Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I don’t even hate that one, to be honest. I’d still rather they just did it in MMA but whatever. They’re both way past their primes but they’re nowhere near that Bigfoot stage where it’s just depressing to watch. 

• Paid Members

They’ll do but I’m not a massive fan of either of them fights, to be honest. Obviously this big December Saudi mega card they’ve been on about (Fury vs Usyk, Joshua vs Wilder) always seemed like some mad silly pipedream but if there was any chance of getting at least one of those fights made, doing these fights feels like they’re just asking for something to derail plans again. I’ve pretty much given up on Fury vs Usyk completely now anyway. Hearn’s been saying AJ vs Wilder is close to being a done deal, so why even bother with this Whyte rematch? I mean I think AJ should win but it just feels like they’re tempting fate again. If you’ve got the big fight, do the big fight. Why put potential obstacles in the way all the time? I don’t know. I’m sure there are logical reasons. I guess AJ didn’t wanna sit out until December etc. But it’s so frustrating as a fan basically watching the window closing on these fights happening when they still actually mean something. 

I'm happy enough with both fights but of course not the fights we all want to see. Usyk vs Fury and Wilder vs Joshua do both really need to happen. It's beginning to become ridiculous that still neither is signed or confirmed yet. 

I'm completely unenthused by the heavyweight boxing scene now. Something I wouldn't have imagined I'd be saying when Fury closed out that final win over Wilder. I assumed we'd get the big fights we all wanted.

Seems I was wrong.

• Paid Members

Fighting Whyte is a massive gamble with a supposed Deontay Wilder fight on the horizon. Eddie Hearn has been adamant that Joshua wanted to fight in August then again in December, and whilst that's probably beneficial from an activity standpoint, i'd bet the real reason this fight is happening is because DAZN need it to happen. AJ signing was a huge coup for them, and AJ fighting drives subscribers & PPV, they want him fighting as much as possible.

As for the actual fight, AJ should win it, Dillian Whyte has looked pretty lousy as of late but there's always the danger that he'll catch Joshua, risky shit.

• Paid Members

Well…MSG’s got its main event. 

IMG_6271.jpeg

Funny as well, same day this has been picking up steam.

Such a coincidence how every time Francis so much as blinks, Dana’s got an announcement to make. 

Edited by wandshogun09

44 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Well…MSG’s got its main event. 

IMG_6271.jpeg

Funny as well, same day this has been picking up steam.

Such a coincidence how every time Francis so much as blinks, Dana’s got an announcement to make. 

Holy fucking shit this fight announcement has just made me squeal 

• Paid Members

Steady on kfogg

The Jones/Miocic announcement co-incides with Fury/Ngannou talk but that's stanard promotional practice surely? I don't see that a cheap shot or a dirty move from Dana and the UFC. 

Eddie Hearn announced AJ/Whyte II mere hours after Queeensbury announced Usyk/Dubois on PPV. Promoters gonna promote.

It's also been reported by Helwani that the plan was to do a Jones/Miocic press conference at International Fight Week but the fight wasn't done in time.

Jones vs Miocic in 2023 is kinda "meh" to me. 

This isn't the Stipe we saw putting Cormier away in terrific fashion in their second fight. This is 40 year old Stipe who hasn't fought in two years and last we saw him he got absolutely hammered by Ngannou.

No doubt a win for Jones here will immediately have him considered the greatest fighter of all the times, and so on. But nah, it's a fight that's a bit too late for me. It would be like signing Jones vs Ngannou in three years.