Worst cases of hot-shotting

bbabba

13 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Although i agree that creatively they could of hads loads of fun having Punk tour with it, you can imagine with Summerslam around the corner WWE were nervous to not feature the championship. 

It's not like The WWE was short of other championship belts at the time, what with the Divas title, the IC title, United States Title, the Tag Belts and the World Heavyweight Title. 

Hell, Punk was barely gone a week before they had a tournament and crowned Rey champion for about thirty minutes.

They could have had a match for Mysterio's title at Summerslam, if not for Super Cena.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure I'd class it as hot-shotting given they probably could have done it at the start of 2008, but having Jeff Hardy's big first title win be on a nothing December PPV will always annoy me. They should always try holding off shit like that for Wrestlemania and it's not like WM25 wouldn't have been muuuuch better off for it. The SD title had been in a good spot with Triple H as champion, it felt really important and they had a great thing going on with Jeff just coming up short a few times, but they fucked it up continually from November on. With about 12 "shock! The ultimate opportunist strikes agan!!!" Edge title wins in the space of six months.

I actually had to google to see what Jeff was doing at WM25, meanwhile one of the title matches is the culmination of a Cena/Edge/Big Show/Vickie (ffs) angle. Trash.

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Surely the answer for this has to be Jinder Mahal being elevated from bottom-of-the-card comedy act to WWE Champion because of some overseas TV deal.

The TV deal ended up being one of those things they'd point to to justify something they wanted to do, to try and make sense of it. The India TV deal wasn't as big a part, after all, they had Trips beat Jinder in India right after.

Rusev was the guy that was lined up to beat Orton for the title, but he was out injured. Jinder was suggested as a one off PPV stop gap, but Vince fell in love with his physique and wanted to try him as a top guy so he put the belt on him. Yeah, very definition of a hotshot situation...

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Another one that I can think of - pretty sure they gave away Ken Shamrock v Dan Severn on Raw once for the sake of popping a rating. It ended, I think, in a double DQ or something within a few minutes due to interference or something equally stupid. Why they didn't just hold that off for a PPV where it may actually lead to money I don't know. This may have been around the point at which they realised that Severn was not going to be doing anything meaningful in the Attitude era.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Roy said:

Another one that I can think of - pretty sure they gave away Ken Shamrock v Dan Severn on Raw once for the sake of popping a rating. 

I doubt it was even to pop a rating, I don't think they ever really understood what they had there. But yeah, they had one singles match on TV that went to a DQ in less than three minutes. Ridiculous that they had the two of them under contract, at a time when they had (IIRC) one win apiece in UFC, and they never had a real feud or worked together on PPV. 

19 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I doubt it was even to pop a rating, I don't think they ever really understood what they had there. But yeah, they had one singles match on TV that went to a DQ in less than three minutes. Ridiculous that they had the two of them under contract, at a time when they had (IIRC) one win apiece in UFC, and they never had a real feud or worked together on PPV. 

More baffling because they mentioned them being 1-1 several times on Raw and did do a couple of teases, then threw it out there randomly in a nothing fashion, almost to squash it on purpose. 

• Paid Members

Wasn't Severn difficult to work with from the off, seeing himself as being above the level he was booked in and not being too fond of loosing even in a worked match and bitching because they didn't want him walking around with so many belts on TV? 

I might be mistaken, it happens a lot, but if I'm not I can't imagine that made him too many friends and would make any gains they did see in pairing them up look less appealing. 

I'm not his biggest fan by any means, in fact I'm almost delighted he's no longer on my TV but firing the belt onto The Fiend was pretty quick and needless. He had a character building that didn't need to be going after the strap and ultimately it ruined the character because they had no way to get it off him without him looking like a mug.

29 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Wasn't Severn difficult to work with from the off, seeing himself as being above the level he was booked in and not being too fond of loosing even in a worked match and bitching because they didn't want him walking around with so many belts on TV? 

Yeah, he lobbied really hard to bring his UFC and NWA belts on TV one week and was sorta buried from that point on.

8 hours ago, CL Punk said:

It's not like The WWE was short of other championship belts at the time, what with the Divas title, the IC title, United States Title, the Tag Belts and the World Heavyweight Title. 

Hell, Punk was barely gone a week before they had a tournament and crowned Rey champion for about thirty minutes.

They could have had a match for Mysterio's title at Summerslam, if not for Super Cena.

All totally fair. Im just trying to put myself in their boots. They definitely could of done better with the whole concept and execution.