Wrestling Awards - Best Men's Wrestler 2022

Frankie Crisp

Wrestling Awards - Best Men's Wrestler 2022  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd genuinely be disappointed if Reigns didn't win this. He was consistently brilliant in 2022, and feels like an absolute megastar in a way that most other wrestlers could only dream of. Moxley was decent, but had his fair share of misses along the way - such as the weird Punk feud. As far as I can recall, Reigns didn't have anything like that. It's been a career best year for Reigns, and it's been a career best year for Sami. I'm not convinced the same could be said for Moxley - so I'm a little surprised he's leading the way, in spite of the fact most of us enjoy AEW more than WWE on this forum. 

Yeah I had to give it to Roman. Obviously I love Sami but his year has been a journey while Roman has been a constant. No one is on his level. Its been so long since I've felt the atmosphere change on that level when a superstar comes put but he does it. People talk about God Mode and I see it there. He's the unobtainable. Plus he's developed so much with his persona and delivery. He's just the complete package and he's always finding ways to surprise me too. His range these days is absolutely phenomenal. 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'd genuinely be disappointed if Reigns didn't win this. He was consistently brilliant in 2022, and feels like an absolute megastar in a way that most other wrestlers could only dream of. Moxley was decent, but had his fair share of misses along the way - such as the weird Punk feud. As far as I can recall, Reigns didn't have anything like that. 

The Wrestlemania match with Brock was the drizzling shits. A real going-through-the-motions, why-are-they-still-doing-this, trade-some-finishers House Show main event. In a never ending feud that almost always left you with that sense of Vince-needs-to-be-committed disappointment, this may have been their worst one yet, which is saying something!

Don't get me wrong, I can completely understand why people would vote Roman. His aura and the way he carries himself is unmatched right now, you can genuinely feel tension in the air whenever he makes that entrance, but I think there’s a lot of recency bias at play here. People seem to have forgotten that until Hunter took over and this Bloodline storyline actually became something, Roman would almost exclusively mumble incoherent, directionless nonsense backstage, look shocked at Brock Lesnar’s music hitting and then wrestle Brock Lesnar in boring matches. That was a solid six to eight months of his year.

It’s the ultimate irony. Roman only ever became the star Vince always wanted him to be once Vince himself was forced to fuck off.

Obviously, I voted Moxley. I genuinely can’t think of anyone who’s ever had the year he’s had. He proved WWE wrong when he originally left, but it was in 2022 that he absolutely humiliated them. They had this fucker pleading to have runs like this and they gave him joke shop props and fancy dress costumes instead.

Week in. Week out. That lad has delivered. Wrested everyone, everywhere. Elevated almost everyone he’s got in the ring with. Always coming up with clever, interesting spots and different styles of psychology. Motherfucker went through a stretch of just doing Bloodsport matches on international TV and somehow made it work.

Plus, it can’t be emphasised enough what an MVP he’s been for AEW. From the moment he returned with that phenomenal promo, he’s carried that entire company all year long. CM Punk injured? Mox saves the day. CM Punk gone nuts? Mox saves the day. Hangman gets knocked out in the middle of your TV main event? Mox saves the day. Need someone to get MJF over after all the plans fall through? Mox saves the day. Rampage numbers dropping? Mox saves the day. Even as recently as the last few weeks, he’s somehow managed to salvage the Blackpoool Combat Club. It seemed an inevitability that they’d just drop the act once the Regal bollocks happened, and yet here we are a few weeks later and they feel more cohesive than perhaps ever. Appearing as actual group, wearing the shirts, getting themselves back over as a bunch of double hard bastards, with Mox’s promos playing a huge part in that.

I mean, come on. Calling Roman consistent? Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

0FF5A919-8013-48DD-A8CA-FC85C62A9FA6.thumb.jpeg.ea72ab998912b964f2ac248a8da89172.jpeg

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Mox is a wrestler. Reigns is a sports entertainer. Mox has had a hell of a year in terms of match quality. Reigns’ matches are mostly dull (Logan Paul was the big exception).  I’m not even a huge fan of Mox, but in terms of what they bought to the table, there is no comparison.   

14 hours ago, Supremo said:

People seem to have forgotten that until Hunter took over and this Bloodline storyline actually became something, Roman would almost exclusively mumble incoherent, directionless nonsense backstage, look shocked at Brock Lesnar’s music hitting and then wrestle Brock Lesnar in boring matches. That was a solid six to eight months of his year.

I think you're misremembering - he only wrestled Lesnar twice in 2022. The Wrestlemania match was dull, I'll give you that, but the Last Man Standing match was loads of fun. 

If you want to talk about never-ending feuds, I'd point you to Jon Moxley and the BCC's never-ending rivalry with the Jericho Appreciation Society...

39 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Mox is a wrestler. Reigns is a sports entertainer. Mox has had a hell of a year in terms of match quality. Reigns’ matches are mostly dull (Logan Paul was the big exception).  I’m not even a huge fan of Mox, but in terms of what they bought to the table, there is no comparison.   

I agree, but not in the way you're intending. What exactly is a "sports entertainer", and what makes Moxley "a wrestler", and Roman not? Sports-entertainment is a term invented by Vince McMahon to make his product more appealing to advertisers. In short, sports-entertainment is wrestling. 

As far as Reigns matches mostly being dull - obviously this is all subjective; but even so, I think it's a difficult claim to back up. He's not had a huge number of matches, but the ones he has had have been strong - I don't really see why anyone wouldn't enjoy his Summerslam bout with Lesnar, or the matcher with Logan Paul, Matt Riddle, Drew McIntyre and Seth Rollins; for example. 

In addition, he became undisputed champion this year, carrying both Raw and Smackdown with The Bloodline; establishing himself as an absolute megastar in the process. John Cena was indisputably a star, but I don't remember him ever having the kind of aura around him that Roman does right now. 

The dynamic with The Bloodline is complex and well thought out, and the storyline with Sami Zayn has been one of the best things WWE has done in years. 

In terms of memorable storylines, outside of the feud with Danielson early in the year; I'd argue that Moxley was a bit inconsistent. He had great moments in 2022 (eg. the Punk/Moxley face-off, the Wheeler Yuta match) - but nothing really translated, for me at least, into a consistently great storyline. Often, he was underwhelming - the Punk and MJF feuds could have been much better than they actually were, for example. 

If establishing yourself as the biggest star in wrestling in years doesn't constitute winning wrestler of the year, I don't know what does. 

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Mox is a pro wrestler. Reigns is a pro wrestler.  You can give me star quality over match quality every day of the week. The business has been crying out for a megastar for a new whole generation, now it's got one. Acknowledge him ;)