I guess the grass WASN'T greener....

TheScarlettChad

Rusev jumping to AEW.  

He left his wife and a fairly prominent position on the roster for an entirely stunted run in AEW - some initial success and a minor championship, then an injury, and then years it seems of just... random promos and nothing.  I've not even seen him wrestle, not on Dynamite anyway.  His wife has now moved over and they are both spinning their wheels in the midcard.

Even Malakai Black has had a more successful AEW run.

• Paid Members

There's probably tonnes, but then even if the push fell flat, they might have gotten a huge contract out of it. Or it worked out down the line somehow. 

I would say Miro and Alistair Black are two recent ones, in that they haven't went on to have a run much better, if at all better, than what they left. Some bright spots, but overall I'd hardly call it a success either. Even then, they'll have come out with a big deal from AEW and will do great financially when the call comes from WWE again. 

Sid leaving WWF in 1997 might be one. While he goes on eventually to get another top push in Atlanta, and probably would have got another short term monster of the month type return run in the WWF for Austin or Rock or something, maybe the leg break doesn't happen if he's not in that exact moment in time. 

Snap @Loki beat me to it while I waffled about Sid. 

Edited by WeeAl

1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

Add Andrade to that list too. I never rated him in WWE either but he likely could have went much further than he has in AEW with his months off TV at a time and his tearaway stripper suit.

Not to mention his mrs is literally one of the most pushed women they have, He'd have been on TV if nothing else.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Sid leaving WWF in 1997 might be one. While he goes on eventually to get another top push in Atlanta, and probably would have got another short term monster of the month type return run in the WWF for Austin or Rock or something, maybe the leg break doesn't happen if he's not in that exact moment in time. 

That wasn’t so much a case of “the grass being greener” as getting Sid onto any grass whatsoever. Having missed a bunch of time with numerous injuries (including two PPV matches he was promoted for then reneged on) between Mania and one brief return right before the famed car crash with Scorpio/Furnas/LaFon, he went off again claiming neck problems which he’d need surgery for - that turned out to be true and the surgery kept him out for a year, but it was “the Sid that cried wolf” and the office told him he wasn’t doing enough dates to meet his contractual obligations so invited him to sign a new deal for less money if he couldn’t do as many shows as they needed. He refused, they let him go. I think both the WWF and Sids first choice would have been for him to stay - they’d already announced him wrestling Vader at SummerSlam - but it was an impasse that neither side backed down from their position. Completely avoidable in isolation but the ship had sailed in terms of Sid’s reliability or lack thereof.

15 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Wasn't he sacked?

Miro/Rusev was shitcanned I think in the first round of lockdown cuts in 2020. So not grass being greener, but needed grass. But I guess now feels the grass was greener at the place that sacked him. Miro since about early 2022 has been a weird cat booking and attitude wise.

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Miro/Rusev was shitcanned I think in the first round of lockdown cuts in 2020.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid those since there were so many.

Jeff Hardy leaving for AEW. Worked his ticket to get fired. I know he had personal problems and injuries after returning from TNA/ROH in 2017. He was still a regular presence despite all that. It's an unknown how staying in the WWE would have went, but we know the AEW run hasn't gone to plan.

12 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Yeah, I was trying to avoid those since there were so many.

Jeff Hardy leaving for AEW. Worked his ticket to get fired. I know he had personal problems and injuries after returning from TNA/ROH in 2017. He was still a regular presence despite all that. It's an unknown how staying in the WWE would have went, but we know the AEW run hasn't gone to plan.

We'd have gotten Jeff vs Roman at The Rumble instead of Seth vs Roman, He'd have probably gotten the DUI like he did in our timeline and been fired in March instead of December 2021.

For a while at least until he just became a highly paid solid part of the furniture for years I'd have to say Paul Wight, he became a laughing stock pretty soon after joining the WWF and was on TV losing for the sake of it even sooner. His initial run was fucking awful, wasn't the contract for ten years? I'd imagine he'd have been gone if it was a short one.