Holidays and such

mim731

• Paid Members

I couldn't find a more recent thread than the pre-covid one, so I'm starting a new thread for holidays! 

Anyone off anywhere nice?

We're off to the Isle of Wight in a week or so. Anyone got any recommendations of things to do? Have been before about 5 years ago, but going with the kids this time (aged 4 and 2), so any ideas that are family friendly and age appropriate would be much appreciated.

Currently working/saving up to visit the UK for the first time in almost 4 years. Not down to choice as i've been locked inside Vietnam since 2020, the only opened borders in March this year for foreigners u less you had loads of paperwork which was a ballache not to mention 2-3 weeks quarantine. My wife gave birth to our first (and probably last) child last November so we've been waiting on his British passport. Few visa things to tie up but if all stays the path I get to have the holiday I've most looked forward to in my life and it's sleeping in my childhood bedroom!

On 8/18/2022 at 9:02 AM, mim731 said:

I couldn't find a more recent thread than the pre-covid one, so I'm starting a new thread for holidays! 

Anyone off anywhere nice?

We're off to the Isle of Wight in a week or so. Anyone got any recommendations of things to do? Have been before about 5 years ago, but going with the kids this time (aged 4 and 2), so any ideas that are family friendly and age appropriate would be much appreciated.

Blackgang Chine has got to be done if you've got children and visiting IOW. 

Shanklin Chine is nice,  weather dependent. 

Ditto Ventnor Botanical Gardens

There's a great little park and playground called Puckpool Park near Seaview,  with an accessible walk to Ryde. 

The hovercraft to Portsmouth and HMS Victory is also good fun. 

• Paid Members

It's my turn to do the Christmas 'shift' for the other half so we're looking at costs for flights to Portugal. She's not had an Xmas with them for a couple of years because of the you-know-what. To be fair they're all absolutely sound and feed me like an absolute King every time I go - I'll almost certainly put weight on and I won't feel the slightest bit guilty - winter is for keeping warm and cosy with food and fire in your belly. 

Earlier this year we went to Dorset and I can't reccomend it enough if you've never been - absolutely stunning locations all around and we fell in love with the place, so will be going again next year. We stayed at a cheap Air BNB in Poole and went to Durdle Door (Note - very hilly, not for the squeamish if you've got dodgy ankles), Weymouth, Lyme Regis and Swanage among others for little day trips. All fantastic visits in their own right.

On the last day we got the ferry from Poole to Swanage and then took the steam train up to and past Corfe Castle - there's a pub there called The Greyhound Inn which rustled up the finest fish and chips I think I'll ever eat in my life. 

Probably one for the car if you have one so it's easier for you to get out to all the different spots but most of those locatinos are still doable by train - you can get from London to Poole for instance and then a combination of other trains and ferry tours to some of those different spots. 

We've also got a one-night glamping break from a voucher we won recently, but the locations are quite limited so we're looking at something else we can do around it (apart from hours of passionate, wild love-making in the woods...or, probably just falling asleep doing our crosswords at 9:00pm. I'm not sure which I find more exciting).

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, theironshake said:

Me and the Mrs just booked Salou next April/May we got 10 nights half board for £520 for the two of us. So pretty happy with that

Depending on what else you've got planned, you're only an hour or so on the coach from Barcelona if you fancied a little day trip. Haven't been since I was about 10 - we went on a family holiday with TUI (or Thompson or whatever it was called then) and we went to the Nou Camp for the day as a part of the add ons. Brilliant. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

We’ll be going to Barcelona next April for Springsteen, haven’t booked anything yet so any tips will be appreciated!

Parc Guell is well worth a visit. Beautiful Gaudi architecture with one of the best views of the city.