Your Conspiracy Theory Free Pass

Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well that’s something not to be sniffed at. 

The way they drop their prices I'm surprised none of them get damaged. 

17 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

The way they drop their prices I'm surprised none of them get damaged. 

I’ve stopped being bombarded with comics for adults now. Every scroll I was always “Hello Smut” or “Hi Viz”

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve stopped being bombarded with comics for adults now. Every scroll I was always “Hello Smut” or “Hi Viz”

I always used to see them as well, especially when I lived in Vietnam. 

I’ve never understood the Shakespeare conspiracy, as in why anyone thinks he didn’t write them.  We have tons of his poetry to compare the plays to, it’s pretty obviously the same guy.

The other thing people forget is that some  of the plays don’t come to us in the form of the original script - they were recreated after his death from the memories of the actors in his troupe.  So they’ve gone through a filter of years and poor memory.  And some of the plays he probably wrote and handed off to someone else to finish.

What really struck me about Shakespeare, having actually read his Complete Works at uni, was how extraordinary natural his talent was.  He was incredibly prolific, banging out stuff so it’s not like he spent hours pouring over each word, it just came spilling out.  He read voraciously and then he acted as a filter.

And it’s good - so, so good, so clever and dense with meaning.  He is, for me, in a category all of his own as a writer, unmatched in any century or language.  English isn’t the prettiest of languages (French is much more lyrical sounding), but in his hands it’s golden.

Anyway, I’m a fan 😂

Edited by Loki

• Moderators
On 1/17/2023 at 8:21 AM, BomberPat said:

I've heard lots about how complex it is - that your phone recognises if it's often in close proximity to another phone, so starts tailoring responses based on that; so if your partner is regularly searching for things, that will start influencing the algorithm on your phone, that sort of thing. I don't know how true that is. In reality, most of us use one or two devices and only a handful of accounts to access everything - logging in with Google or Meta, or Apple, or whatever, so of course our data is in common across all of those places.

I (sadly) work in the "ad-tech" industry and while I don't think that google/facebook/amazon are passively listening and informing their search results, they do use a lot of other things. The way that ad's are targeted to you comes from many sources, but a fairly common way that people get targeted is via IP address. The algorithms are just trying to make an "informed" decision about who you are and what you may be interested in, so its possible that someone else sitting on your home wifi searches for something which then ties back to showing you specific ads.

One other thing that people aren't aware of is that FB/IG/Amazon/etc all track how long you "linger" at something even if you don't interact with it and use that to inform their ad and feed algorithms.

There used to be a fun website from one ad tech company that would let you look up what some data sources thought you were - could be scarily accurate or hilariously wrong.

• Paid Members

Luke Mitchell is innocent. 

I strongly believe that this is a case where the police pinned it on the easy target - the weird goth kid. Now, Luke Mitchell was convicted of a horrendously bloody murder. The pathologist who examined Jodi Jones' body said that the culprit would surely have a significant volume of blood on him, as well as injuries consistent with the victim fighting for her life (from the defensive injuries on Jones' body, she put up quite the fight). Mitchell was examined by a police surgeon when her body was found a few hours after her death and was found to have no blood on him nor any scratches or superficial wounds you'd expect a killer to have in that situation. Indeed of the search party of 4, Luke was the only member to be separated and examined. The others were not, indicating prejudice towards him from the onset of the investigation. There is the suggestion that her brother, Joseph Jones, who had been violent towards Jodi in the past and was the last reported person to see Jodi alive may have suspicion upon him. 

A big part of the prosecution's argument was that Luke Mitchell liked Marilyn Manson and had an obsession with the Black Dahlia. In actual fact, it was found Mitchell had bought Manson CDs after the murder had taken place and the pathologist contested that Jodi Jones' injuries had little resemblance to the Black Dahlia.

Luke Mitchell passed numerous lie detector tests while in prison about the subject. While not readily admissible as evidence, this certainly doesn't hurt his case.  

One of the prosecution's main arguments was that a man with a description similar to that of Luke Mitchell was reported to have been near the scene shortly before Jodi's murder. However there was no Identification Parade held and when the case came to court that same eyewitness failed to identify Luke Mitchell in the court room. 

Shortly before the murder, a drug addict by the name of Mark Kane was known to be in the local area attending a college. As part of his coursework he had handed in a graphically descriptive essay about murdering a girl in the woods which was troubling to his lecturers. A friend of Kane, Scott Forbes, recalls meeting with him just after the murder and noting he had deep scratches to his face which he could not give a clear and consistent reason for. Forbes contests to this day that Mark Kane is very likely to have killed Jodi Jones and not Luke Mitchell. But for whatever reasons, the police never followed it up. 

Luke Mitchell was found guilty of murder without a trace of forensic evidence against him. Instead he was found guilty of murder from purely circumstantial evidence and much of it is is tenuous. Furthermore, he would have been out of prison by now but he steadfastly maintains his innocence. Again, that leads me to believe the man is telling the truth.  This was 2003 where it was pretty easy to pin something horrendous on the weird goth kid who was interested in Satan and all that edgy stuff. There;s some good documentaries about it on Youtube if you're interested to find out more. Even if you are of the opinion he is guilty, I can't see how anyone can examine his case and decide there's even remotely enough evidence for a conviction.

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Moderators

Not really a conspiracy theory, but the same illogical blind faith mindset...audiophiles. I fucking love this lot, paying exorbitant amounts of money on stuff that absolutely does nothing but they will swear their experience is enhanced with nonsense statements like "more space allowing the mid tones to be crisper". Show them an oscilloscope of some music with and without their magical sound crystals being exactly the same and they will say its wrong because their ears are better.

Absolute loons who love listening to their gear with music.

I once connected some speakers to an amp with coat hangers to show some students how much bollocks audiophile cables are, over a meter distance none of them could distinguish between the cable and the hanger.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Loki said:

I once connected some speakers to an amp with coat hangers to show some students how much bollocks audiophile cables are, over a meter distance none of them could distinguish between the cable and the hanger.

Gold-plated hangers I hope for maximum attenuation. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I think it was Reddit the other day where I read that OJ Simpson son killed Nicole, and he covered for him, including the Bronco chase being a decoy to destroy evidence. 

It's not just nutcases that think this. The Channel 5 programme Autopsy put a fair bit of weight on this theory, taking into account OJ's health at the time.