Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Gutted. Umar Nurmagomedov’s out of the Sandhagen fight. I was really looking forward to that one. Umar’s first 5 rounder and a massive step up in competition, would’ve answered some questions. Why does this shit always happen to the good fights and not the Holm/Strickland bollocks? 

• Paid Members

Struggling to even think who could replace him on 2 weeks notice as well. Adrian Yanez tweeted but hinted he hasn’t got the fight. Everyone else is either booked or injured. Only ones I could see being possible would be Dominick Cruz or Petr Yan. But not sure either would fancy taking the risk on this kind of notice. Yan’s coming off 3 straight losses and already beat Sandhagen so it’s probably not an appealing fight for him. Cruz is on his last legs, stepping in now against someone like Sandhagen and losing kills any last hope he’s got of getting one last title shot. I think Cruz is more likely to go for it than Yan but I don’t think either are gonna happen.

Sad to say but the most likely outcomes here are a) they get a much lower ranked opponent in who’s more likely to take the gamble. Or b) they take Sandhagen off the card altogether and promote the Jessica Andrade vs Tatiana Suarez fight up to headliner. 

• Paid Members

It doesn't strike me that Cruz is going anywhere near the title if he doesn't fight guys like Sandhagen, especially coming off a loss. But I think you're right in that he's most likely done.

Crazy to think he's finished with a record of 24-4. Three of his losses came in his last five fights. Prior to that, having avenged his loss to Faber, you'd have thought he'd last a while longer. Seems like Garbrandt might have taken his soul.

• Paid Members

There’s been talk recently that a Cruz vs Figgy fight is in the works so he seems to be planning to fight on, for now at least. And if that happens then it also means Figgy’s move up to 135 is back on. Can’t make his mind up that one.

If I had my way I’d have Sandhagen vs Cruz on this Aug 5th card now, and do Figgy vs Yan. But I’ll be a bit surprised if we get a significant name step in against Sandhagen now. 

• Paid Members

Screenshot_20230720_110821_Instagram.thumb.jpg.69af14c42e9deeac000fa378db6f73bd.jpg

Good stuff. Costa / Chimaev has me stupidly excited. Build up should be fun.

You have to think this is the end of Chimaev at 170lbs now which I feel is a shame. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Bruce85 said:

Helwani has tweeted DDP won’t be able to fight in September but Izzy wants to stay on the Sydney card and if so he will fight Strickland….. not sure how to embed a picture but it’s from his twitter. 

No liking for either guy, but always good to know when Strickland's about to get smashed up. Plus, it's good to get his title shot out of the way so we don't have to hear about him lobbying for one.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

You have to think this is the end of Chimaev at 170lbs now which I feel is a shame. 

Yeah it’s a shame. It felt like Chimaev’s rise at 170 was all building towards him fighting Edwards (finally, after 3 failed attempts), Usman, Covington, and eventually maybe Shavkat. If he never fights at 170 again, and I think it’s very doubtful he does now, it’ll feel like there’s unfinished business there. Still some fun matchups for him at 185, and at least it should eliminate the weight missing controversy that’s been surrounding his more recent fights. But I felt like 170 was where the better fights were. I won’t complain about Khamzat vs Costa, DDP, Whittaker, Adesanya etc though. Shame we don’t have a prime Yoel Romero still around. Khamzat vs Yoel would’ve been quite a spectacle, even if it didn’t end up being the best of fights.

This obviously kills that Costa vs Ikram Aliskerov fight that was set for 291 in a couple of weeks as well. Disappointing but obviously Khamzat vs Costa is bigger and better. Felt a bit too soon for Aliskerov to be thrown in with a name like Costa yet anyway. He’s one fight into his UFC run. He’s fighting Nassourdine Imavov on the Abu Dhabi card in October now instead.

I wonder where this Leon Edwards vs Colby Covington fight is gonna end up landing? I’m sure the initial talk was the Abu Dhabi card but the way the UFC runs now, I’ll be a tad surprised if they put that and Makhachev vs Oliveira 2 on the same card.

It’s all go. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Just now, WeeAl said:

@Davidis going to be delighted at that news! DDP will have to sit out a while in that case, he may not be back in there until February or March, if Adesanya fights in September. 

I hope Strickland wins and then only ever defends the title in the Apex. 

On 7/19/2023 at 7:38 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Gutted. Umar Nurmagomedov’s out of the Sandhagen fight. I was really looking forward to that one. Umar’s first 5 rounder and a massive step up in competition, would’ve answered some questions. Why does this shit always happen to the good fights and not the Holm/Strickland bollocks? 

Looks like Rob Font is stepping in according to twitter. Going to be 140lbs catchweight. 

Edited by Bruce85

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Bruce85 said:

Looks like Rob Font is stepping in according to twitter. Going to be 140lbs catchweight. 

Yeah just seen that now. Great fight. It’s not as interesting as the Umar fight for me but it might actually be a more fun fight to watch.

Font was all set to fight Song Yadong at 292 next month but I’ve read that Song is injured as well and his withdrawal from the Font fight was gonna be announced any day now anyway. So Sandhagen vs Font was a no brainer.