AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members

Punk's promo was good. 

What's the point of the rankings if there's having two battle royals to determine who will get to challenge for the tag title at revolution? Why not just have the other 4 teams in the top 5 rankings (since the Ass Boys had their shot) wrestle in two matches and have the winners challenge? 

That Danielson Moriarty match was good. Moriarty could make a good career for himself. Jim Ross pausing every time he said Danielson's name to try and make sure he said the right thing was sad. 

Moxley walks like an Oasis fan when he's coming to the ring. I wonder whether they could do a double turn at Revolution so we can have a heel Moxley chasing Hangman for the title. 

That Keith Lee video package was good. 

I like the idea of winning the ladder match to get a title shot, but is it really necessary when the TNT title has open challenges on it?  Does Wardlow win it, then do the turn when MJF demands the title? Was Max Caster trying to make himself look smaller than Wardlow because they look to be around the same height. It was weird that Spears was the one to distract the ref when Max used the chain, but I'm sure it'll play into things down the line. 

Has Cole had some kind of weird skin graft? The former Undisputed zera have moved on from Best Friends to Dark Order? Doesn't exactly scream main event to me. 

Has Jericho had some work done? He looked like he was in decent shape. Presumably Hager got into shape because he was having a match for the first time since Blood & Guts. Does he wrestle on Dark & Elevation? If not I bet Lesnar wishes he had the schedule Hager has. Nice pop for Eddie.Jericho kicks out of their finisher, but that one clothesline beats him? 

If they can just book a no DQ match why bother with the lights out stip? I know it's so they can put somebody over without having to alter their rankings system, but if you're that fed up of keep beating somebody why wouldn't you just want to go no holds barred? Plus why would the ref stop counting when Martinez grabbed the rope? What's he going to do, disqualify Rosa? Having said that the match was a heck of a spectacle until she fell off the top rope trying to drop the elbow. Presumably we get Rosa & Mercedes against Hayter & Rebel at some point. 

I see Buddy Matthews has arrived. 

Rampage looks like it could be good. Needs more HOOK though. 

I'd love if Hobbs qualified and the ladder match was all hosses. A big lads ladder match would be a first. 

Sammy looks stupid with two belts. And Jim Ross thinks the same. Was JR talking about them both having limitless futures some foreshadowing that they'll be wrestling Keith Lee somewhere down the line? They also changed which knee Darby was working partway through the match from the left knee to the right knee. 

5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I like the idea of winning the ladder match to get a title shot, but is it really necessary when the TNT title has open challenges on it? 

If they can just book a no DQ match why bother with the lights out stip?

It might be open challenge but that doesn't mean the champion has to accept it or that TK has to book it. It might be open to title challenges from outside the ranking system, that doesn't mean the likes of you and I could challenge for it for instance :)

I've always figured No DQ means they still have to finish it in the ring, otherwise it would be a falls count anywhere match, or a street fight, or any number of a wide variety of similar matches with different names :) 

• Paid Members
On 2/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, jazzygeofferz said:

What's the point of the rankings if there's having two battle royals to determine who will get to challenge for the tag title at revolution? Why not just have the other 4 teams in the top 5 rankings (since the Ass Boys had their shot) wrestle in two matches and have the winners challenge? 

The past 2 years the tag title challengers for Revolution have been decided by battle royale so it seems to be a tradition except this year they're doing two of them.

1 minute ago, Chunk said:

Is it just an age thing with JR? It makes for uncomfortable watching because I just feel bad for him when he makes mistake after mistake. He doesn't even sound like he's enjoying himself at this point.

I think he's been pretty decent recently. Sure, he has his moments; but on the whole, I've grown to like him in the role. Excalibur/Schiavone and Taz are probably the best trio AEW can offer, but Jim Ross still has it in him to elevate moments in a way others can't - take CM Punk's AEW debut, for example. 

20 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Is it just an age thing with JR? It makes for uncomfortable watching because I just feel bad for him when he makes mistake after mistake. He doesn't even sound like he's enjoying himself at this point.

He was making mistakes in the 90s. 

• Paid Members

yeah, JR's always slipped up and called the Hardys by the wrong name, and so on, because that's one of the pitfalls of live broadcasting. But in the '90s he was good enough that the energy he brought to commentary massively overpowered any slip-ups he was making.

Now, when he makes mistakes, he seems to spend half the match getting shitty about it. He always had it in him to be a bit salty, but it's rare that he would actively bury and belittle the show he was supposed to be putting over as much as he has a tendency to do in AEW. 

6 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Now, when he makes mistakes, he seems to spend half the match getting shitty about it.

I'd say this is a part that social media plays these days and working in a 3 person booth. I think the likes of Excalibur and to an extent Tony pick up on the mistake and correct it. So even if he didn't realise the mistake it becomes apparent. He then knows he's going to get battered on social media.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, theironshake said:

I honestly feel the energy of the show would be so much better if it was Tony and Excalibur in a two man booth. Maybe use JR for main events and sit down interviews. 

I've long argued that it should be Tony and Excalibur at the desk with a revolving door for the third man - JR can come in for the odd big match that they feel he will lend gravitas to, and also would hopefully be better positioned to bring his best work to a one-off match than if he had to prepare for an entire show. Otherwise, Taz can do some matches, Don Callis can if he comes back, workers who are involved in feuds can help further them from commentary, Paul Wight or Mark Henry can do some matches, and then various guests like they sometimes have on Dark. 

3 years in have you wonder what value his voice still brings. Number of people who haven’t watched wrestling years but haven’t caught some of AEW by now must be tiny