Which AEW signings were mistakes?

RedRooster

• Paid Members

Cole and Redragon are the main ones for me. I don't think they offer anything unique and are all often quite bad or dull. ReDragon would be fine as a lower level tag team, Cole is just awful.

There's plenty of rubbish stuff in AEW but these three dickheads are the only ones that are featured so prominently. 

Edited by LaGoosh

11 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Cole and Redragon are the main ones for me. I don't think they offer anything unique and are all often quite bad or dull. ReDragon would be fine as a lower level tag team, Cole is just awful.

There's plenty of rubbish stuff in AEW but these three dickheads are the only ones that are featured so prominently. 

Signing Adam Cole was an act of vandalism. It’s the only right answer here.

Every other mis-step is broadly fine because Tony’s got deep pockets and they can just be used to fill the card without causing any damage.

The minute you sign Adam Cole (and Tony might not have had much choice because of his friendships with the EVP Club) you’re getting someone who you have to push as a big star. He’s coming in with a bit of profile, a bit of reputation but crucially - as mentioned before - he’s bezzie mates with the lads.

He’s held Adam Page’s title reign under water for months because he oozes whatever the opposite of star power is. ‘Black-hole weakness’, maybe?

He looks and acts like a local leisure center, flip-twat.

If they’d have been able to just keep him on the undercard tossing about with comedy acts, fine… but they’d have known what they were getting and did it anyway.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Tony has a proper hard on for Cole, he's gone as far as saying he's someone to build a company around so it wasn't a case of the EVPs pushing him in the door.

He'll be world champion soon, fuck..

Christ. Like building a burns unit on a bonfire.

I don’t get how anyone looks at Adam Cole and sees anything but a dangerous trap that needs to be carefully worked around.

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

In the words of The Brain, “Now you’ve lied to the people.” WWE did a huge spring clean every year for ages, well before 2021.

Here’s a thread about it from 2011 where we were already talking about the “annual” cuts, and the volumes got bigger year on year especially when NXT became a third roster and they started hiring even more potential wrestlers to fill spots.

Sure - perhaps I worded that badly. What I mean is, it was before they started releasing key people; people who you’d never have expected would be affected by any roster clear out. This change in approach has, to an extent, killed the idea of a lifer. Recent releases have, clearly, been very different to the old style ‘annual spring clean’ - they’ve been about tightening up the roster to a degree we’ve not really seen before.

Big Show was, by my estimation, someone you never expected to leave the company, and at this stage, before the ‘Nick Khan approach’ fully took effect, his departure was genuinely shocking. Perhaps, a few months down the line, it wouldn’t have been so surprising.

Big Show left to take up boxing and had that Memphis match with Hogan in the mid-00s. He was smart enough to steer clear of TNA. Although if he had left a little later I could have seen Hogan & Bischoff tempt him to their vision of TNA.

There were also moments during his time under contract he would be off TV for ages. Most of his tenure felt like a marriage of convenience. So I wasn't that surprised in seeing him leave again.

Mark Henry - while his time for the main event line entertains me I can't think of anything else he does of note and feels very underused for the probable wage being paid.

Big Swole - worst worker male or female I think anywhere right now 

Jimmy Havoc - didn't like him years ago when on shows with him, and he's a zit on the ass of the wrestling business and deserves a good kicking I think

Ruby Soho - just can't seem to get behind her 

Does chavo Guerrero count after his 1 or 2 week stint? 

Colt Cabana- just seems to stand in the background and does very little 

To be fair though, their roster is huge and they just pick up anyone, so there is so many wasted due to that.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Signing Adam Cole was an act of vandalism. It’s the only right answer here.

Every other mis-step is broadly fine because Tony’s got deep pockets and they can just be used to fill the card without causing any damage.

The minute you sign Adam Cole (and Tony might not have had much choice because of his friendships with the EVP Club) you’re getting someone who you have to push as a big star. He’s coming in with a bit of profile, a bit of reputation but crucially - as mentioned before - he’s bezzie mates with the lads.

He’s held Adam Page’s title reign under water for months because he oozes whatever the opposite of star power is. ‘Black-hole weakness’, maybe?

He looks and acts like a local leisure center, flip-twat.

If they’d have been able to just keep him on the undercard tossing about with comedy acts, fine… but they’d have known what they were getting and did it anyway.

This take is completely overcooked.

I know Cole isn't popular on here, but he was hugely popular in NXT and is well over to a big proportion of AEWs audience. He's a decent to very good worker (as long as someone reins in his finisher spam). His first match with Page was really fun, and his college fratboy schitck works with lots of people and has worked for years. It doesn't translate well over here, but he's clearly a high level guy in AEW, and it'll be great when Kenny comes back and knees him in the face.

13 minutes ago, Duke said:

This take is completely overcooked.

I know Cole isn't popular on here, but he was hugely popular in NXT and is well over to a big proportion of AEWs audience. He's a decent to very good worker (as long as someone reins in his finisher spam). His first match with Page was really fun, and his college fratboy schitck works with lots of people and has worked for years. It doesn't translate well over here, but he's clearly a high level guy in AEW, and it'll be great when Kenny comes back and knees him in the face.

Hey, I can only speak for myself and I turn the TV off when he’s on.

Page is a credible choice as champion, he needs big challengers and triumphant victories to cement himself as a top, top player. He’s not had that chance.

For me, Cole has done so much damage to Adam Page.

I like Cole’s entrance as much as the next guy, but he doesn’t belong at the top of a proper wrestling company.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Page is a credible choice as champion, he needs big challengers and triumphant victories to cement himself as a top, top player. He’s not had that chance.

He beat Bryan Danielson by outwrestling him and beat Archer in a Texas death match (something Moxley couldn't do). After finishing Cole off, he's probably going into a match with Punk.

I'm enjoying Pages run, but if there's a problem with it it's that he hasn't figured out how to make his character work when he's not the underdog. He'll get there.

Edited by Duke

I don't care for Adam Cole but I'd find it a bit harsh to place him here. Probably because I get the impression he's not winning the Big One anytime soon, if at all. He's a solid hand, a cracking entrance and massively over, for whatever reason. He's like wrestling's U2. Very popular, yet I've never met a cunt that admits to liking them.

Vickie Guerrero is up there. She's lying, cheating and stealing a living. God bless her. The act is beyond stale. I really like Nyla too, and Vickie is a complete detriment to her career. 

I'm sick of the sight of Jay Lethal. An actual cosplay wrestler and all round creep. Transparent case of jobs for the boys.

Danhausen. Get Fuckedhausen.

Finally, The Hardy Boyz. They're popular too of course, but they're literally broken. It's painful to watch them hobble and wince about and they feel like a disaster waiting to happen. Cut ties before it's too late.

@RedRooster I'm usually with you on most things, but this 2.0 slander is disgusting. Why do you hate them so much? 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Definitely Cole. I can't stand the sight of the bastard, he has x-pac in 2001 level go away heat from me. Annoying berk who does the same thing every week and looks shite whilst doing so. 

I stopped watching nxt when he became featured so prominently, but at least you were sure he'd never make the main shows (in any serious way) as long as Vince was still breathing!