AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

It does feel like the Saturday show is a prison of Punk’s worst nightmares; trapped on a B show, kept away from the spotlight and plaudits, just doing things with no real consequence whilst the Wednesday show continues unbothered.

I’m pretty pumped for Punk/Joe for nostalgia purposes, but knowing Punk is probably never going to have chance to work with the real AEW big guns makes the whole thing feel really pointless.

I want Punk v Omega, I do not want Punk vs Andrade El Whateverthefuck in a free TV Iron Man match because they need to fill time and the Wednesday lads are busy.

I nearly gave up on this show part-way through, but fast-forwarded through most of it instead. Collision is in serious trouble, it’s got very little going for it. It’s not even awful enough to be bad, it’s just an incredibly dull watch.

Even the big hook - Punk vs Joe - felt uninteresting to me. I have no nostalgia for their feud, Joe has barely been used in AEW and the Owen Hart Tournament means very little.

The only positive thing I have to say about this show is that the Miro promo was decent. Outside of that, this was one of the most boring episodes of wrestling television I’ve seen in a long time. 

It was nearly a full 15 minutes before we saw any wrestling on this show.

Action Andretti vs Scorpio Sky?! That's a sub-Rampage match (actually, Rampage is better than Collision lately).

Kevin Kelly and Nigel McGuinness suck. I can't stand their commentary.

Boy oh boy they are going to need to do a lot more to keep fans thinking Collision is as important as Dynamite. Even the Blood & Guts promo during Collision had me wishing I was watching Dynamite.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, 69MeDon said:

It was nearly a full 15 minutes before we saw any wrestling on this show.

And yet the next 1:45 was almost non stop wrestling. The tag match between FTR and Bullet Club Gold lasted longer than all the wrestling matches on Smackdown the night before. An excellent match I thought.

In ring, another really good show, but you can already see the issues with the smaller roster and what’s going to be the major stories going forward. Still, we only have a week or the cup left, Kevin Kelly is off for the next month, so let’s go.

18 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And yet the next 1:45 was almost non stop wrestling. The tag match between FTR and Bullet Club Gold lasted longer than all the wrestling matches on Smackdown the night before. An excellent match I thought.

I don't watch WWE, so I wouldn't know, but, agreed, it was a great match

I skimmed through collision this morning. I feel sadly that with the roster they are using this feels a bit stale

I've seen a version of ftr vs bullet gold for the last few weeks and as a normal match tonight I don't wanna see it 2 out of 3 next week. Not bothered by the owen finals either. 

During these summer months where they need to build this brand up before the autumn as dynamite is going to be red hot going into all in, all out and Arthur ashe 

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The only positive thing I have to say about this show is that the Miro promo was decent.

Now don’t get me wrong here I absolutely love Miro but the man has been cutting the same promo every time he appears for about 3 years now.

Yeah, you can see the holes in Collision.

I thought the Tag Team match was good, but the ending was a bit scruffy. 

Joe/Punk was great as just a tough scrap. I think at this point the Punk hatred is probably obscuring people to what he does well, which is wrestling. Let’s not forget, before he fell out with the Wednesday crowd, his AEW run was being hailed as legendary and the best run of his career.

Outside of those two things… Eesh.

Miro’s promo was rubbish, and undermined by the ‘double jointed hot wife’ line. Not everything needs to be tongue in cheek.

Starks/Hobbs was scruffy. Everything else was just sub-Rampage shite.

Everyone needs to make friends, get Punk, FTR and Joe on the big boys show and forget this ever happened.

Given the reports that, again, Punk has offered to work Wednesdays, you have to think at some point a resolution is reached. Surely you don’t allow your biggest star to be frozen out? Though, I guess when the majority of your fans are still willing to cast Punk as the petty one, why not just dig into the grudge.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Given the reports that, again, Punk has offered to work Wednesdays, you have to think at some point a resolution is reached. Surely you don’t allow your biggest star to be frozen out

I think it's more that they want people to tune into Collision and the big selling point is it's the only place to see CM Punk. If Punk is on Dynamite too then why bother watching Collision?

16 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I think it's more that they want people to tune into Collision and the big selling point is it's the only place to see CM Punk. If Punk is on Dynamite too then why bother watching Collision?

I’m not sure about this, they’ve created a Saturday prison for the prodigal son haven’t they? 

I think Collision is pro-wrestling Siberia, and it’s no place to keep arguably your biggest star. 

I think on current trajectory, ratings will continue to plummet as there just isn’t enough on the show to sustain viewership, Punk will probably the eat the blame and everyone will say ‘see, we don’t want or need him’. Which is fine, it’s just a shame.

They’ve got a big star, with limited time left… losing him to Heat 2.0 just feels a bit mad.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, SuperBacon said:

Sorry, but Tony Khan is a genius.

This will absolutely be a failure as its a 3rd show (is that right?) at a time when they have too much TV as it is.

When it does fail, people will (incorrectly) blame Punk, his ego won't like that, and he will fuck off home to watch hockey and read comics, and Khan will have got rid of his biggest headache.

Genius. Toot toot motherfucker. Toot toot. 

Yep.

• Paid Members

FTR vs Bullet Club was excellent, as was the main event. Wasn't that into Hobbs v Starks, Would have rather seen Hobbs go over, seems like he'll be trapped in the QT Marshall Feud of No Consequence which is a shame. 

Four weeks in, they do need a bit more variety of talent on the shows (and not Action fucking Andretti) but overall I'm still enjoying them. This week's was a lot better than last weeks.