Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I wish them well but the promotion sounds like a mid season Red Dwarf Dave episode. Always thought super strict pure ROH style 'the rules' was a bit too workrate handjob wrestling. I know people like that stuff so it's fine. I'm out of the loop though, is there a market for this and what's its ceiling? I legit don't know if anyone can broaden me. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chili said:

I wish them well but the promotion sounds like a mid season Red Dwarf Dave episode. Always thought super strict pure ROH style 'the rules' was a bit too workrate handjob wrestling. I know people like that stuff so it's fine. I'm out of the loop though, is there a market for this and what's its ceiling? I legit don't know if anyone can broaden me. 

To be honest I really enjoyed the pure rules match between Sabin and Gresham on Impact's show on Saturday, having hardly watched ROH at all.

But that was one novelty match on a PPV featuring a variety of different bout types, including Ultimate X and hardcore.

I assume I'd get bored quite quickly if it was the norm.

Edited by garynysmon
  • Paid Members
Posted

As Pat said, if there are heels there who will use the rules to their advantage, rather than everybody just slavishly obeying them it'll make for some interesting changes here and there. I can't imagine the Impact Digital Media Championship would be defended under those rules, so that may be a pallet cleanser partway through the show. 

Posted (edited)

Talking of promotions with distinct rules, has anyone followed GLEAT? It's the former NOAH owners new company taking a UWFi shoot style, heard it's pretty solid stuff.

I think all Stronghearts lads have made it their new home, too.

Edited by Merzbow
Posted
3 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Talking of promotions with distinct rules, has anyone followed GLEAT? It's the former NOAH owners new company taking a UWFi shoot style, heard it's pretty solid stuff.

I think all Stronghearts lads have made it their new home, too.

Just started following them on YT. Not had chance to watch any shows yet. 

So am I correct in assuming that OWE (that was Stronghearts home promotion for a time right?) is dead? 

Last I looked them up it was stuff about cancelled shows. Looks like it collapsed pretty fast. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

CIMA was in the Rambo at Wrestle Kingdom, and was accompanied to the wrong by the Strong Heart lads for the King Of Pro Wrestling 4 way the day after. 

Apparently Kaz Hayashi is on the roster. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Chili said:

I wish them well but the promotion sounds like a mid season Red Dwarf Dave episode. Always thought super strict pure ROH style 'the rules' was a bit too workrate handjob wrestling. I know people like that stuff so it's fine. I'm out of the loop though, is there a market for this and what's its ceiling? I legit don't know if anyone can broaden me. 

Maybe this is that “evolution” IronSheik was after.

Posted

I like that I've got a choice of which free technical foul I want to commit. I'm gonna knock out the referee and do all the other technical fouls until he wakes up.

  • Paid Members
Posted
49 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I like that I've got a choice of which free technical foul I want to commit. I'm gonna knock out the referee and do all the other technical fouls until he wakes up.

Yeah, I would definitely clobber the ref at opening bell. Obliterate him with my finish knowing he can’t disqualify me for it. That’s the best chance to do a piledriver on the steps, cracking my opponents skull and separating both shoulders, or as The Brain used to refer to it, “good amateur move.”

Then maybe stand on the top rope for my own amusement until the ref comes around. Fuck your ten seconds.

Posted

I'm a massive technical mark but taking a set of rules, tweaking them and claiming you have invented a new set of wrestling rules....nah I'm not buying it.

In my experience, World of Sport style matches work well as a gimmick on a show but not a whole show of them.

I also find Gresham an odd figure in wrestling, he seems to have this chip on his shoulder about the 'pure style', he basically has installed himself as the gatekeeper of a style that has origins in another country where there is workers have been wrestling in that style for over 50 years (and are still active). His GF is also just a nightmare, the whole thing a couple of weeks ago with Anthony Ogogo was embarrassing and really exposed just how in love with herself she is. I'm predicting she will have a match, do a fancy wrist lock reversal and the virgins fans will be marking out at her technical ability.

 

Just typing that paragraph out has made me hate them even more?

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Talking of promotions with distinct rules, has anyone followed GLEAT? It's the former NOAH owners new company taking a UWFi shoot style, heard it's pretty solid stuff.

I think all Stronghearts lads have made it their new home, too.

I've only watched a couple of GLEAT shows, but been impressed - really good production values, and on-screen graphics with wrestlers' names and photos on them, so it's much easier to get a handle on who's who quicker than you normally would when watching an unfamiliar promotion (especially one presented in another language). In-ring stuff has been great, and really oddball mix of talent involved. The shows I've seen (and I think this is true of all of them) aren't wholly UWF style - one half of the card will be more standard wrestling rules, the other half shoot style, so there's still spots for the Stronghearts guys and other guests that don't fit into the shoot style bracket quite as well.

14 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Didn't a bunch of people get ripped off with OWE? I remember hearing something along those lines and they were never seen in AEW again either.

I'm not sure if OWE as a whole ripped people off, but whatever the proposed OWE UK tour was collapsed and the blame was largely placed at the feet of the UK promoters' end, from what I remember. Though given that it fell apart around the same time as they stopped working with AEW, you could very easily put two and two together and figure that they fucked things up across the board.

They haven't run a show since last March, and haven't run a show outside of Japan since 2019. But given that they were based in China, it's possible that Covid measures could be to blame for some of that.

1 hour ago, theringmaster said:

I'm a massive technical mark but taking a set of rules, tweaking them and claiming you have invented a new set of wrestling rules....nah I'm not buying it.

In my experience, World of Sport style matches work well as a gimmick on a show but not a whole show of them.

I also find Gresham an odd figure in wrestling, he seems to have this chip on his shoulder about the 'pure style', he basically has installed himself as the gatekeeper of a style that has origins in another country where there is workers have been wrestling in that style for over 50 years (and are still active).

"Pure Style", and the Terminus rules aren't Mountevans rules, though? Pretty much the only thing they have in common is the two public warnings. 

Posted

The OWE UK tour was supposed to be in September 2019, I had tickets, was a good lineup, but the UK promoters cocked it up. The Strongheart lads appeared in AEW up until the February so I doubt this had anything to do with their leaving, more the pandemic.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

I'm a massive technical mark but taking a set of rules, tweaking them and claiming you have invented a new set of wrestling rules....nah I'm not buying it.

In my experience, World of Sport style matches work well as a gimmick on a show but not a whole show of them.

I also find Gresham an odd figure in wrestling, he seems to have this chip on his shoulder about the 'pure style', he basically has installed himself as the gatekeeper of a style that has origins in another country where there is workers have been wrestling in that style for over 50 years (and are still active). His GF is also just a nightmare, the whole thing a couple of weeks ago with Anthony Ogogo was embarrassing and really exposed just how in love with herself she is. I'm predicting she will have a match, do a fancy wrist lock reversal and the virgins fans will be marking out at her technical ability.

 

Just typing that paragraph out has made me hate them even more?

You mean Jordynne Grace? She's fine. A good power wrestler in the Knockouts division. She doesn't do aything particularly fancy or technical, at least not on Impact. Her Steiner parody alongside Petey Williams in the mixed tag tournament last year was a lot of fun.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

I've watched the show back today. Lee Moriarty has a good showing in the opener, which has a real World Of Sport feel to it.

Daniel Garcia goes over strong in his match. The production values are weak, probably because they're don't have a lot of money, but if you like technical wrestling there's plenty to enjoy. Danielson would go down a storm here, likewise Joe if he felt like he could go. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...