13 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

People have complained the announcement could have just been said in a tweet, but putting it on TV means it gets the most awareness from its audience.

I think you might be misunderstanding why people have a problem with this. No one is complaining about this being made on TV - it’s how it was promoted. If he’d hyped it as an important announcement related to All In, no one would have been annoyed; or if he hadn’t promoted that ‘an important announcement’ was being made at all. If you do something that pisses off a sizeable portion of your audience, it probably wasn’t a good idea to do it in the way that you did. He’s also turned himself into the boy who cried wolf; next time he wants to hype an announcement won’t be anywhere near as effective.

But that should be the least of his concerns right now, given that he’s hired a man who is known to have exposed himself to multiple women. 

14 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I wasn’t looking at it as getting some exclusive energy drink partner, more getting one of the biggest names in wrestling on the roster without having to pony up any money for it. 

Does Flair have that cache with the modern audience though? 

Shit, I thought he was old as dirt when I first saw him as a kid and that was in 1992. 

His legacy from the 80s and early 90s speaks for itself but even if you get him for no money, what does he bring to wrestling in 2023? Is it just so Tony can say to oblivious Warner execs 'We have Sting and Ric Flair, two of the biggest names in wrestling ever on this network, on the show. Please give me more money for the programme?' 

I think to be completely honest we may be overthinking this.

Khan loves Sting, and Sting is going to retire in AEW.  I think Sting asked for Flair to be a part of it, and Khan said yes.  It strikes me as more of a personal favour than a business decision.

Just now, Loki said:

Khan loves Sting, and Sting is going to retire in AEW.  I think Sting asked for Flair to be a part of it, and Khan said yes.  It strikes me as more of a personal favour than a business decision.

Nah - Flair went to WWE, they basically ignored it, so he whored himself out to TK instead.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/ric-flair-says-he-reached-out-wwe-regarding-energy-drink-sponsorship-wwe-moved-past-it

58 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Does Flair have that cache with the modern audience though? 

Shit, I thought he was old as dirt when I first saw him as a kid and that was in 1992. 

His legacy from the 80s and early 90s speaks for itself but even if you get him for no money, what does he bring to wrestling in 2023? Is it just so Tony can say to oblivious Warner execs 'We have Sting and Ric Flair, two of the biggest names in wrestling ever on this network, on the show. Please give me more money for the programme?' 

If they aren’t paying his wages then what’s the harm? As you say, having one of the few household names on your roster might help with TV execs and as I say, one T-shirt sold is money for AEW. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

But that should be the least of his concerns right now, given that he’s hired a man who is known to have exposed himself to multiple women. 

I saw someone suggest that the announcement probably was Ric Flair being All Elite, but they backed off after the response to Flair has been so negative. That wouldn't surprise me. Khan clearly has large enough blinkers on that he sees Flair as a get, rather than something he needs to do damage control over. 

It's the kind of thing where it's not the last straw, but could be something that makes even the hardcore fans realise that there are more straws than they thought.

Edited by Chris B

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

I think you might be misunderstanding why people have a problem with this. No one is complaining about this being made on TV - it’s how it was promoted. If he’d hyped it as an important announcement related to All In, no one would have been annoyed; or if he hadn’t promoted that ‘an important announcement’ was being made at all. If you do something that pisses off a sizeable portion of your audience, it probably wasn’t a good idea to do it in the way that you did. He’s also turned himself into the boy who cried wolf; next time he wants to hype an announcement won’t be anywhere near as effective.

Wasn't really hyped though unless you spend the day looking at wrestling related social media.

Tweet mentioned fans worldwide. An aspect that was dropped by almost entirely by all the "wrestling media" in favour of once again speculating on a streaming deal on MAX or TNT/TBS renewal. Nothing that really changes things for fans internationally.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It's the kind of thing where it's not the last straw, but could be something that makes even the hardcore fans realise that there are more straws than they thought.

The last straw will be the product being shit, we all know that. He could sign every sex case in the world and fans will do a Richard Hammond disapproval tut for a bit and move on as long as the matches are good. 

1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I mean, he has half a billion views here. The old cunt was weirdly over with genuine megastar rappers.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but there is often a huge wrestling/rap crossover, the Griselda lot etc, and yeah Flair is often their favourite. I get it. Apart from being a crusty old bitch, his persona lends itself well to the braggadocious style of rap.

5 hours ago, Loki said:

To be fair, I think you're overthinking it too. I imagine it's more a case of Khan loves Flair and has wanted to bring him in for ages.