Elimination Chamber 2023 - The End of the (Blood)Line

d-d-d-dAz

Also, if Cody was a worst choice for business and overall fan sentiment (not just the people that buy tickets for televised shows and/or talk about it a lot on the internet) then he wouldn’t be the choice at all.

John Cena did big, big business as a babyface - yet throughout you’d have thought he was one of the most hated men on the planet.

Cena might be my favourite wrestler ever but TV ratings declined consistently throughout his time on top, no?

Anyway. Cody isn’t being booed so I don’t think Cena is the right comparator. He’s not moving ratings on Monday the way Sami has been on Fridays. By the available evidence Sami is the needle mover of the two.

I don’t really follow ratings as I used to, because it’s a path to madness, but this looks broadly positive;

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1200100/more-evidence-cody-rhodes-has-been-a-tv-draw-for-wwe/

https://www.thesportster.com/wwe-cody-rhodes-return-has-been-huge-draw/

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Even though the business model has changed drastically, if you want to bring it back to touring markets and who has the belt then WWE has always historically had their top face wear the gold and fend off heels. Sami would probably never have had that kind of run and at worst we'd probably have had a Kofi or Mysterio run on our hands. Cody's the guy to do it. He's the anchor you have pulling you from one WrestleMania to another, fending off challengers each week. On a broad level he seems far more likely to draw money across WWE's various markets and licenses. 

The whole goodwill thing to me seems predicated mostly on the kind of people who will watch and buy tickets no matter what anyway. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

Also I'm not daft enough to think this level of long term storytelling with Sami can just repeat itself to the same level, but he's still the same guy and still without his Mankind 99 moment. 

Imagine repeating this about a year from now, with Rhodes playing the anointed product of the system. WWE would probably be less reluctant to have the champ show a bit of arse, too. Cody exploding all over the place in an agony of tears like a creepy robot mayor in a comic book whilst Sami lifts the belt? Even for a night? 

That moment's still there. It'd be incredible. 

21 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

A villain always needs a good hero. There is literally no one left on the roster now but Cody to take him down. My question now, seeing hot hot the crowds have been for Sami, Cody being the chosen one, will the crowds turn a bit, or is he safe?

I think the danger is there, though I don’t think the crowd is as entitled and toxic as it was a decade ago.

Their booking so far suggests they know what they’re doing though. I wouldn’t be surprised if in essence it’s booked as Cody/KO/Sami v what’s left of the bloodline. Keep them close.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think the danger is there, though I don’t think the crowd is as entitled and toxic as it was a decade ago.

Oh for sure, most have grown up abit and just want to have a good time. Other than the tribalism between AEW or WWE, most just want to be entertained by a good storyline.