AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I know cost of living crisis, run up to Christmas and all that, but yikes that’s an empty building. I do think they need to move away from running Chicago every 6 weeks, but I think it’s safe to say that Bridgeport, Connecticut is not a strong market for them

Smackdown this Friday is also in Connecticut and not far from Bridgeport. If you're going to one wrestling show that week near your house most people are likely picking Smackdown over Dynamite these days.

Attendance has been generally down though. Likely combination of a flat product and going to the same towns over and over.

Edited by LaGoosh

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I do think they need to move away from running Chicago every 6 weeks, but I think it’s safe to say that Bridgeport, Connecticut is not a strong market for them

Which they are. First 3 months of 2023 are almost all new towns. Wondering where they will do Revolution since it was rumoured that would be in San Francisco and they've just announced two nights at the Cow Palace for Dynamite & Rampage tapings.

It’s not just the long term stories that are lacking, it’s the 3/4 week ones where you’d get a wild best friends/ butcher & blade main event on tv that are a draw to get you to go see how it finishes off. Those where the glory days, not 25 min opening tag matches no one wants to see but Jericho must get a block of tv 

• Paid Members

Whilst I’ve mostly enjoyed AEW’s output since All Out, and appreciate the very obvious shift of focus back on to the homegrown talent, I think I’ve pinpointed why this pay per view feels so cold. They’ve seemingly stumbled into repeating WWE’s worst trope, which is to just have everyone bickering and constantly teasing ANIMOSITY amongst factions and tag teams.

For the longest time, everyone getting along and having mates is what set AEW apart from WWE, but there’s obviously a temptation when you run out of ideas in promoting pro-wrestling to just have everyone argue and tease turning on each other, convincing yourself that counts as, “drama.”

MJF isn’t getting along with Stokely and The Firm. There’s in-fighting in the Blackpool Combat Club between Wheeler Yuta and Bryan Danielson. Chris Jericho and Daniel Garcia were feuding before that storyline half fizzled out. Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland don’t like each other. Britt Baker and Jamie Hayter secretly dislike each other. Death Triangle are arguing over hammers. War Joe just split up.

One or two bits of animosity is great to watch and follow, but a whole fucking show of it is exhausting. It’s the primary reason why WWE eventually became unwatchable for me. Misery television.

It’s why Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal vs. Darby and Sting is probably my most anticipated match, whereas that Four Way for the ROH Title can get directly in the bin. I don’t want to see any more teams teasing animosity or not getting along. I want to see some united fronts, some clear cut goodies and baddies, ideally where the good guy no-sells a guitar to the head. Watch that spot get the biggest reaction on this show for that very reason.

Edited by Supremo

I've stopped watching as much for a few reasons. One, I'm just not feeling up to it, but others include Hanger getting hurt (can't be helped), MJF turning face which if it does just fucks everything because who is a bigger evil villain and the crowd are going to eventually spike it, the frenetic pace yet glacial movements of stories that don't need that level of drawn tension. All the ROH stuff because it is too many titles floating around. Just even having the World/Pure/Tag would be fine to an extent and keep them to Rampage or something. Also there are just too many random acts going about. How many members are in The Factory and The Trustbusters? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Whilst I’ve mostly enjoyed AEW’s output since All Out, and appreciate the very obvious shift of focus back on to the homegrown talent, I think I’ve pinpointed why this pay per view feels so cold. They’ve seemingly stumbled into repeating WWE’s worst trope, which is to just have everyone bickering and constantly teasing ANIMOSITY amongst factions and tag teams.

For the longest time, everyone getting along and having mates is what set AEW apart from WWE, but there’s obviously a temptation when you run out of ideas in promoting pro-wrestling to just have everyone argue and tease turning on each other, convincing yourself that counts as, “drama.”

MJF isn’t getting along with Stokely and The Firm. There’s in-fighting in the Blackpool Combat Club between Wheeler Yuta and Bryan Danielson. Chris Jericho and Daniel Garcia were feuding before that storyline half fizzled out. Keith Lee and Swerve Strickland don’t like each other. Britt Baker and Jamie Hayter secretly dislike each other. Death Triangle are arguing over hammers. War Joe just split up.

One or two bits of animosity is great to watch and follow, but a whole fucking show of it is exhausting. It’s the primary reason why WWE eventually became unwatchable for me. Misery television.

It’s why Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal vs. Darby and Sting is probably my most anticipated match, whereas that Four Way for the ROH Title can get directly in the bin. I don’t want to see any more teams teasing animosity or not getting along. I want to see some united fronts, some clear cut goodies and baddies, ideally where the good guy no-sells a guitar to the head. Watch that spot get the biggest reaction on this show for that very reason.

Completely agree with this. AEW used to have so many fun, happy moments. HOOK picking up the chips, Hangman as the marshmellow man, Kingston stealing sneakers, The Elite as Space Jam, Sue! Cathartic stuff like that was what set AEW apart. It's all a bit miserable and serious these days...

...except for The Acclaimed ofcourse. There's a reason they are by far the most over thing on every show by a mile. They're the only ones enjoying themselves!

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Completely agree with this. AEW used to have so many fun, happy moments. HOOK picking up the chips, Hangman as the marshmellow man, Kingston stealing sneakers, The Elite as Space Jam, Sue! Cathartic stuff like that was what set AEW apart. It's all a bit miserable and serious these days...

...except for The Acclaimed ofcourse. There's a reason they are by far the most over thing on every show by a mile. They're the only ones enjoying themselves!

Well, them and the announce team.

• Paid Members

I'm convinced the very reason Taz, Schiavone and Excalibur are constantly dicking about and trying to make each other laugh is to keep their spirits up calling such a miserable, snarky show. Other than Orange Cassidy winning the title, Nyla Rose being a brilliant Twitter troll and Jake Hager's hat, the laughs and good times have been few and far between. Segment after segment of tension and grumpiness. Cheer up, everyone. Phil's gone.

On the plus side, them moving the entire tournament to work around Ricky Starks' injury suggests there's a good chance of him winning and moving to the top of the card. About fucking time. MJF winning the title by cheating and then Starks cutting those crazy, passionate promos about working your way to the top? Hell yeah.

Edited by Supremo

Obviously I'm excited to see AEW in London and I better fucking get a ticket, but I do wish we'd got it a bit earlier during the peak THIS IS THE FUCKING BEST THING EVER period. 

I've been to enough Ring of Honor shows in my lifetime. I don't need another one.

I want AEW. The best AEW damnit.

They've got a while to heat shit up again..

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m not saying bringing back Marko Stunt is the answer, I’m just saying it’s never been the same since he left. Hopefully he helps out Jungle Jack tomorrow night.

In fairness, while I don't love Stunt, him getting rag dolled by Luchasuarus would be quite the visual. 

Stunt, janella, Stu. None on the level of complete wrestler as guys at the top end brought in, but in terms of enjoyment I enjoyed them more than undisputed era, Tony neese, Samoa Joe and the ROH nobody’s. 

MAKE AEW FUN AGAIN