Wrestling Awards - Best Men's Wrestler 2023

Wrestling Awards - Best Men's Wrestler 2023  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Has to be Gunther for me. While I've enjoyed pretty much everyone on this list, I remember more of Gunther's matches than anyone else's, so that has to count for something. The fact he's had such a memorable year without having - unless I'm misremembering - any gimmick matches is pretty remarkable. Nothing against gimmick matches, though. 

• Paid Members

I went for Swerve Strickland, but this is probably the toughest this question's been in a while - Danielson missed a good chunk of the year, so even while so much that he did was fantastic, I couldn't bring myself to vote for him.

I don't watch enough WWE to speak for Cody or Gunther, though both seem to have had great years. Mox, Cassidy and to a lesser extent Joe suffer from a bit of almost over-exposure; they've been consistently great, but consistently great in the same way that they have been for the last couple of years, so it's hard to think of them as 2023 stand-outs, they've just been doing what they've been doing. 

In the end I went with Swerve. He's the only one on the list who I feel really tapped into another level last year, and elevated not just himself but most of the people he worked with, and was always compelling to watch.

• Paid Members

Even missing so much of the year I had to vote Danielson. He's been incredible and on a whole new level. Feels like he's approaching his God-like Final Form. Just amazing to watch possibly the best to ever do it on such an insane last run. We are truly blessed.

Orange Cassidy was close though. Brilliant matches every week against a range of opponents while telling a slow and engrossing story of a fighting champion slowly breaking down but as his body crumbles his passion, desperation and drive to win only increases. Best story of the year.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yeah, it’s Bryan Danielson. Even with all the time he’s had off, with his whole body falling to pieces like a Cadbury’s Flake, he’s still managed to be the Wrestler of the Year because he’s the best professional wrestler to ever exist.

Banger run of TV matches with lads like Takeshita and RUSH, the best Iron Man Match of all time with MJF, brilliantly fun Anarchy in the Arena match, came back still obviously injured and had the best Strap Match of all time with Ricky Starks, had that phenomenal match with ZSJ, proper liquid wrestling, then was seemingly the architect and one of the MVPs of the Continental Classic, probably my favourite tournament of all time, playing his role perfectly to finally get Eddie Kingston to that next level.

Every single match. Cherish him. When he’s gone there’ll never be another one like him. The absolute very best ever.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Voted Captain Charisma but I'm more invested in Jon Moxley staying on zero votes.

Booooooooo! *blades, bleeds*

He fought his way from a meaningless title on a show nobody watches to being the AEW World Champion, despite being written off years ago as past his prime.  In the process he helped Punk to his best match since his comeback, restored prestige to the AEW big belt, and is about to make some new stars.

Samoa Joe.