Eurovision 2023

johnnyboy

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Maybe they'll grow some next year?

Next year Brazil are in Eurovision so it doubt it.Ā 

I couldn't work out all night what Loreen's outfit reminded me of, but at the end it hit me. If you've ever seen any of the Stargate SG-1 series she is dressed like the To'Kra

I thought Graham Norton and Hannah Waddingham were fantastic. Treated the whole thing with just the right amount of contempt. Was Catherine Tate drunk? The scaffolders who packed her into her dress deserve a medal.Ā 

• Paid Members

Could have done without a coronation two weekends in a row.Ā  It does show what a hiding to nothing established artists with a fancied song are on though when it would have been more of a story if Loreen hadn't won.

Loreen becomes the second artist to win twice, the first woman to win twice, and the first this century.Ā  I think she breaks the modern per-jury score by about 0.1 points per jury too.Ā  Amazing all told, but just felt so expected.

I don't think they namechecked him, but I think "Bill Bailey" sitting next to her was Thomas G:Son who has been involved in more Eurovision tracks than even I've had hot dinners.Ā  It's not uncommon for two countries to perform different songs of his at the same contest.

Glad Australia, Belgium, and Czechia got top 10, even if they were all closer to us points wise than to Loreen.Ā  Felt for Austria doing so poorly in the public vote.

Pains me to say it but the UK performance was instantly forgettable.Ā  As a pop song I liked it, but there was nothing like Sam Ryder's hyperactive bunny rabbit energy to pull me in performance wise.Ā  I appreciate that everyone has less energy than Sam Ryder, but even still it needed more zhush.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Is her voice just not that strong, because compared to everyone else it sounded like Mae's mic was turned down...

According to the odd twitter report she sounded great in the arena, so maybe a TV mix issue, or maybe they were standing in the part of the arena where the vocal mic sounded the clearest.Ā  I didn't notice a similar issue on TV for anyone else though.

Literally the only thing that is, and must be, live at Eurovision these days is the vocal so if you aren't a strong live singer you will struggle.

---

Loreen came second in her semi-final to Cha Cha Cha so The Rybak remains the only act to win multiple semi-finals.

Australia won semi-final 2, with Austria being second.

----

In the final televote Sweden didn't get a single 12, but they did pick up televotes from everyone except Finland.

Finland got televotes from everyone, including 12 from Sweden.

Israel received the first rest of the world televote 12.

The UK only received televotes from Ukraine (5) and Malta (4).

----

Italy won the composers award, which was the only thing stopping Sweden clean sweeping, as Sweden picked up the Artistic, Press, and Fan Club trophies/commemorative plaques.

Ā 

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

As @SuperBaconĀ mentioned Twitter was shite last night for Eurovision. The only thing that made me laugh was when they started that Liverpool medley and that fella murdered Imagine worse than Mark Chapman murdered John Lennon. The first tweet I read was "Why does Liverpool hate The Beatles?" Which seemed fair after that performance.

• Paid Members

šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‡«šŸ‡®Ā Like a Scooter song in that it was batshit mental but in a good way. Saw it and thought it was going to win. Huge pop among our gathering in hearing their public points tally. Gutted they didnā€™t get over the line. Teemu Pukki remains his nationā€™s most successful export.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡øšŸ‡ŖĀ Took a while to build but built to a good finish, like a good wrestling match. Hope those nails are clip ons otherwise a long night for her. Not my pick for the winner but good on her.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡³šŸ‡“Ā Banger, this was great. Thought it was a front runner and was surprised it didnā€™t do better in the vote.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡¦šŸ‡¹ A nice start to proceedings on the night. And yes, pay artists more!

šŸ‘šŸ‡µšŸ‡¹Ā A political thumbs up because of Mrs Facesitterā€™s origins and Iā€™ll be castrated otherwise. Got some Ricky Martin ā€œShe Bangsā€ vibes from this one.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡µšŸ‡±Ā Very catchy, nice production value. One of my favourite tracks of the evening. Think I might have a solo myself when I watch that back.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡«šŸ‡· Had some some good pipes on her. Missed opportunity not to do more with the dress I.e loads of people bursting out of it.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡ØšŸ‡¾Ā Imagine Dragons vibes with this track. Would be good on a film trailer. Mrs Facesitter appreciated his arms.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡¦šŸ‡±Ā I like how they were smiling throughout. Looked like they were cooking a lovely BBQ in their vignette.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡®šŸ‡¹Ā Totes emosh singer. On his knees sticking his tongue out at the end made my single gay friend blush (as in heā€™s single, as opposed to being my singular gay friend). Good.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ŖĀ The piano was playing itself! Mad. Also you donā€™t see Elton John leave his piano for a wander do you? Top effort.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡ØšŸ‡æĀ The long ponytails reminded me of Bianca BelAir.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡§šŸ‡ŖĀ Boy George vibes. Good pipes. Also full of love and appreciation when points awarded to him.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡²šŸ‡©Ā Flute guy was a gem. Lead bloke had the same hairdo as Adam Cole. Catchy.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦Ā Cool production values, cool track.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡©šŸ‡ŖLike a rock version of a Scooter track. Liked this, very surprised to see them bottom.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡±šŸ‡¹Ā Slow burner but nice.

šŸ‘šŸ‡®šŸ‡±Ā Got Israel in the sweepstake. Decent effort.Ā 

šŸ‘šŸ‡­šŸ‡·Ā Village People on acid. Superb. I want to go out on the town with them all.

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡ØšŸ‡­ Lead singer is handsome babyfaced devil. Sounded a bit like a young Russell Watson (for better or worse). Naff track though.Ā 

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡·šŸ‡øĀ Not great tbh. I liked the video game graphics though.Ā 

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡ŖšŸ‡øĀ Iā€™m politically inclined to say this wasnā€™t great, again due to Mrs Facesitterā€™s origins.Ā 

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡¦šŸ‡ŗĀ Nice to switch to a rock act but not a banger. Surprised they got a lot of points. Nice DeLorean though.Ā 

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡¦šŸ‡²Ā She looks a bit like Ariana Grande. Thought the song would be a bit moreā€¦fun?

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡øšŸ‡®Ā They all looked like a Slovenian Harry Styles in different outfits.

šŸ‘ŽšŸ‡¬šŸ‡§Ā Brexit

Overall - Had a great time watching it with some compadres. The whole thing is a daft, mad, camp festival of good vibes and everything thatā€™s good about the world. Lovely stuff.Ā 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

50 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

As @SuperBaconĀ mentioned Twitter was shite last night for Eurovision. The only thing that made me laugh was when they started that Liverpool medley and that fella murdered Imagine worse than Mark Chapman murdered John Lennon. The first tweet I read was "Why does Liverpool hate The Beatles?" Which seemed fair after that performance.

Genuinely saw someone say "Nothing by the Las, Bunnymen, Frankie*, Zutons, The Coral, Lightning Seeds or Cast but we get a Stock, Aitken and Waterman song?" šŸ˜†šŸ˜†šŸ˜† when about 75% of those bands are absolutely shit.

*Goes To Hollywood, rather than Crisp I assume, but I'd have been bang up for the latter.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Is her voice just not that strong, because compared to everyone else it sounded like Mae's mic was turned down and I'm sure it wasn't.Ā 

It sounded worse in the semi-final:

Ā