Jesus Fucking Christ

Frankie Crisp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8jl0ekjr0go

So if you go to Disney World, etc and have a Disney+ account you cannot claim damages from Disney due to your TV t&cs! Christ Disney are the pits of a company these days. 

Fellas wife dies of a severe allergic reaction at their park so decides to claim damages, not a huge amount by any stretch these days, but Disney say 'nah mate, you had TV off us a few years ago so those T&Cs count'. Seems ridiculous! 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8jl0ekjr0go

So if you go to Disney World, etc and have a Disney+ account you cannot claim damages from Disney due to your TV t&cs! Christ Disney are the pits of a company these days. 

Fellas wife dies of a severe allergic reaction at their park so decides to claim damages, not a huge amount by any stretch these days, but Disney say 'nah mate, you had TV off us a few years ago so those T&Cs count'. Seems ridiculous! 

Sounds like the kind of thing a good lawyer will get tossed in a beat but your average park customer has enough cash for the park or a good lawyer.

• Paid Members

Just a perfect storm of Disney being evil and the legal culture in the US, that any lawyer could even reasonably try and make that argument.

What I've seen elsewhere is that the restaurant in question rents space at the park, and isn't actually run by Disney, so the far simpler legal argument would just be that Disney aren't accountable for a third-party. Absolutely mental that this is the route they've taken, and even with Disney lawyers on the case, I can't imagine it will hold up at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 8/24/2024 at 7:31 PM, Tim Healys Chutney Spoon said:

Who the fuck bought them enough to make them a 'number 1 bestselling series' ?

Bestselling series in what though? Best selling series of all time? Of this year? Best selling series of books about anthropomorphic pastries? Without context it means nothing.

https://kenrockwell.com/business/weasel-words.htm

"

“Money’s tight, things are going up, we all have to go to work, we deserve a holiday - everybody deserves a holiday - why do they have to make it hard?”

“We’re being victimised…everyone has rights, I have rights and they’re my children and it’s my right to take them on holiday.""

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5ykz4nr11no

A holiday isn't a right you utter pricks!

Whilst you are correct that a holiday is not a right, all parents do have the right to withdraw their children from school despite what everyone makes you believe.

Holiday fines really confuse me. As someone who worked in schools alongside attendance and looked at putting a case together to fine parents of serial non-attenders it's a really difficult process from a schools point of view and attendance has to fall below a certain percentage for the local authority to even consider it. In fact, when I left we were told not even bother applying for anyone unless there attendance was under 50% due to backlogs (I left at the beginning of 2022).  I can only assume these kids have historically poor attendance or that rules vary wildly by local authority (though I am pretty sure thresholds etc are laid out by the government and not down to local authorities).

Travel agents won't change, they have no real need to, people are still booking and it will piss off people who travel outside of peak times - if they are childless they are arguably likely to be more frequent flyers.

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, deathrey said:

though I am pretty sure thresholds etc are laid out by the government and not down to local authorities)

Having just had a letter from my daughter's school about this topic it seems the threshold for when the school has to issue a fine / refer for further action is set out by the government and lower than it was before, but schools are free to operate as they wish below that threshold for any amount of absenteeism. 

Withdrawing from school is very different from taking lengthy absences though. The latter affects already stretched teachers' ability to teach effectively and negatively impacts the other students. It's absolutely selfish even if the kids in question themselves in some circumstances happen to be able to keep up with the curriculum despite the absence. 

I know you work in education so I'm not trying to preach.. just annoyed after reading that article tbh.

Edited by Chest Rockwell