• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

From Inside the Ropes...

According to a new report from Nick Hausman there is a "vibe" that Tony Khan and AEW are "in danger" of not being renewed by WBD on TBS OR TNT😲

Can you imagine the karmic energy if WWE takes the AEW slot on Turner due to Punk going to WWE, causing AEW to go under and WWE to snap up The Elite meaning he is once again colleagues with them? Delicious. 

Obviously this isn't what is going to happen, or I want to see happen, but it would be hilarious. Tragic and terrible, but also hilarious. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Daddymagic said:

From Inside the Ropes...

According to a new report from Nick Hausman there is a "vibe" that Tony Khan and AEW are "in danger" of not being renewed by WBD on TBS OR TNT😲

I don't buy it. WBD are an absolute dumpster fire, worse then when AOL and Time Warner merged. Cancelling completed films as tax write offs, removing series from streaming so they don't have to pay residuals etc. They pay $40m a year for 3 AEW shows and 4 specials and they are going to pay $100m a year just for one show which gets on average 500k more viewers then Dynamite. It just seems insane.

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don't buy it. WBD are an absolute dumpster fire, worse then when AOL and Time Warner merged. Cancelling completed films as tax write offs, removing series from streaming so they don't have to pay residuals etc. They pay $40m a year for 3 AEW shows and 4 specials and they are going to pay $100m a year just for one show which gets on average 500k more viewers then Dynamite. It just seems insane.

It'd be more than a $100m a year. I remember the FOX being something like $205m a year and the current RAW deal was worth more. The market insiders weren't thrilled by the 40% increase that Smackdown got on their next deal.

That's why WWE are keeping up appearances to show they are in demand. There's reason for WBD to listen not just domestically, it is a multi-national and they deal with WWE in other markets. Notably here in the UK with TNT Sports these days. Even if its all for show and pleasantries, both sides want AEW to get the lowest deal realisitically possible.

Until the NBA's deal is done i'm not holding out much hope for this to end.

I made the mistake of listening to Meltzer's reporting that Hausman is crediting within the article. Going by the audio he was hedging his bets saying the deal's being finalised, yet they're shopping around. It should be over soon, but it could be 6 months. That's the level of reporting we see in the wrestling media. Surely after being told these 4 named people, had a meeting at this time and place. One of the first things you would do is reach out to the respective publicists for an official confirmation, even if it amounts to 'no comment'

• Paid Members

The one thing you may wish to consider Scorchers is that WWE is already on WBD. Here. TNT Sports is WBD owned. So they already have an in. I know that there is the rumour that WBD have a minority stake in AEW, but there is also the rumour that unless they double the rights fees for Dynamite and Collision then AEW will keep losing money. Do WBD want to keep putting money into AEW or do they want to sign the proven leader in the field of Sports Entertainment? This sort of decision will be made by the accountants at the end of the day. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The one thing you may wish to consider Scorchers is that WWE is already on WBD. Here. TNT Sports is WBD owned. So they already have an in. I know that there is the rumour that WBD have a minority stake in AEW, but there is also the rumour that unless they double the rights fees for Dynamite and Collision then AEW will keep losing money. Do WBD want to keep putting money into AEW or do they want to sign the proven leader in the field of Sports Entertainment? This sort of decision will be made by the accountants at the end of the day. 

Whilst that is true Midders, TNT UK is owned by WBD and BT as a joint venture and the WWE deal was a BT Sport legacy deal. I know BT hadn't been thrilled with the WWE effect in terms of subscribers, though they did get the live Smackdown, NXT UK and Clash at the Castle. That deal isn't up I believe for another year or so.

And yes, they are the proven leader. But I go back to my original point, they will be paying a whole lot more for 2 hours less programming a week and there numbers aren't that much more then AEW, certainly not enough to pay over 5x as much. There was a reason Fox (in effect) cancelled Smackdown, because it did less then had been promised in the ratings and they wanted an increase. It feels like an absolute loss leader. Whilse if AEW sticks with WBD there is the option for them to have their own wrestling streaming service with ROH and AEW's library. They couldn't even bid for WWE Network for another 2 years or so.  

16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And yes, they are the proven leader. But I go back to my original point, they will be paying a whole lot more for 2 hours less programming a week and there numbers aren't that much more then AEW, certainly not enough to pay over 5x as much. There was a reason Fox (in effect) cancelled Smackdown, because it did less then had been promised in the ratings and they wanted an increase. It feels like an absolute loss leader. Whilse if AEW sticks with WBD there is the option for them to have their own wrestling streaming service with ROH and AEW's library. They couldn't even bid for WWE Network for another 2 years or so.  

You're assuming they want the extra programming, you're assuming they care about having access to the AEW or ROH streaming library (why would they care about the latter, to be fair?). 

Fox ditched Smackdown because - although they were happy with the ratings - they didn't make as much advertising revenue as they would have liked. Perhaps WBD views WWE as an easier sell to advertisers - and, being the market leaders, a bigger money-spinner?

That said, the report reads like typical wrestling journalism - lots of 'I heard' and 'someone I texted', and seemingly no effort to get comment from WBD or WWE. These places have press offices, do wrestling journalists ever use them for that right of reply? If so, mention it in the bloody article, even if it's a standard 'we reached out to WWE and WBD for comment, but received no response"

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

You're assuming they want the extra programming, you're assuming they care about having access to the AEW or ROH streaming library (why would they care about the latter, to be fair?). 

Fox ditched Smackdown because - although they were happy with the ratings - they didn't make as much advertising revenue as they would have liked. Perhaps WBD views WWE as an easier sell to advertisers - and, being the market leaders, a bigger money-spinner?

That said, the report reads like typical wrestling journalism - lots of 'I heard' and 'someone I texted', and seemingly no effort to get comment from WBD or WWE. These places have press offices, do wrestling journalists ever use them for that right of reply? If so, mention it in the bloody article, even if it's a standard 'we reached out to WWE and WBD for comment, but received no response"

You think TV Networks want less content for their money? WBD asked for the extra shows. Wrestling is a pretty good deal. An average TV Show costs upwards of $1m an episode, more depending on content/actors etc. And that will cover between 10 and 25 episodes a year. You get 52 weeks of brand new content.

Fox cited ad revenue as being the deciding factor. But when the deal was announced, they were expected to get around 3m viewers on average. That was about 1m less than expected. It will be interesting to see what Ad revenue they get for their other content vs AEW and also how that comes down to what Fox were getting for Smackdown vs their other content. Maybe that is more key to the decision then ratings alone.

Just now, Hannibal Scorch said:

You think TV Networks want less content for their money? WBD asked for the extra shows. Wrestling is a pretty good deal. An average TV Show costs upwards of $1m an episode, more depending on content/actors etc. And that will cover between 10 and 25 episodes a year. You get 52 weeks of brand new content.

If they think they can make more money from Raw in spite of that, then yeah. They wouldn't have to fill the gaps left by Rampage and Collision with first run programming - they could shove on repeats or movies. 

Even if Dynamite remains on WBD, I'm not convinced that Rampage and Collision will both survive. I think the best thing that could happen to AEW and Tony Khan would be the enforced disappearance of some of their programming (and ROH). 

10 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

That Golden Jets segment will go down as one of the worst in Dynamite history. Everyone was absolutely awful, they knew it was awful, the fans knew it was awful. Rotten in every way possible. It made me actively not want to see their World's End match.

Completely agree. I did like Kenny's top though. I've made it a personal mission to acquire one for myself somehow.