AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

RUSH is the absolute business, as we've all been banging on about for ages. I don't rate his goon squad at all highly though. Might need an addition. He's the man though.Ā 

Loved the unique show opening. Definitely a nice twist on the formula.Ā 

I still have to laugh when I see some of these records when guys come out. Keith Lee was 10-2 and Dustin Rhodes 6-1 for the year. THE YEAR! They have three TV shows and these guys barely have a match once a month! When that's the case, with so, so many people, the roster is way too big.Ā 

I liked that Garcia, Archer, Briscoe and Lee were all remembered about this week and given wins ahead of jobbing to main eventers. It's a bit too quick of a turnaround, ideally they would win 3 or 4 first, but it's something. Plus, all the matches are not obvious "it'd be a crime if this match was missed out on" type deals, but once they were announced I was thinking "hell yes I'd like to see that". Job done.Ā 

House of Black can still do one.Ā 

• Awards Moderator

Couple of things to look forward to on this weekā€™s show. Adam Copeland and Lance Archer facing off in their six man tag could be great, and Willow Nightingale vs Julia Hart has a lot of potential. Julia has improved so much this year, in the ring and as a character, and sheā€™s becoming one of my favourites in the womenā€™s division. Make Brody King her full time backup and give her the TBS title.

The last few weeks people have fantasy booked a big multi-man match for World's End. I was never a massive fan of the idea, although I grew to like it with the belief that MJF would defy all the odds to still make it out as champion. Kicking off and quickly wrapping up the 2024 bidding war angle that's been hovering over AEW for years now.

And I definitely prefer that over the reality we're getting. The Continental Classic may well live up to the name and expectations, but looking at the scheduling it goes from the Dynamite after Full Gear all the way upto Dec 27th. 3 days before World's End. Going by how they often make tournament winners/final blatantly obvious. This has the makings of a rather dull affair, just with some decent matches along the way.

Ā 

• Paid Members

The roster is so stacked you could never settle on 12 without having to painfully leave out like 10 other great guys. I'm sure fucking Jericho will worm his way in their though.

@Infinity LandĀ do you enjoy anything about AEW? Everything they do seems to make you miserable. Maybe it's time you knocked it on the head?

• Paid Members

Watch them announce Matt Hardy as one of the twelve participants.

IMG_6817.gif.50f9658da3ebac86e24cfa9135f5a53a.gif

It was another mostly good show that showed further promise and an earnest attempt to improve. Tonyā€™s announcement didnā€™t even have a pre-announcement! Rush continuing his run as the most violent babyface of all time! Lance Archer smashing up some plants, to the point that the real security guard looked terrified he was next to get pounced! Hangman in another Texas Death Match! Yes!

Plus, great to hear Kevin Kelly was, ā€œon assignment.ā€ Hopefully his assignment was to fuck off forever. Collision is vastly improved without Kevin quietly calling everything like itā€™s a round of golf. Nigel and Tony make a great team now Nigel has found his feet and confidence, too.

Most glaring negative was that they didnā€™t even risk letting Paul Wight walk on camera. They did his entrance during the ad break and all that was required for the angle was for him to stand up out of his seat. Iā€™m fascinated as to what theyā€™re going to do next week to hide the fact that heā€™s a complete wreck. Some type of video game bit? A literal banana peel on the ramp as he walks to the ring? An attack backstage where all his gold rings fly off him?

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Iā€™m fascinated as to what theyā€™re going to do next week to hide the fact that heā€™s a complete wreck

I'm assuming he's just going to stand perfectly still (possibly leaning against a wall) and punch people as they run up to him.

16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm assuming he's just going to stand perfectly still (possibly leaning against a wall) and punch people as they run up to him.

Surely he's just going to stand next to Jericho, punch him, complete the inevitable turn and then they'll end the show so he doesn't have to do anything else.

46 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Ā 

@Infinity LandĀ do you enjoy anything about AEW? Everything they do seems to make you miserable. Maybe it's time you knocked it on the head?

Plenty (have you seen the Full Gear line-up!), but as that often amounts to good-great matches. Those mentions are easily drowned out by some of the negatives/observations and just general commentary that has nothing to do with pros/cons.

Sorry I didn't rush online and fanboy over the American G1.

• Paid Members

IMG_6820.jpeg.44c31cfda7e016844a8cd6821a7c24ca.jpeg

Trying to think of which dafty they could put into the tournament to recreate something as brilliant as this moment, where a complete idiot scores a fluke win, I suddenly realised they didnā€™t follow up on Danhausen saying heā€™d return this week! Gutted! I hope this isnā€™t a sign of Danhausen being on the outs with the company due to some mad loyalty to CM Punk. Learn from the parable of Colt, Danhausen! This friendship will not end well! He will ask for that comic book back!

But yeah. Itā€™s the most Bryan Danielson thing of all time to decide the best way to rest and recuperate a broken orbital bone in the weeks leading up to Wrestle Kingdom is to create and compete in his own G1. His career was always going to end this way, wasnā€™t it? Falling to bits, still going out there to put everyone over and then give them the best match of their lives.

IMG_6821.gif.f6a64cce537c2a903abd4a25f03e5d8d.gif

ā€Yeah, Iā€™m absolutely fine, guys. ā€˜Tis but a scratch! Let me go out there with Tony Nese for twenty minutes!ā€

Edited by Supremo