It's Wrestlemania Season

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I won’t be having any Cody slander. You know how easily he starts getting choked up! Don’t upset him!

But yeah. He’s the best. On and off screen. Saved the industry by breaking the decades-long monopoly. Saved the WWE by being the top babyface they always wanted. Gonna save the whole company from The Bloodline. Calls The Rock out on his shit, outdated banter. Excellent, normal vocabulary. Great, sensible tattoo. Responsible dog owner. Cures the blind.

IMG_7748.gif.6229c5f33435c315066fc68d5c2b310f.gif

Edited by Supremo

He's an oddity, Cody Rhodes.  His present form is the proto-typical WWE top face, taking vitamins, saying prayers, kissing babies, Make A Wish and so on - but he only got the opportunity to BE this character by leaving WWE and creating this character in a completely new company, that he founded.  A company he ended up leaving mainly because his character no longer fit that company!

He seems beloved by smart fans for his AEW duties, beloved by young WWE fans for being the teutonic hero character, beloved by the wrestling community because of his Dad.  It's like he's become a cypher for people's desires for the future of WWE, even though as @Shane O' Mac Version 2 points out he's REALLY WEIRD.  

I hope he wins, and wins clean at Wrestlemania.  But I do wonder what will happen to this universal support after that.  I  remember how AEW faithful here turned sour on him during the Codyverse era, and that's kind of what I expect him to be as a WWE face world champ.  Enjoy Wrestlemania season because I suspect in a year's time we'll have had enough of The Man Who Fell To Earth and be all in on Rock v Reigns again.

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Cody 'The Alien' Rhodes is many things but bland is absolutely not one of them.

Everything he is and does is a bit 'extra', as the kids say. If anything, I'd say the most compelling criticism of Rhodes might be that he's a bit much.

Yeah, fair, he's certainly over the top in a number of ways. Maybe the descriptor I should have used instead of "bland" is "squeaky-clean".

I guess the drawback of getting into wrestling during Attitude is that I've always preferred my good guys to have a bit of attitude with them. Austin, Rock, HBK, Taker... never saints but I loved them. Never had time for red and yellow Hogan but Hollywood Hogan was kinda cool. Liked Cena as the Dr of Thuganomics and went right off him when he wore the brightly coloured shirts and did segments like "JBL is poopy".

Now we've got Cody, who is as by the book a good guy as they come. Not for me. He showed he could be a great prick initially during his post WWE run, joining Bullet Club and all that, if he brought 5% of that edge to his personality, maybe I could warm to him a bit.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

I hope he wins, and wins clean at Wrestlemania.  But I do wonder what will happen to this universal support after that.  I  remember how AEW faithful here turned sour on him during the Codyverse era, and that's kind of what I expect him to be as a WWE face world champ.  Enjoy Wrestlemania season because I suspect in a year's time we'll have had enough of The Man Who Fell To Earth and be all in on Rock v Reigns again.

There's an easy pivot to a heel version of Cody down the road if the reactions call for it. The man is literally dressed like Homelander from The Boys. Cody could easily become a bitter heel if he's rejected by the crowd once the "story" and the afterglow are a distant memory. 

• Paid Members

A bitter heel turn from a hero not getting the Mania he wanted this year? Taken.

Cm Punk Whatever GIF by WWE

32 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I guess the drawback of getting into wrestling during Attitude is that I've always preferred my good guys to have a bit of attitude with them.

Totally get this as a valid point - and there's no point trying to change your favourites - however I would say Cody has plenty of attitude about him.

He's landing blows on wrestling's biggest ever shit talker, whacked a retinue of Heyman's hired guards about with a steel chair, and wrestled a Hell in a Cell match with a pectoral muscle that was being held onto his body with Pritt-Stick. 

The only 'attitude' I see an absence of is some of the lower down tropes of wrestling's Greatest Ever Era™ which have aged equally bad if not worse than the PG nadir of around 2009.

What's so once in a lifetime and unifying about him is that he's got the kids and he's got the adults who - after years of believing we were in a holding pattern until the next Attitude Era came along - have successfully rehabbed and reformed from our 20+ year delusion that the Attitude Era was the be all and end all, and surely must come back piece by piece. 

Paul Heyman announced as the first inductee into this year’s HOF as per Triple H on Twitter:

He’s been a promoter, a manager, an executive, a “Wiseman,” and now, a @WWE Hall of Famer.

There’s more to say about @HeymanHustle, but as always, it’s best to let him say it himself… with a live microphone in Philadelphia. #WWEHOF

Going to be introducing how they gloss over him and Brock but probably the right year to put him in with Mania being in Philly. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

I won’t be having any Cody slander. You know how easily he starts getting choked up! Don’t upset him!

But yeah. He’s the best. On and off screen. Saved the industry by breaking the decades-long monopoly. Saved the WWE by being the top babyface they always wanted. Gonna save the whole company from The Bloodline. Calls The Rock out on his shit, outdated banter. Excellent, normal vocabulary. Great, sensible tattoo. Responsible dog owner. Cures the blind.

IMG_7748.gif.6229c5f33435c315066fc68d5c2b310f.gif

He also solved Racism whilst in AEW.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

He’s been a promoter, a manager, an executive, a “Wiseman,” and now, a @WWE Hall of Famer.

“Advocate” is how I’ll remember him. Much as the WWE presentation has improved a lot lately, I think actually ring announcing him as “The Wiseman” is unnecessary and cringey.

I’ll give him credit for the role, whenever he’s done his “Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman” spiel as cornerman for either Lesnar or Reigns, he always did a great job at convincing me the other guy had very little chance of winning the match.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

Second inductee confirmed by ESPN is Bull Nakano https://t.co/qyevpHRDos 

Happy days. Contribution to the wider industry, yes, but as a kid it was her match at SummerSlam 94 with Alundra that first made me realize “Christ, the women can do a hell of a wrestling too!”

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Long overdue and much deserved for Bull Nakano.
A very influential talent decades ahead of her time.

Yep. Having gotten to see Manami Toyota, Dynamite Kansai, Aja Kong, Meiko Satomura and plenty of her peers plus a load of the Kana/Io/Mio/Kairi/Mayu/Shida generation on my travels, Bull is one I’m sorry I missed out on. Her and Akira Hokuto.