Chris B

3 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

CM Punk is the kind of bloke who would claim the reversal system is broken just because he's not very good at it.

CM Punk is also the type of person to make you use the terrible 3rd-party controller.

Also, Punk picks Rock or Austin while you have to play as Rodney or The Kat.

Edited by Version1.0

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, JimmyAnderson said:

During the trios title match on Dynamite the commentary team did briefly mention The Elite, which I think is more than they've done previously since the whole incident with any of those involved. So maybe they're on their way back. 

Yeah, between showing CM Punk during the montage of ROH champions and then having Schiavone mention The Elite by name, something has definitely changed from when they edited the Countdown for that show to now. Watching the Countdown show, you'd genuinely not know who beat Hangman for the World Title or who he lost to in the Trios Title Tournament. In both instances, there was a clear intention to not show or name any of them. Hopefully this means everyone has grew the fuck up. Whole thing's a complete embarrassment and Punk's stock in particular has nose-dived massively, but the idea of this getting turned into an angle, resulting in an eventual CM Punk vs. Kenny Omega match? I'd love it.

Surely only a masochist wants Punk back in AEW now?  He’s cancer.

His reputation was already very poor in the industry before his return, and he managed nearly a year before revealing his true colours again. And considering his fragility he’s unlikely to manage many more matches.

They’d get better value out of Ryback.

• Paid Members

If they can sort all the problems out (a big ask, I know), then I’d love for Punk to return!

It’s easy to slag him off now considering what a complete bell-end he’s exposed/confirmed himself to be in real life, but there’s no denying that onscreen he was having a hell of a run. Probably the best of his entire career.

• Paid Members

What's the difference (other than the press conference) between Punk and say, Sasha Banks? Don't get me wrong, I think Punks a prick as much as the next guy, but Punk is being ostracized where others are being championed? 

This is a genuine question by the way and not one to pick a fight. There is no doubt that since returning, Punk has been great fun to watch and there is probably still mileage in the tank to put on some good stuff again. 

Both Sasha and Punk were both clearly pissed off at their treatment, at people backstage and potentially their creative path. Both took action (Walking out / spouting off at a presser), yet one is being hailed as sticking it to the man while the other is being called every name under the son and wishing they don't come back.

Is it a case of one of them did it to WWE while one of them did it to AEW? Or is there more to it than that. 

Again, can't stand Punk, never have, but it's an interesting discussion point. 

Edited by Nick James

My thoughts exactly. It was an unprofessional rant and a backstage fight, this happened all the time back in the day. He hardly shot anyone. They all need to cop on. The vilification is hilarious. He’s the devil.

Hopefully fines all round and he comes back as his feuds were great and there’s so much fresh material now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

What's the difference (other than the press conference) between Punk and say, Sasha Banks? Don't get me wrong, I think Punks a prick as much as the next guy, but Punk is being ostracized where others are being championed? 

This is a genuine question by the way and not one to pick a fight. There is no doubt that since returning, Punk has been great fun to watch and there is probably still mileage in the tank to put on some good stuff again. 

Both Sasha and Punk were both clearly pissed off at their treatment, at people backstage and potentially their creative path. Both took action (Walking out / spouting off at a presser), yet one is being hailed as sticking it to the man while the other is being called every name under the son and wishing they don't come back.

Is it a case of one of them did it to WWE while one of them did it to AEW? Or is there more to it than that. 

Again, can't stand Punk, never have, but it's an interesting discussion point. 

I think the biggest difference is in how quickly Punk's complaints were seemingly exposed to be mostly nonsense invented in his own head.

He had a big old moan about Hangman being disrespectful and not taking veteran advice, but then the video came out of what Hangman actually said and it was the chillest, most self-deprecating stuff imaginable.

He had a huge, muffin-fueled rant about Hangman going into business for himself, but when you watch the promo back it's some of the tamest stuff anyone could possibly say, with far too much ambiguity to justify Punk's red hot reaction. Imagine sitting at home for weeks, getting angrier and angrier as you rehabbed, over that.

Then he had a huge moan about the Young Bucks and Omega leaking stuff to Meltzer, which Dave confirmed wasn't the case.

Obviously, we don't work backstage and we probably don't even know half of what's gone on, so there's a huge amount of conjecture required, but still. That's where I think the main difference is, at least for me. I still couldn't tell you exactly what Sasha's problems were, nor if they were justified. With Punk however, he made them extremely clear, only for it to all seem like bollocks weeks later.

Plus, Sasha walking out on WWE didn't rob us of what was probably going to be a phenomenal run of TV matches. Look at the performances The Elite put in during that Trios Tournament. Watch that Final back. And now imagine them with those belts right now, performing weekly. Punk and Ace Steel took that from us with a single bite and a couple of punches. Unforgivable.

Would still buy the shit out of a Pay Per View headlined by Punk vs. Omega though. Especially if Punk played heel. He should keep that weird, angry voice he had at the press conference where he sounded like Zordon from Power Rangers. Work me!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I can't speak much for Sasha Banks as I wasn't watching WWE any of the times she went home. But if I can compare Punk in AEW to Punk in WWE, in WWE I always though his grievances were legitimate. Even when he was champion, he was positioned several rungs below John Cena feuding with the likes of Big Show or John Laurinitus. Yeah, he had a huge title run but when you're not main-eventing and not being presented as the top guy, does that really matter? A lot of the time it looked like he was working hurt (which was confirmed later) and he got dicked around by Triple H and Nash when he was the hottest guy on the roster. I could completely understand all his frustrations in WWE.

In AEW, he's had the red carpet rolled out for him, been treated like an absolute legend, gone over against some of their hottest young guys in MJF and Darby, been fast-tracked (by AEW standards) to a title run, then when he went out with an injury he came back to a second title run instantly. But none of that was good enough for him and he had to throw his toys out of his pram, and why? Because the man who prides himself on being Mr. Pipe Bomb shoot-promo couldn't handle one line from Hangman that 99% of the fucking audience didn't pick up on anyway!

Punk is probably my second favourite wrestler of all time but I've lost a ton of respect for him. I'd have him back in a heartbeat because he's that good but I don't think I'd ever be fully invested in his stuff again. 

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

Both very fair posts and definitely make a lot more sense when you look at it from that perspective. Obviously I was mainly using Sasha as she was the first person I could think of in a similar position, but the point about AEW rolling out the red carpet etc for Punk I think is the real key to it all. 

He's been given everything he wanted, creative freedom, main events, title runs, Colt Cabana gone and he's shown his arse at the first sign of trouble. 

Maybe it's because I've always though Punk is a hypocrite who fed into the held down narrative enough that people bought in, but is truly a prick at heart that none of it has really shocked me, so it just comes across as sour grapes. 

I would still gladly welcome him back rather than fire him, though. If anything, I'd prefer The Bucks to leave as I would think there's more fresh stories with Punk.