Jump to content

25 years ago today...


tiger_rick
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members

WWF werent fucking nuts didnt it?  It was only a few months before this they were doing a simple "you shagged my wife?!" angle with Bulldog and Shawn Michaels. Then out of the blue Brian Pillman had a gun. In the Jerry Springer era, you can sort of see why some thought it was real. Because TV was so exploitive you wouldnt put it past wrestling to be like "keep the camera rolling while this man murders the other."

Although, Jerry Springer turned out to be a work just like wrestling, so ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

How did this air in the UK? As is? Surely not. I remember this was the one episode of Raw I missed in about a year of becoming obsessed with pro-wrestling, because I had to sleep at my nan’s and she didn’t have Sky. Still haven’t forgiven my family, to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I wouldn't know, didn't have Sky. I only read about it. Didn't see it until the p2p era. 30th time lucky after downloading a load of files called Brian.Pillman.Murders.Steve.Austin.mpg that all turned out to be women being fucked by dogs. Probably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember friends coming to school the Monday after telling me that Pillman pulled out a gun and swore, so I assume it aired in full. Which is funny considering some of the shit they edited off during the 10pm-12pm era of Raw, because I'm sure this was when Raw was still on early evening on Friday?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

I remember friends coming to school the Monday after telling me that Pillman pulled out a gun and swore, so I assume it aired in full. 

Yeah, the issue of Power Slam runs the whole angle down in full with no mention of an edit, so I imagine it went out in full. I know the RTL2 version went out in full, because that's the version I saw. I simply remember thinking "what the fuck is going on here?" Regardless of what your opinion of this angle is, good or bad, for me its the most mind blowing angle in wrestling history. I didnt know what the fuck was happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fascinated with that embryonic version of the Attitude Era you start to see on Raw in the fall of 96. There's a very strong argument to be made that pre double turn Stone Cold is best Stone Cold. Even a year later when the shows were routinely written around his interruptions, they felt a lot more like advertised extravaganzas whereas around the time of this angle he just genuinely seemed like an absolute maniac who should have been contracted solely to perform in the ring - but who the cameras kept picking up causing havoc and mouthing off. Just so fresh and real, far more than the boys in black and white doing their big Power Rangers beatdowns and throwing gang signs. 

Raw was Raw for about 50 minutes, and then his 10 felt like Cops. 

Kevin Kelly is a big part of this angle as well, for me. His flustered, good guy naivety is a huge part of what makes it work. 

That establishing shot showing quite an opulent house is the McManor, right? It's been awhile since I've seen the full version but I recall them using an outside shot of a house with pillars out the front porch, which I didn't take to be the same place as inside. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

It definitely aired because I vividly remember being glued to the telly when Austin was battering a couple of blokes being described as “Pillman’s friends” outside the house. Including throwing a kid’s bike off one’s head and shutting the other’s head in a car door. All summer I’d been watching stuff like TL Hopper, Pug Porteau, The Goon and Who and now this?

I might be wrong but I seem to recall they didn’t actually show the gun on Sky. Maybe I just saw an earlier showing or something but the version I remember showed Austin causing havoc outside the house, then smashing the door in and right when he got inside the footage cut out and went to some fuzzy interference. Mad the change from the usual product of the time though. 

Edited by wandshogun09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

That establishing shot showing quite an opulent house is the McManor, right? It's been awhile since I've seen the full version but I recall them using an outside shot of a house with pillars out the front porch, which I didn't take to be the same place as inside. 

That was legit Pillman's house.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I'm fascinated with that embryonic version of the Attitude Era you start to see on Raw in the fall of 96. There's a very strong argument to be made that pre double turn Stone Cold is best Stone Cold. Even a year later when the shows were routinely written around his interruptions, they felt a lot more like advertised extravaganzas whereas around the time of this angle he just genuinely seemed like an absolute maniac who should have been contracted solely to perform in the ring - but who the cameras kept picking up causing havoc and mouthing off. Just so fresh and real, far more than the boys in black and white doing their big Power Rangers beatdowns and throwing gang signs. 

I'll die on the hill of January 1996 being a turning point when Diesel flipped off Undertaker at the Royal Rumble.

In fact, the whole Diesel tweener run was pretty Attitude wasn't it? But by Mind Games you had Austin calling Bret Hart "Shitman" and all sorts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The segment didn’t air in full in the UK even during the late showing of Raw. Although I did manage to see it years later. The segment was terrible. A blatant attempt to increase ratings during a time when WCW were ahead in the Monday Night War. The segment generally wasn’t looked at positively at the time. Guns have no place in wrestling. Wonder if it was Bruce’s idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, LCJ said:

The segment didn’t air in full in the UK even during the late showing of Raw.

Pretty sure it did. I don't recall the version rick's posted being any different from the one I remember seeing on Sky, but it has been a while admittedly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...