CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

11 minutes ago, David said:

Is anyone actually making that claim?

No. And it's a weird argument to make that if people don't compare to Hogan, Rock, Austin etc then they're not a draw. So not quite sure why some people are even saying that. There's different levels of drawing and using the biggest guys in the history of the business as a comparison is daft. Plenty of people have been draws over the year but not to THAT level. Doesn't mean they haven't contributed in a meaningful way.

52 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

No. And it's a weird argument to make that if people don't compare to Hogan, Rock, Austin etc then they're not a draw. So not quite sure why some people are even saying that. There's different levels of drawing and using the biggest guys in the history of the business as a comparison is daft. Plenty of people have been draws over the year but not to THAT level. Doesn't mean they haven't contributed in a meaningful way.

I think it's more that  regardless of how much he has contributed, he hasn't beren able to bring huge numbera of new viewers that are connected to the product. I say that in general though. 

I will admit though that having Austin  Rock and McMahon in one place at one time was once in a century. So maybe it isn't a fair comparison but let's not talk like anyone is bringing the eyeballs in 2023. And regardless of availability of alternatives etc (e.g. different streaming services), good wrestling should draw big. 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

No one is brining in Hogan, Austin, Rock numbers in 2023 or beyond

Nobody can say that unless they’re Septic Peg with a crystal ball. The way people consume has changed but there’s always metrics of measuring eyes on the product. The reason I say “nobody can say that” is because nobody expected the 80s-early 90s gravy train of Hogan-Warrior-Savage and Flair-Sting-Roadies to come back round during the 93-95 doldrums but within a couple of years two companies were (for a bit) generating huge gates and millions of dollars again and making wrestling cool again for a while with the very three names you’ve mentioned plus The Outsiders selling nWo t-shirts plus Goldberg popping a rating or two.

Not saying it’s not highly unlikely any time soon but still.

One observation I noticed watching Punk’s entrance at the PPV, all 3 of his matches since returning, he’s wore all 3 stages of his career in ring gear

The first episode of Collision he wore the long pants associated with the bulk of his AEW run

The 8 man on Saturday he wore trunks, synonymous with his WWE run

Sunday he wore the long shorts that were a staple of his Indy/ROH career

6 hours ago, David said:

While waving his bulging wallet, in memory of the half a mill he earned per fight in the company.

They paid him in cash?

Anyway, at ease, I’m pro-Punk. But I do wish he’d just pick gear and stick with it, I find the endless changing distracting. He did it in his first run too.

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They paid him in cash?

I like to think so. Dana handing him a giant bag of ten dollar bills while he's sitting there all bruised and bashed up. The other fighters, all far superior in every way getting paid next to nothing in comparison.

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

He's such a boring little bitch. Feels like everyone in the world has moved on from all this now except him.

Exactly it was a chop. Austin held less of a grudge after getting dropped on his head