What If... Gorilla Monsoon Had His Own Podcast And Invited Hogan On As A Guest

BigD747

Gorilla Monsoon invites Hulk Hogan onto his new Podcast to discuss the first Wrestlemania, but soon becomes disillusioned with the Immortal One's lies and shady memory...

Harnessing the power of AI and taking my cue from Joe Marotta (who has done this already and I strongly urge you to check out his work as well if you enjoy this), this ultimate 'What If' can finally be a, erm, reality. This is possibly the beginning of this kind of thing becoming far more commenplace in the usual social media places. Anyway, enjoy...

8 hours ago, Tommy! said:

It's a small thing but why put those annoying tracking flickers on the video. That can get in the bin with crt filters and those old camcorder looking ones.

How else would people know it wasn’t authentically retro if it didn’t have the tracking flickers on it? It’s like putting the sound of a tape being turned over before a synthwave song. Authenticity. 

The software I'm using is called elevenlabs, an online AI voice generation site. It allows you to upload voice samples and then once it has 'learned' the voice, it works essentially as 'text-to-speech' - whatever you type, it will then say. Results vary and there is a lot of trial and error, but the better quality the sample, the better the results.

Some comments above have mentioned the more negative aspects of this kind of thing. To be honest, I don't fully disagree - it is a bit concerning at this early stage how convincing some of the voices sound and even though this was purely for parody/entertainment purposes (or an attempt at such), this kind of thing has opened my eyes more to how this is ripe for abuse in the wrong hands. Food for thought, I guess... 

Just as an example, if I wanted to use an actor or actresses' voice in a videogame but not pay for their services, I could upload clips of their voice onto this site until it had learnt them and then generate all the speech I wanted for the game.

The legalities of these processes and sites are very uncertain at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Loki said:

Just as an example, if I wanted to use an actor or actresses' voice in a videogame but not pay for their services, I could upload clips of their voice onto this site until it had learnt them and then generate all the speech I wanted for the game.

The legalities of these processes and sites are very uncertain at the moment.

I'm sure there's already been talk by the big companies to do similar to not pay workers, I know in film they're already talking about using AI to replace extras.

13 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I'm sure there's already been talk by the big companies to do similar to not pay workers, I know in film they're already talking about using AI to replace extras.

It's been mooted for a long time.

I was at a developer conference over a decade ago, and a guy from Ubisoft was proposing voice generation for large MMOs, based on a payment for usage of voice algorithm.  He was also proposing a similar system but for music composition - something that went down VERY badly with the professional composers in the audience!

In my last stint at EA I was looking at realtime generation of voice in-game (i.e on the fly in the game engine) and EA has started putting together tech for this but it's still early days and the results are poor.  That was 18 months ago though.  Again for something like a vast MMO the advantages of having just a text script and voices generated on the fly is obvious.

There are significant problems though.  The first is around actors - I suspect they'd be very reluctant to allow these rights, based on a fear of what happens to the algorithm and how much future earnings they might lose.  Another stems from this - once you have a system like this in a game, it'd be very easy for hackers to get that character/actor to say some awful shit in the game, leading to legal problems for the developer.

As someone who''s spent many hours in recording booths with actors who don't want to be there (Roman Pearce, cough) I can see the benefits of AI generation.  That said, you are never going to get as good performances out of it as an actual actor who is motivated.

I totally feel the existential sting of it, not going to lie. I know it's just a more sci fi bent on the kind of labour revolutions that have always happened every century or so - killing off some jobs and creating others - and I don't nearly understand enough about it, but it gives me the willies. 

Also people who are earnestly like "Well do you even need the artist when the AI can do the song just like them, when you really think about it?" are fucking dangers.