Eurovision 2023

johnnyboy

• Paid Members

What?

Semi FInal 1

When?

Tuesday 9th May at 20:00

Where?

BBC One! (or in Liverpool if you're lucky enough to have tickets).

Get your scorecards here - just for fun though as the UK cannot vote in this semi final.

Semi Final 1 Music Video Playlist

2012 champion Loreen (Sweden) returns with "Tattoo."  None of the 21st century champs who have returned have won the competition, although Alexander Rybak (Norway) was the first act to win two semi-finals.  Loreen won her semi in Azerbaijan so she would be the first double-double champ should we win her semi and then raise the glass microphone  on Saturday night.  Lena (Germany) didn't have to perform in a semi as a big 5 act and due to her defending her crown as the host and automatic qualifier.

We're convinced that Azerbaijan's song goes into Sixpence None the Richer's "Kiss Me" somewhere in the middle.

In terms of performance I'm really looking forward to Moldova in this semi as the rehearsal footage looked bonkers, even more so than Israel with their something for the dads number.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

I've read all that and I agree that the Azerbaijan Proclaimers definitely has more than a hint of Sixpence None The Richer but all I can hear in my head is Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe Poe 

• Awards Moderator

First off, I’m no fan of Eurovision. I’d rather be stuck in a lift with Harry Kane and Bacon after he’s had a load of e-numbers than watch it.

But… town has been absolutely incredible this week. I live on one side of it and work on the other, so walking through it every day this week has been brilliant.

The setup has been really well done, but the swarms of people here to enjoy it - both local and tourist - is putting the top-hat on everything. I had no idea there were semifinals and all that, but even outside of the event itself there have been mini-events around town to keep people engaged and the buzz is ace. Everyone’s got a huge smile and it’s like a real party atmosphere, even first thing when I’m heading to the office.

I’ve acquiesced and will be walking into the middle of it all tomorrow to get involved. I must really love the missus.

Only downside is me inevitably asking her if her cousin can get some kind of memorabilia - anything at all - when she works the event.

”Who’s it for? She’s getting asked by everyone” 

@johnnyboy

”Who’s he?”

”Bloke off the internet who I’ve never met”

”…”

”Jonathan… Buoy?”

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

They've got Catherine Tate doing the UK scores. That's nil poi from me.

We've fallen so far from the days when Nigella did it.

21 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

”Jonathan… Buoy?”

That's genuinely lovely Frankie.  You having the time of your fucking life is all I need.

----

The two weakest songs in semi 1 from Azerbaijan and Latvia were the obvious ones to drop out.  The other three to go I thought could realistically have come from half a dozen.  Delighted that Moldova and my golden flute dwarf are in the big dance as well as the utterly bonkers Croatian entry.  The Irish moose knuckle was not enough to overcome the maximum insanity entries.  Felt Malta were hard done by.

----

What?

Semi FInal 2

When?

Thursday 11th May at 20:00

Where?

BBC One again, we're being spoiled (or in Liverpool if you're lucky enough to have tickets).

Get your scorecards here - the UK can vote in this semi final.

Semi Final 2 Music Video Playlist

Who the hell is Edgar?

Australia and Austria for me in this one.  Australia bring 80s rawk complete with some keytar action with a number that wouldn't look out of place on the Kung Fury soundtrack.  Austria have the ultimate earworm - POE POE POE POE POE.  Being possessed by Edgar Allen Poe who is helping you write the Eurovision winner is not a concept I've seen before.  It might not be enough to overcome the Loreen juggernaut, but it's the absolute runaway favourite here in Chez JB.  I would be devastated should Teya and Salena not make it to Saturday.

The early-mid 90s sound of Gustaph reminds me of carefree days.  For making me feel warm I hope they get through too.

• Paid Members

What?

The Eurovision Grand FInal

When?

Saturday 13th May at 20:00*

Where?

BBC One/iPlayer etc

Get your scorecards here - you can vote in the final but not for the UK if you're in the UK

*the Grand FInal starts at 8pm, but the BBC are leading in with Eurovision themed programming from 14:45 (only broken by FInal Score and the news).

14:45 - Eurovision Calling: Jason and Chelcee's Ultimate Guide (R)
15:45 - The Weakest Link Eurovision Special (R)
17:50 - Pointless Celebrities Eurovision Special
18:40 - The Hit List Eurovision Special
19:30 - The One Show Eurovision Special

If you prefer a bit of toilet reading the Popbitch Eurovision Guide Grand Final edit is up.

Eurovision 2023: Life after nul points for Jemini

spacer.png

My boy.  My beautiful boy.

Edited by johnnyboy

My mam never liked it when Wogan wasn't doing his commentary and it was Graham, bless.

I can't stand Eurovision and the fact cinemas are showing it, is utterly bonkers to me. Its meant to be a laugh. 

The idea of a bunch of people in a dark room gawping at a screen of music in silence is just weird, And its four hours! 

Edited by TheScarlettChad

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

The idea of a bunch of people in a dark room gawping at a screen of music in silence is just weird, And its four hours! 

It won't be in silence. Just because it's in a cinema it doesn't mean people will treat it like a film. It will be noisy. When AEW are at Wembley Stadium the whole stadium won't chant the referees a wanker and go for a pie after 45 minutes, and considering you are on a forum dedicated to watching people in their pants pretending to fight who are you to comment on the weirdness of other people. 

• Paid Members

Heading to a Eurovision do at a friend of ours this evening - I was initially just on pickup duties but I've since learned there will be a BBQ and this altered my stance on the matter. 

1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

If you prefer a bit of toilet reading the Popbitch Eurovision Guide Grand Final edit is up.

Thank you Jonathan Buoy. I'm a complete Eurovision novice who's knowledge only really extends to the Netflix film, so I'll read this with gusto. 

On 5/10/2023 at 7:15 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

Only downside is me inevitably asking her if her cousin can get some kind of memorabilia - anything at all - when she works the event.

That's ace, hope she gets to take in the experience of it all and see some of it in the flesh!

Edited by Fatty Facesitter