Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Very convenient how every time something big is going on that the UFC don’t like, we get bombarded with a flurry of fight announcements to bury the news. It happened when Francis Ngannou signed with PFL and now McGregor gets accused of rape again and we wake up to 3 new main event announcements? 

• Paid Members

Well fuck.

Obviously nothing official yet and I’m really not confident any of these 3 fights actually materialise but…

Oh, and JDS vs Werdum 2 in bare knuckle?

Edited by wandshogun09

Ngannou vs Chisora will be a pretty good barometer of where he is as a boxer. If he can beat Chisora, then he's legit. If he can stop Chisora, then he's very legit. Maybe not top three in the world legit, but a legit boxer worthy of note.

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I suppose what gives this fight a little more unpredictability than the usual puncher's chance for Ngannou is the fact that he was training in boxing before he went into MMA. But it's difficult to know if he's regressed from having had to train more in wrestling to fill in the gaps in his MMA game, or if he always made sure to keep training his striking to a level that could keep his nukes deadly in the boxing game.

• Paid Members

The potential Ngannou has here is all down to it being Heavyweight and even then, the disparity in boxing ability means he is never getting near being competitive with the tippy top men in Fury or Usyk. But because it's Heavyweight, he may just be able to sneak in there with a Joshua, Wilder, Chisora etc and land cleanly in the first three rounds. It's still more likely they chin him first, but the punchers chance is maybe there with those guys. It's not with the champs. 

It doesn't need to be though. For this to be a worthwhile venture for Ngannou, he only needs one big fight, the first one, and he's quids in. His PFL contract is on par with the UFC contract that he could have signed while also giving him the ability to negotiate at least one 8 figure pay day based off his name value. He's already struck it lucky. Looking somewhat competitive, or even hitting that hail Mary against one of the former champs, that gives him the sprinkles on top of the cherry on top of the cake. 

I guess for Ngannou and his people, it's figuring out the right way to go first. If he fought Fury first, maybe he gets $10-20M and then it's likely all done at that, lottery ticket cashed. pfl4life brother. 

Should he fight Chisora, win, and get $5-10M? Following that he could probably bag double the pay day from Fury that he could today. 

Any of you guys here, you follow boxing more than me, surely all fighters at title challenging level are foaming at the mouth to fight Francis? I'm a little surprised he isn't signed, sealed and delivered at this point. I'd have expected them all to think he's their best ratio of easiest fight:most reward. What do we expect is the hold up? Was it just Francis needing to get his shit with PFL sorted first? 

• Paid Members

Seems Lego is more brittle than it used to be. Cejudo is out of the Chito fight at UFC 292 in August. Saw Chito tweeted this though…

I’d be all over that. Chito vs Yan is the fight I wanted anyway. Much prefer that to anything involving Cejudo. Hopefully it gets made but I haven’t heard anything about Yan since the loss to Merab.