Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

Fulton weighed in at 121.9lbs.

Inoue weighed in at 121.7lbs

Big fight tomorrow live on Sky Sports from 9.30am.

I'm glad I got the day off work for this one. I have been looking forward to it for months now, to have this and then Spence vs Crawford 11 days later is what it is all about and exactly what we need in boxing rather then seeing world champions ducking the biggest fights in the game to fight a novice from MMA in his first professional boxing fight. 

I think Fulton will have some success early on with his footwork and intelligence in the ring but Inoue gets to him late on and forces the stoppage between 9-10 rounds. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gooner said:

Fulton weighed in at 121.9lbs.

Inoue weighed in at 121.7lbs

Big fight tomorrow live on Sky Sports from 9.30am.

I'm glad I got the day off work for this one. I have been looking forward to it for months now, to have this and then Spence vs Crawford 11 days later is what it is all about and exactly what we need in boxing rather then seeing world champions ducking the biggest fights in the game to fight a novice from MMA in his first professional boxing fight. 

I think Fulton will have some success early on with his footwork and intelligence in the ring but Inoue gets to him late on and forces the stoppage between 9-10 rounds. 

Actually posted about this in the boxing thread last week thinking it was on the weekend. Japan always hosts its boxing midweek though for some reason.

Just now, Gooner said:

Well, the reasoning for those fights not happening before 2024 have been well discussed, but you can feel free to believe that.

17 minutes ago, David said:

Well, the reasoning for those fights not happening before 2024 have been well discussed, but you can feel free to believe that.

I will do and you feel free to believe whatever  is coming out of Frank Warren's mouth and take it as gospel. 

Just now, Gooner said:

I will do and you feel free to believe whatever  is coming out of Frank Warren's mouth and take it as gospel. 

If you listen to what he's saying, and look at what's going on with the fighters you're talking about, it all makes sense.

If the inability to fight in Saudi isn't true, why is both AJ and Usyk not fighting there until next year? Usyk is fighting in Poland, for fuck sake! 

What is going to happen is the following, and you can feel free to pull me up on this if it doesn't happen and I'll happily admit I was wrong:

Fury fights Ngannou in October, Usyk fights Dubois in Poland, and AJ fights Whyte in London. All three fights are basically just the three main players staying active until next year, when AJ and Usyk can fight in Saudi.

If they all win, we'll see Usyk vs Fury signed for Saudi in March or so next year, and AJ against Wilder signed for Saudi around the same time. 

That's the reason why Wilder vs Ruiz isn't happening either, which means there's no WBC mandatory for Fury. Wilder is holding out for someone easier than Ruiz, then he wants the AJ fight in Saudi next year.

It's the Saudi money that's causing all of this.

In MMA news, Mike Jackson of CM Punk fight fame, is apparently fighting Pat Miletich:

Mike Jackson’s first post-UFC bout is booked, and he’ll face a UFC Hall of Famer who hasn’t competed in more than a decade.

Jackson will face Pat Miletich at Caged Aggression 36, a two-night event on Oct. 13 and 14 which takes place at the RiverCenter in Davenport, Iowa. The bout is being billed as “a highly anticipated and controversial battle of skill, age, and ideology.”

Promoter Mike Goodwin told MMA Fighting on Monday that the bout will be three five-minute rounds, and will be fully sanctioned.

Jackson returns to action after a less-than-ordinary three-fight run with the UFC, which includes a win over CM Punk that was overturned to a no contest, and a disqualification victory over Dean Barry at UFC Vegas 52 in April 2022. In his final octagon bout, Jackson was stopped in 93 seconds by Pete Rodriguez at UFC Vegas 62 this past October.

Since parting ways with the promotion, Jackson found himself in an intense rivalry with retired MMA veteran Jake Shields, which included an impromptu fight with Shields inside the UFC Performance Institute earlier this year.

Speaking with MMA Fighting in January after the Shields incident, Jackson also called for a fight with Miletich, explaining that the 55-year-old harassed him on social media. When reached for comment, Miletich told MMA Fighting that he was open to a fight with Jackson, but didn’t believe it would happen, saying Jackson “didn’t want the smoke.”

Now the bout will happen, and serves at Miletich’s first MMA bout since December 2008. Miletich fought for the UFC 10 times, compiling a record of 8-2, and captured the UFC welterweight title. Miletich was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame in July 2014.

Jackson's beef with Shields is well documented:

Welterweight Mike Jackson on Monday confirmed his release from the UFC with one bout remaining on his contract. The algorithm-based Twitter account UFC Roster Watch first reported the news.

Jackson, 37, told MMA Fighting his release is unrelated to a fight with Jake Shields at the UFC Performance Institute for which he is pressing charges. He said the promotion signaled it would release him after a recent bout fell through. Because of his record, which stands at 1-2 with one no-contest, he said matchmakers struggled to find suitable opponents and instead elected to release him from contract.

“I understand the business side of this,” he said. “But for me, it doesn’t matter. I made way more money not fighting than fighting.”

Now, Jackson said he wants a rematch with Shields under the terms he originally agreed to — a boxing match at a mutually agreed-upon gym. Jackson said he wasn’t able to defend himself properly at the UFC PI because he had just had surgery on his jaw.

“My mindset wasn’t to beat the f*** out of Jake Shields — it was to not get punched in the face,” Jackson said. “So he’s in my DMs, talking a bunch of s***, but then his tune changed, and he was like, ‘Do you want me to come to Houston to box? I’ll come box you.’ I haven’t responded yet, but that’s my new thing. He’s going to come to Houston, or we’re going to find somewhere to meet, and I’ll beat the f*** out of him for the s*** that he did.”

Reached for comment, Shields agreed to fight Jackson but doubted the extracurricular bout would happen.

“I’ll fly to Houston and fight him if I know for sure he will show, but he keeps making excuses,” Shields wrote to MMA Fighting via text. “I contacted his trainer directly to make sure he will be at the gym, and he seems to think he won’t actively fight me.”

Shields, a one-time UFC title challenger, confronted Jackson at the UFC PI after a back-and-forth on social media, and the two wound up in a physical confrontation. Jackson accused Shields of being a white supremacist and Nazi based on the ex-UFC fighter’s social media posts, while Shields accused Jackson of being a racist.

Jackson said Shields initiated the conflict at the UFC PI by spitting on him, while Shields told MMA Fighting that Jackson threw the first punch after turning down an offer to fight in the gym’s cage. In the video, Shields holds Jackson in mount and slaps him as Jackson asks onlookers for help.

Jackson said he’s speaking this week to a detective to initiate a criminal case against Shields.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

For some reason, best I can tell this is headlining the Apex! Bryce Mitchell vs Dan Ige has been announced for the same card as well. Surely it’s a mistake and it’s at a venue with a crowd otherwise what a waste. Save that shit for Strickland/Holm.