Wrestling Pub Quiz

air_raid

• Paid Members

Might die on its arse but let’s have a laugh. I’ve made some random bits and pieces floating around my brain into 15 questions of varying difficulty. Real “you know it or you don’t” stuff.

In the spirit of the pub quiz, have a go, see how many you know without Google.

The round is “vintage WWF….” Because of course it is.

Which WWF Tag Team Champions won the belts only twice but managed to lose them four times?

True or false : Randy Savage won six World titles between 1988 and 1999 in the WWF and WCW and lost them all to either Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair?

Before the Rude Awakening, what submission hold did Ravishing Rick win his squash matches with?

Who put the only recorded pinfall loss on Andre the Giant at MSG in (W)WWF history?

Against which Intercontinental champ did Hulk Hogan actually have a shot on a house show between WWF title reigns?

Who was the only man to make two King of the Ring finals back to back in consecutive years - winning one then losing the year after?

Before settling on The Blue Blazer what other name did Owen trial for his masked alter ego?

Who managed Demolition before Mr Fuji?

Which wrestler briefly quit the WWF because he didn’t want to do an angle kidnapping Matilda, the British Bulldogs’ mascot?

Who does Bret Hart credit with teaching him the Sharpshooter when he was choosing his new finish for the singles push?

On that note, when Ron Garvin made his WWF debut and started using the Scorpion Deathlock, which undercard heel was then forced to change his finish?

Bob Backlund actually made a couple of WWF title defences on house shows between winning the belt from Bret and losing it to Diesel, losing by count-out against…. who?

Two on screen talents participated in both WrestleMania XI and the first Nitro later that year. Lex Luger and… who?

Who was the only wrestler to wrestle at both the first WrestleMania and WrestleMania 13?

Who is the only WWF/E wrestler to have main evented a WrestleMania before the Attitude Era, during the Attitude Era AND since the Attitude Era? By which I mean, went on last, for the belt?

Go!

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, The Dart said:

We’ll need the answers to know how well we did !

You can have them once we’ve had some submissions, pun intended.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Thesz said:

Is the Bret Hart sharpshooter answer Marc Rocco and the first question the Hart Foundation.

I think Slick was Demolitions first manager.

is that your lot? Spoiler : you’re scoring between 0 and 3 out of 15, and it’s less than 3.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

I'm a New Generation kid so most of these are before my time, but fuck it let's go!

1. Hart Foundation

2. True

3. Nipple Cripple

4. Warrior

5. Mr Perfect

6. Angle

7. Grandmaster Bluey

8. Jimmy Hart

9. Repo Man

10. Helen Hart (Methuselah taught it to her for the bonus point)

11. Valentine

12. Bulldog

13. Mongo!

14. Bulldog

15. Taker

• Paid Members

Hopefully I get three

Which WWF Tag Team Champions won the belts only twice but managed to lose them four times?

The Hart Foundation

True or false : Randy Savage won six World titles between 1988 and 1999 in the WWF and WCW and lost them all to either Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair?

True

Before the Rude Awakening, what submission hold did Ravishing Rick win his squash matches with?

The Cock Lock

Who put the only recorded pinfall loss on Andre the Giant at MSG in (W)WWF history?

Bruno Sammartino

Against which Intercontinental champ did Hulk Hogan actually have a shot on a house show between WWF title reigns?

Rick Rude

Who was the only man to make two King of the Ring finals back to back in consecutive years - winning one then losing the year after?

Kurt Angle

Before settling on The Blue Blazer what other name did Owen trial for his masked alter ego?

Captain Canada

Freddie Blassie

Which wrestler briefly quit the WWF because he didn’t want to do an angle kidnapping Matilda, the British Bulldogs’ mascot?

Rick Martel

Who does Bret Hart credit with teaching him the Sharpshooter when he was choosing his new finish for the singles push?

I dunno, Makhan Singh

On that note, when Ron Garvin made his WWF debut and started using the Scorpion Deathlock, which undercard heel was then forced to change his finish?

The Hammer

Bob Backlund actually made a couple of WWF title defences on house shows between winning the belt from Bret and losing it to Diesel, losing by count-out against…. who?

Razor

Two on screen talents participated in both WrestleMania XI and the first Nitro later that year. Lex Luger and… who?

Mongo McMichael

Who was the only wrestler to wrestle at both the first WrestleMania and WrestleMania 13?

Barry Windham

Who is the only WWF/E wrestler to have main evented a WrestleMania before the Attitude Era, during the Attitude Era AND since the Attitude Era? By which I mean, went on last, for the belt?

Shawn Michaels

Edited by WeeAl

3 hours ago, air_raid said:

Might die on its arse but let’s have a laugh. I’ve made some random bits and pieces floating around my brain into 15 questions of varying difficulty. Real “you know it or you don’t” stuff.

In the spirit of the pub quiz, have a go, see how many you know without Google.

The round is “vintage WWF….” Because of course it is.

Which WWF Tag Team Champions won the belts only twice but managed to lose them four times?

US EXPRESS 

True

Before the Rude Awakening, what submission hold did Ravishing Rick win his squash matches with?

Full Nelson

Who put the only recorded pinfall loss on Andre the Giant at MSG in (W)WWF history?

Macho Man

Against which Intercontinental champ did Hulk Hogan actually have a shot on a house show between WWF title reigns?

Roddy Piper 

Who was the only man to make two King of the Ring finals back to back in consecutive years - winning one then losing the year after?

No idea, erm  Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Beat Haku, lost Macho Man

Pegusus kid, no idea

Johnny Valiant

Jim The Anvil Niedhart

Who does Bret Hart credit with teaching him the Sharpshooter when he was choosing his new finish for the singles push?

Hector Garza/Conquistador one.. 

Koko B Ware

Bob Backlund actually made a couple of WWF title defences on house shows between winning the belt from Bret and losing it to Diesel, losing by count-out against…. who?

Mr Perfect 

Two on screen talents participated in both WrestleMania XI and the first Nitro later that year. Lex Luger and… who?

Steve Mc Michael/Mongo

Barry Windham

Who is the only WWF/E wrestler to have main evented a WrestleMania before the Attitude Era, during the Attitude Era AND since the Attitude Era? By which I mean, went on last, for the belt?

Undertaker?? 

Go!

• Paid Members

Thanks for replies, some good knowledge there and I’ve got to void one question as I’m an idiot….

(1) Yes, as a few of you knew, The Hart Foundation managed to lose the tag belts four times. The two that made air and are recognised, the famous defeat by the Rockers that didn’t, and a house show in August 87 in Montreal where they lost the belts to the Rougeaus only for the benefit of locals, only recognised (and reversed) on syndicated TV in the local area.

(2) Yes, it’s true. Thought I should throw an easy one out there.

(3) Rick Rude’s original finish was the Canadian/over the shoulder backbreaker, the old favourite of muscle mountains like Billy Graham and heel Hogan. Although obviously Nipple Cripple would have been better, @CleetusVanDamme

(4) Ultimate Warrior is the only guy that the WWF ever had pin Andre at MSG. It was late 89, it only lasted seconds, and you’ve probably seen it if you’ve bought one of his DVDs.

(5) The Hulkster actually had a crack at The Honky Tonk Man on 18th Feb 1988 at the Meadowlands, of course, there was no finish. It’s Honky.

(6) Well, I fucked up. As you’ve pointed out, Kurt did indeed win in 2000 then lose the final in 2001. This was a blind spot for me completely as I phrased the question around Randy Savage winning in 1987 then losing the final by count-out to Ted DiBiase in 1988. So…. Whoops.

(7) Before settling on The Blue Blazer, Owen also worked matches as The Blue Angel.

(8) Well played those of you that remembered Johnny Valiant managed Demolition before selling their contract to Mr Fuji.

(9) Greg Valentine quit the WWF rather than do an angle kidnapping Matilda while Valiants New Dream Team were feuding with the Bulldogs, although he wasn’t gone long. In reality he was also sick of teaming with Bravo.

(10) Bret actually says it was Konnan who taught him the Sharpshooter during one of his cups of coffee trying out for the WWF.

(11) The Red Rooster had been using the Scorpion Deathlock before Rugged Ronnie turned up and the office allowed him to start using it, so Terry switched to his crap “chicken wing” lifting back to back hammerlock shite. Koko as a heel @patiirc? You’ve dreamt that one.

(12) Yes, @CleetusVanDamme has it, it’s our dear Smithers that Backlund wrestled as WWF Champion. Bulldog was also Undertakers lone challenger back in 1991, the filling in his Hogan sandwich, if you like.

(13) Yeah, you all spotted Steve McMichael was both in LT’s “All Pro Team” at Mania then went on to lead the commentary team for the first Nitro - and many more.

(14) Good work! Barry Windham did indeed wrestle under his real name at Mania “1” and as a Blackjack at Mania 13. Hogan of course later eclipsed this by wrestling at 18 and 19.

(15) Of course, the only guy to achieve this Mania feat was THE headliner (the showstopper, the main event, the icon) Shawn Michaels.

I’ve totted up the scores and looks like @SpykeDudlei1wins the round! Because I’m generous and spotted he missed a question and that his correct answers marked 11-14 actually were in answer to 12-15. Otherwise not so much.

Maybe it wasn’t the great idea I thought it was.

Edited by air_raid

I thought it was a good idea and not just because I won. Thanks for doing it.

As you spotted, I totally missed out a question although I’m being truthful when I say I would’ve answered Rooster/Taylor anyway as I was aware of that.

That was a mix of trying to do it without my reading glasses on, at 1am and on my small phone screen whilst bouncing backwards and forwards from the text box to the questions.

I’d be up for a few more of those.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, air_raid said:

(14) Good work! Barry Windham did indeed wrestle under his real name at Mania “1” and as a Blackjack at Mania 13. Hogan of course later eclipsed this by wrestling at 18 and 19.

Maybe it wasn’t the great idea I thought it was.

And then Roddy Piper and Ricky Steamboat both eclipsed Hulk by wrestling at 1 and 25!

(It is definitely a great idea, I only knew a couple of answers but enjoyed it very much nonetheless.)