The Emma Raducanu Appreciation Thread (All Tennis welcome)

SuperBacon

12 hours ago, Loki said:

I didn’t watch but did Djokovic do his usual thing of playing like a tired man in the first set, then popping off to the loo and winning the next 2 sets like he’s 21 again?

I’m beginning to wonder if the top of tennis is like the top of the cycling world a decade ago - riddled with performance enhancing drugs but just under the radar.

If he is popping to the loo to partake in any shenanigans he's got the balls to do it under the nose of the official who is tasked with accompanying any player who leaves the court during matchplay for any reason.

If anything it breaks the flow of the opposition, puts them off their game and allows him to regroup.

27 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I doubt the official is standing in the cubical with him while he’s taking a dump and doing a key from his stash under his wristband. 

I heard the only thing he snorts is the tears of the vaccinated.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The greatest of all time isn't he?

Absolutely. I appreciate there is an argument for Nadal, but for me Rog is the greatest. At a time when the men's game was still feeling the effects of the big servers (Sampras, Phillippousis, Rusedski, Roddick) along came some truly brilliant tennis players such as Federer and Hewitt. Federer is, for me, the greatest ambassador for the sport in the modern era and one of the greatest sports ambassadors full stop. Genuinely came across as humble and never took his success for granted, you could see how elated he was every time he won a grand slam.

It's insane how many grand slams him and Nadal have won whilst being around at the same time. They are, and probably always be for as long as I live, at the very top of the tennis mountain. The other guy doesn't even lace their tennis shoes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The really greats sportspeople fundamentally change their sport forever.  There was women's tennis before Navratilova, and women's tennis after Navratilova, a dramatically different game.

• 2 weeks later...

Wimbledon starts today then. Very hard to see anyone getting the better of Djokovic on grass, but Medvedev at 20/1 isn't the worst shout in the world.

Andy Murray with one last hurrah? Would be great to see wouldn't it?

No tantrums from Kyrgios as he has withdrawn hours before the tournament starts with ligament wrist damage.

I guess that's what you get for being a wanker :)

• 2 weeks later...

Take nothing away from Vondrousova, but that is one of the biggest chokings of all time by Jabeur. She beat herself unfortunately, which is such a shame. Probably because I had a tenner on her* 🤣

You can't have a first save that bad and have so many unforced errors in a final. A dreadful performance from her to be honest.

*Edit: each way apparently, so a £35 profit still for a chippy tea.

Edited by SuperBacon