AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Shawn and Bret throughout 97 had some real heat to it, but I'm actually not sure how much of the audience was aware of the real-life shit at the time.

I wouldn't say Shawn/Bret in 97 brought out the best in pro wrestling. Austin/Hart in 97 brought out the best in wrestling for sure and they were good mates behind the scenes and the whole feud was fictional. Fiction is always better than shoots.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I'm probably alone, but I fucking love The Wingmen. I'm a huge fan of a jobber stable that know exactly where they stand. And this week when that big lad yelled at JD Drake "if you wanna hit me, hit me. Do ya wanna hit me?"

Drake nodding and saying "yeah, I do" before being flattened.  Yep. All in on that.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I wouldn't say Shawn/Bret in 97 brought out the best in pro wrestling. Austin/Hart in 97 brought out the best in wrestling for sure and they were good mates behind the scenes and the whole feud was fictional. Fiction is always better than shoots.

Absolutely. Wrestling simply shouldn't need to be real in any sense. If the performers are good enough then you'll believe it. It also gives you the ability to tell better stories. Bret and Shawn's heat created a lot of intrigue but it also robbed us of some great matches between two of the all time best. I mean, all that build up and we never actually got a proper pay off?

The real life issues in AEW don't make me want to see anyone wrestle. They just make me sad that the positive atmosphere backstage appears to have become toxic all of a sudden. I don't think it's a coincidence that's it's all happening at the same time as they've hit a wall creatively too.

• Paid Members

Call me crazy but does anyone else have a feeling that we’re going to have an amazing Dynamite this week?

It’s rumoured that none of the people involved in the fight are going to be there: So no Punk, Kenny or the Bucks. That sounds like a negative, and it is really, but it’s also opens up a bunch of spots and air time for people who have something to prove. There’s a LOT of them on the roster.

AEW always manages to step up and/or pivot when things look shit. This might be the most important time but I honestly think they’ll manage it.

• Paid Members

Really in the mood for a big, feel-good episode of Dynamite after all this shit the last few days.

Bring in Trent’s mum for a spot with Pac. Do the TV dream match of Bryan Danielson vs. Dax Harwood. Reunite Hookhausen. Have The Acclaimed somehow leave with the Tag Titles. New York tonight, isn’t it? Imagine the pop!

Edited by Supremo

37 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

AEW always manages to step up and/or pivot when things look shit. This might be the most important time but I honestly think they’ll manage it.

I'm not sure that's completely true; recently it's become apparent that they flounder a bit when they have to veer off whatever it is they had planned - and given that the direction of travel seemed to be a major feud between CM Punk and MJF, their main programme is once again in tatters. Hopefully we'll end up with something exciting that fills you with enthusiasm, and not another version of Jon Moxley vs Kyle O'Reilly. 

It should be a big feel good show, it’s meant to be escapism and the vast majority of the tv audience won’t have a clue about any of this , and even fewer will really care as much as we all do 

15 minutes ago, Louch said:

the vast majority of the tv audience won’t have a clue about any of this

Is that true of AEW's audiences?  WWE absolutely, it's a mainstream product that kids and parents watch.  But AEW is essentially created for internet fans by internet fans who became wrestlers.  It's audience is surely a lot smarkier by definition.