Warhammer/Wargaming Thread

CharlesTuckerTheThird

I play AoS weekly since getting back into the hobby 2 years ago (after a 20+ year gap). As someone who last played in the very early 2000s the quality of the models was staggering to me and that’s what really drew me back in. Now, 2 years and a small fortune later I’m starting my 5th army after Christmas and I’ve more models than I’ll ever get painted. I’ve dabbled into 40K but not seriously, am currently painting a dark angels army right now though so probably in the new year I’ll give it a proper go. 

• Paid Members

I used to play Space Hulk a fair bit (the original version, that had the Genestealer and Deathwing expansion packs), but it's just sat on a shelf for years as I've nobody to play it with now, and also don't really have the space to set it up.

I have a bunch of Space Marines, along with a couple of Rhinos and Land Raiders, that I used to like modding and painting, but I never got into Warhammer 40K properly.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, King Coconut said:

Wormerer? 

Wo'ammer!

I never played the main game - didn't know anyone else at school who played. Did try getting into it in the early 2000s with a Tau set, but it fell by the wayside.

A couple of good friends are lifelong players, so I became familiar with the Wo'ammer universe via osmosis, plus we played a lot of the peripheral games, like Chaos In The Old World, Silver Tower, Warhammer Card Quest, Blackstone Fortress, Necromunda, and we also played a couple of Warhammer Fantasy RPG campaigns.

With my main TTRPG club on Mondays, we've done a 40K campaign (Dark Heresy) and an AOS campaign of Soulbound. 

(BTW, think I've mentioned it on here before, but in case I haven't, the UKFF's [namely @Thunderplex'] influence popped up in one of the WFRPG campaigns - I'd told my mates about the BENSONS FOR BEDS masterpiece years ago, and one of them played a dwarf gunsmith, Sven Gunsson of the famous dwarven weaponers' firm Gunssons For Guns. Every time he met a new NPC, our GM would have the NPC exclaim "GUNSSONS FOR GUNS? THE GUN SHOP?")

I started playing 40k when I was 9 or 10 but packed it in when I was about 15 when my mum chucked all of my figures and my boxed sets in the bin. So nearly 30 years later I said fuck it and pre-ordered the Leviathan box. I've not even finished painting it all yet and I'm terrified of figuring out how to play but I'll get there eventually. I'm really enjoying the painting side, always preferred that aspect to the gaming side of things, and it's filling that 2nd edition hold in my heart.

As much as I miss the miniatures that got chucked away I've got a fairly good, if small, collection of 80's and early 90's stuff that I was given by my late brother in law- Citadel/ Ral Partha/ Rogue Trader minis, some sealed, some of the old paints and a complete copy of the first Bloodbowl. Will definitely have to get the latter out at somepoint and learn how to play. I keep putting it off because he's painted some of the figures when he was a kid and I don't want to touch his paint jobs.

9 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I used to play Space Hulk a fair bit (the original version, that had the Genestealer and Deathwing expansion packs), but it's just sat on a shelf for years as I've nobody to play it with now, and also don't really have the space to set it up.

Even though I've got a bunch of stuff left to paint I really, really want to get Space Hulk. I remember playing it in store around '94 or '95 and always wanting it, mainly because I always thought Terminators were the best (mainly the reason I bought Leviathan, for the new bigger terminator sculpts). I'm getting a real nostalgia craving for that game so can definitely see me parting with a chunk of money and getting either the original or the reissue they did around 10 years ago.

Edited by cobra_gordo

1 hour ago, cobra_gordo said:

I started playing 40k when I was 9 or 10 but packed it in when I was about 15 when my mum chucked all of my figures and my boxed sets in the bin. So nearly 30 years later I said fuck it and pre-ordered the Leviathan box. I've not even finished painting it all yet and I'm terrified of figuring out how to play but I'll get there eventually. I'm really enjoying the painting side, always preferred that aspect to the gaming side of things, and it's filling that 2nd edition hold in my heart.

As much as I miss the miniatures that got chucked away I've got a fairly good, if small, collection of 80's and early 90's stuff that I was given by my late brother in law- Citadel/ Ral Partha/ Rogue Trader minis, some sealed, some of the old paints and a complete copy of the first Bloodbowl. Will definitely have to get the latter out at somepoint and learn how to play. I keep putting it off because he's painted some of the figures when he was a kid and I don't want to touch his paint jobs.

Even though I've got a bunch of stuff left to paint I really, really want to get Space Hulk. I remember playing it in store around '94 or '95 and always wanting it, mainly because I always thought Terminators were the best (mainly the reason I bought Leviathan, for the new bigger terminator sculpts). I'm getting a real nostalgia craving for that game so can definitely see me parting with a chunk of money and getting either the original or the reissue they did around 10 years ago.

I tend to be a bit forgetful for various reasons, but I've found 10th edition pretty easy to learn, they've dialled the complicated bits waaaaaay back, which has been a massive help.

10 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Wo'ammer!

I never played the main game - didn't know anyone else at school who played. Did try getting into it in the early 2000s with a Tau set, but it fell by the wayside.

A couple of good friends are lifelong players, so I became familiar with the Wo'ammer universe via osmosis, plus we played a lot of the peripheral games, like Chaos In The Old World, Silver Tower, Warhammer Card Quest, Blackstone Fortress, Necromunda, and we also played a couple of Warhammer Fantasy RPG campaigns.

With my main TTRPG club on Mondays, we've done a 40K campaign (Dark Heresy) and an AOS campaign of Soulbound. 

(BTW, think I've mentioned it on here before, but in case I haven't, the UKFF's [namely @Thunderplex'] influence popped up in one of the WFRPG campaigns - I'd told my mates about the BENSONS FOR BEDS masterpiece years ago, and one of them played a dwarf gunsmith, Sven Gunsson of the famous dwarven weaponers' firm Gunssons For Guns. Every time he met a new NPC, our GM would have the NPC exclaim "GUNSSONS FOR GUNS? THE GUN SHOP?")

Not tried Dark Heresy, but I did play Deathwatch. We ended up with a heavy weapons guy with 2 bionic eyes and a Techmarine who would steal bits of gear from other players (at the DMs discretion) and make little statues of the Omnissiah after an unfortunate encounter with a Tau drone 🤣

You'd think being from the home of Bolt Thrower I'd have played but I've only really dabbled in the video games, mostly Dawn of War which is a super solid RTS. I've been more tempted lately with the redesigned Sisters of Battle who I always thought were the coolest looking faction as a kid, then for years was told they are awful to play as and seemingly out of date with the codex's etc.

How does the current version hold up?

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I've been more tempted lately with the redesigned Sisters of Battle who I always thought were the coolest looking faction as a kid, then for years was told they are awful to play as and seemingly out of date with the codex's etc.

And really expensive to play as from what I've heard. Second only to Genestealer Cults who are equally as cool looking.

Played both flavours of 'hammer in my school days (late 80s-90s) when it was cheap(er).

No way could I afford it now, even if I had the patience to paint (I always hated painting because I'm shit at it and just wanted to play the game).

Moved back into historical gaming after my RPG group ran out of numbers but the painting thing got on my tits again and we are now board & card gamers.

I can however for gamers on a budget recommend Dead Man's Hand & Firefight Normandy.

I've not really played a lot of GW stuff for a long time, aside from the odd game of Warmaster. I did play a lot of Blood Bowl over the years and still occasionally play online (on fumbbl, not the Cyanide games, the fact they never got the rules right bothered me more than it should) but it's drifted out of favour more recently although I'd still put it up there as best games out there. 

With Space Hulk being mentioned I've got that but not played in years, one of my fonder memories is from the PC game in the mid 90s that was (for the time, no doubt aged poorly) fantastic. FPS where you had to manage your squad of marines, either by orders or directly but ramped up tension and kept you on edge. You'd be controlling one then just hear screams over your comm link and find out that one of the others was down. Worked as a nice horror title as well as lots of dakka and evil beast slaying.

The game that has finally taken over Blood Bowl as the main game at our club is one that is kind of more suited for this sort of forum... Rumbleslam. It's by TTCombat who mainly do scenery pieces but also do some games these days. Rumbleslam is essentially the same as BB in that it's "fantasy races play this sport", in this case wrestling. The game is fairly quick and easy to learn and is usually a lot of fun but the best thing is definitely the minis and characters full of pop culture and wrestling references. Including but not limited to the hard to hit lizardman "Ceneleon" (you can't see him, of course), goblin Bushwackers, a group of vampires called the "Bleeding Heart Foundation" and so on. 

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

I have a bunch of Space Marines, along with a couple of Rhinos and Land Raiders, that I used to like modding and painting, but I never got into Warhammer 40K properly.

Worth a bit on EBay.