AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

4 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

10 minutes of the Japanese women beating the hell out of eachother each week would be a welcome addition. 

Reminds me that Utami Hayashishita was in the US but only got a match in ROH and not AEW.

Wonder if that was a decision by Utami, TK or if whoever actually calls the shots in Stardom these days didn’t want one of their top stars anywhere near AEW TV.

Imo that is where Dark is a bit of a loss to AEW, could have definitely seen her battering someone on Dark or Elevation. 

Should be noted that I believe Utami won all of her US matches and I suspect that Stardom are much more protective of their top stars (especially with the 5* GP just starting which Utami is a favourite to win) than TJPW have been. 

As they should be. 

Of course it could have also just been a timing issue.

2 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Reminds me that Utami Hayashishita was in the US but only got a match in ROH and not AEW.

Wonder if that was a decision by Utami, TK or if whoever actually calls the shots in Stardom these days didn’t want one of their top stars anywhere near AEW TV.

That was a last minute booking. She main evented the GCW show in NYC. Didn't travel until the next morning and as people have learned it was a nightmare travelling to Canada with delays & cancelled connections. 

They didn't even get her music cleared on the day as it wasn't planned out. 

17 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

Of course a real answer to this would be Hangman. He needs out from under the Elite. Natural babyface on a roster that's light on them. 

Yeah this is it. The big plus with Collision is focuses on a core group consistently week after week. It’s been months since Hangman had that sort of attention and he’s crying out for it. Pairing him with the likes of Jay White, Miro, Starks and Punk has great potential plus it gets him away from the Bucks which is a major benefit at this point. 

On 8/1/2023 at 4:21 PM, Supremo said:

It’d be interesting to look back and see if a single person was complaining about Punk beating Darby when it happened.

I did.

At that particular moment Darby was red-hot, pretty much the most over act in the company - young, hungry, heading for the top.

I personally think that losing to Punk at the START of a story about how rusty Punk was and how he would improve until he became champ, totally took the wind out of Darby's sails and he's not been the star he was since.

I know we're now pretending it didn't happen, but Punk beating everyone and then fucking off with his ball, massively damaged a whole swathe of younger AEW talent, and it took them most of a year to recover back to a hot product.

Punk is... not Goldberg, or Hogan, or other large stars coming back into the industry.  He's just nowhere near their level and makes nowhere near as much impact.  If losing to Punk elevated people it might not be so bad but, honestly, who has come out of  feud with Punk as a bigger star in AEW?

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Punk is... not Goldberg, or Hogan, or other large stars coming back into the industry.  He's just nowhere near their level and makes nowhere near as much impact.  If losing to Punk elevated people it might not be so bad but, honestly, who has come out of  feud with Punk as a bigger star in AEW?

MJF.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

I did.

At that particular moment Darby was red-hot, pretty much the most over act in the company - young, hungry, heading for the top.

I personally think that losing to Punk at the START of a story about how rusty Punk was and how he would improve until he became champ, totally took the wind out of Darby's sails and he's not been the star he was since.

Yep, that's exactly the story I would have told. Have Punk put on a good showing but get caught in the Last Supper at the point he gets a bit overconfident. Helps Darby, wouldn't have hurt Punk IMO.

Eddie disappeared off tv completely and has barely been seen since.  He was just a one-week rung on Punk's ladder.  I love Eddie but it was his Blood And Guts moment with the petrol can that cemented his midcard status in AEW.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Eddie disappeared off tv completely and has barely been seen since.  He was just a one-week rung on Punk's ladder.  I love Eddie but it was his Blood And Guts moment with the petrol can that cemented his midcard status in AEW.

Him disappearing had nothing to do with Punk. He upped his game in that feud and cemented himself as a potential top guy, in my eyes at least. I wasn't really a fan previously really. That spinning backfist at the beginning of the match is one of my favourite moments in AEW. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

I’m still not convinced it’ll ever happen, and I’m not even sure I want to see the promos or the match, but reading about Tony Khan getting angry at Triple H calling AEW a, “secondary promotion”? Combined with Omega’s comments on Wednesday? And assuming Tony got a bag in last night?

It’d be really fucking funny if the, “secondary promotion,” stole all the headlines on the night of Summerslam by having Omega come out to go face to face with Punk to close the show. It feels right down Tony’s alley. Lights off lights on. Omega in the ring. Fuck it; point at the Wembley sign. Watch those final 5,000 tickets sell out before the end of the weekend. Suck your secondary promotion, Paul!

Edited by Supremo