AEW London 2023

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I'm pretty out of the loop with AEW (I watched the latest Collision but hadn't seen much this past year before that). I'm going to this event so need to pick up storylines/characters.

Anyone have any suggestions on where would be a good place to pick up from/matches worth watching? Cheers

This covers a fair bit:

https://youtu.be/iN1ImahWV34?si=OuSVqyF-sEpa6OIw

30 minutes ago, DEF said:

Yeah he's definitely going to be on the show. He cut a promo two weeks ago and pretty much confirmed it.

Cool. Thank you for letting me know. Do you know if he mentioned anything about who he may be in the ring with on this show? 

9 hours ago, Louch said:

Why a bungle? Seems they believe their audiance will buy twice given loyalty of buyrates so far. Wembley availability probably biggest factor in dates being so close, move all out and you lose some of the holiday weekend for domestic travel stateside 

If they came out saying it was a PPV from the beginning fair enough. Give it the hard sell and actually promote the show as going to be worth it. Especially once All Out is made public and  justify two PPVs in quick succession.

Instead there was months of uncertainty. Every press conference, media call, and a lot of TK interviews led to the question being asked. Only for his responses to lead to press speculation, raising expectations  they would never meet (MAX, free on BR Live, Live on TNT/TBS/ITV, bundled as a package with a All Out to save money).

Khan was asked for clarification on the broadcast status of All In and whether All Out would air on pay-per-view. Khan said he can’t completely give a full answer yet. He said they are still working on the solution to that event and how they will offer it. Khan said he hopes to have good answers soon, but he said there’s a lot to consider.

As well as for the glass half empty side of the fanbase to call it a "glorified house show" as it wasn't a PPV.

From a marketing/promotional standpoint i'd class it as a bungle. Clumsily handled.

Edited by Infinity Land

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

If they came out saying it was a PPV from the beginning fair enough. Give it the hard sell and actually promote the show as going to be worth it. Especially once All Out is made public and  justify two PPVs in quick succession.

Instead there was months of uncertainty. Every press conference, media call, and a lot of TK interviews led to the question being asked. Only for his responses to lead press to speculate raising expectations that ultimately they would never meet (MAX, free on BR Live, Live on TNT/TBS/ITV, bundled as a package with a All Out to save money).

As well as for the glass half empty side of the fanbase to call it "glorified house show" as it wasn't a PPV.

From a marketing/promotional standpoint i'd class it as a bungle. Clumisly handled.

When you are trying to fill a stadium for the first time, giving away early you can watch it at home for 15 quid is gonna give people an alternative, so wasn’t a shock to me they wouldn’t commit to it before now. 

3 minutes ago, Louch said:

When you are trying to fill a stadium for the first time, giving away early you can watch it at home for 15 quid is gonna give people an alternative, so wasn’t a shock to me they wouldn’t commit to it before now. 

I get what your saying but I don't think that would hurt sales all that much

As you said its the first time doing a stadium that in itself sells it enough as worthwhile getting a ticket regardless if its going to be shown somewhere

I mean the diehards aren't going to not go because they know they can pay for it on TV and I think for most casuals it's the pull of a stadium event that makes it more appealing and it's priced cheaply enough to make it worth the effort of going to live.

I think it could work both ways in that saying it is a PPV right of the bat makes it sound potentially a bigger and more important show that is cant miss and has to be seen live

The 2 events most similar to compare it to I guess are Clash at the Castle and Money in the Bank and they didn't have issues selling tickets because people know its going to be available for 9.99 elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Louch said:

Except they've always said it would be broadcast.

For what it's worth, as well as all you nerds from here that are going :), I know a group of about 10 lads who haven't watched any AEW, used to watch WWE about 5-10 years ago, who were drawn in by it being at Wembley and just want to go and have a great time at a huge wrestling show.

One is most excited about seeing Jericho. 

So when you take groups like that into account it's not hard to see how they've achieved the number they have. Really impressive. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

From a marketing/promotional standpoint i'd class it as a bungle. Clumsily handled.

If my marketing and promotional bungles sold more than 75,000 tickets I'd be a much happier man.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

If my marketing and promotional bungles sold more than 75,000 tickets I'd be a much happier man.

More than one thing can be true. I'm sure all those Woodstock '99 and Fyre Festival documentaries that came out in the last few years were all about the rip roaring success they did at the box office.