers on the card, going meat and potatoes and immediately stand out.

Oh, also, did anybody else notice one of the refs grabbing at Damien Priest’s foot while he was about to try and climb the ladder? Fuck was that all about?

I've been ill the last few days so am almost certainly more grouchy anyway, but I watched this on demand and thought it was mostly naff.

My friend had suggested inviting non-wrestling fan friends round mine to watch Mania live and I'm glad I didn't. From Becky's shite 3D overlay book intro, to her book themed attire, to Rhea Ripley's shite band, to twenty minutes of nothing until the first match begins, to that god awful comedy attempt for the intro to the ladder match by the two guys English guys, to a load of scrubs coming out for that match (including DIY doing a DX tribute act?), the first hour alone would have been painful.

It didn't feel that big as a spectacle visually to me either. The rampway was short and nothing to it, the crowd were in the dark for most of it so you couldn't get a feel for how big it was (which may be unavoidable, I dunno, but didn't help) and obviously the weather can't have helped with the crowd either.

FLips makes a good point - if you've seen one Sami Zayn match, you've seen them all. It was fine. It did the job. Nothing more, nothing less.

Highlights were R Truth and the main event (where I felt a gulf in class, though I think it went too long).

1 minute ago, Slapnut said:

Oh, also, did anybody else notice one of the refs grabbing at Damien Priest’s foot while he was about to try and climb the ladder? Fuck was that all about?

She was shouting at him to swap the ladder for a different one for the next spot because one of the legs were broken. He told her to fuck off and he "knows what hes doing". Then as the other guy ran up the other side, the broken ladder nearly buckled under their weight and fucked the spot up a bit. Priest then chucked the ladder out and Truth gave him a working one for the final spot.

I was wondering if that was the case but I just assumed it would be a bit weird for the referee to have noticed it but not the actual wrestlers. Was hoping for something a bit more juicy!

2 minutes ago, NeverYield said:

Well night 1 was a bit pants wasn't it.

Genuinely the first fully negative review I've read (I guess it's a review), would love to hear more.

I hate to use THAT cliché, but if there was nothing for you in Sami/Gunther or the Main Event, 2024 WWE might just not be for you.

6 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

No surprise they are booing Cody.

Why on earth would you cheer for him when he's up against a character like the Final Boss.

People tend to cheer good guys. 

Insane concept, I know.