Worst cases of hot-shotting

bbabba

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Yeah, he lobbied really hard to bring his UFC and NWA belts on TV one week and was sorta buried from that point on.

I get not using the NWA title, but them not putting the UFC title on TV when it was literally his only selling point is a ridiculous decision.

I think it's less that he was difficult and more that he wasn't 100% committed to the WWF - he was still working independent dates, and still doing MMA fights the whole time he was working there. In his book, he talked about pitching stories where - during his feud with Owen Hart - he'd have Owen interfere in matches on his indie dates, or of dropping the NWA belt to Owen, and that they weren't interested in anything off their own programming. A year or two earlier, I think they'd have been all for it, but by 1998 they were back to being pretty insular. It probably didn't help that Shamrock himself was on borrowed time for most of his run too, though.

You'd think, though, that even if he was difficult to work with, even if they didn't like his ideas, or they thought there was a risk of him getting hurt in a UFC fight or working elsewhere so it wasn't worth committing to him, that would be evenĀ moreĀ reason to get the Shamrock match out of the way because that was the only real draw they could get out of him at that time. If I remember correctly, when they were both in King Of The Ring '98 the announcers talked up how they both had experience in tournament situations because of the UFC and Severn's background in amateur wrestling, only for Severn to be eliminated in the semi-finals.

I'm not saying the final should have been Shamrock/Severn instead of Shamrock/Rock (though I'm sure Cornette has said that was the plan at one point), but rather than Shamrock/Jarrett and Rock/Severn as the semi-final matches at the PPV, they could have had Severn and Shamrock meet in the semi-final and that be a big story in its own right. That could have then set up Shamrock/Severn for either the next PPV or Summerslam, orĀ both, with one of them being a gimmicked MMA fight. Instead, we just had Severn playing second fiddle to Owen Hart.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, hallicks said:

File under "because TNA", but didn't they rush through a "bearded underdog overcomes all the odds to become world champion" thing with Eric Young at the same time or just after Daniel Bryan's WM30 title win?

It felt like a lot of the "ex WWE guys comes in and immediately wins the world title" stuff TNA used to do was hit-shotted.Ā 

• Paid Members

I can't believe there are people who genuinely wanted more Dan Severn on WWF TV in 98.Ā 

Also while they were technically 1-1 Severn's win was a split decision after the 30 minute stalemate snoozefest where they just circled each other like two opposing magnets.Ā 

• Paid Members

Wasn't Severn told to "f*ck off" basically when he refused to join the "Ministry of Darkness" and have "666" across his chest like the APA did with the symbols at the start. So he'd be the actual "Beast". Was the big Internet rumour of the day.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Wasn't Severn told to "f*ck off" basically when he refused to join the "Ministry of Darkness" and have "666" across his chest like the APA did with the symbols at the start. So he'd be the actual "Beast". Was the big Internet rumour of the day.

I've never heard that before but he'd have fit right it next to viscera and mideon in that bumble fuck of a stable, tearing it up with the union.Ā 

Did they also do an angle where Owen gave him a sit out tombstone and "broke" his neck in a callback to summerslam 97 or have I imagined that?

9 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

All totally fair. Im just trying to put myself in their boots. They definitely could of done better with the whole concept and execution.

To quote a certain Olympic gold medallist; Oh it's true, it's damn true.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:47 AM, Tommy! said:

I can't believe there are people who genuinely wanted more Dan Severn on WWF TV in 98.Ā 

I liked the initial presentation of him. This was around the time WWF was shifting its identity to the Attitude era so there were a few things that weren't fully transitioned over. The colour of ring ropes, use of the old block-style WWF logo, magazines having columns calling back to legends of bygone eras, use of that ad with Ernie Ladd and others narrating, some belts, etc. For me, Dan Severn looked like a guy plucked from the turn of the century. His presentation of having lots of belts, minimal gear (a sweated grey t-shirt and a towel in addition to the most basic of trunks/boots) and that moustache legitimised him as a tough guy. I think if they were clever with it, they could have done a lot more with him.

I got similar vibes when Steven Regal debuted around the same time (this was prior to the Man's Man gimmick), in the sense that he was presented as a tough wrestler and his style was out of keeping with the rest of the show. I think the main think I liked with Severn and Regal was that they were different. There were still many people who weren't fully on board with the direction WWF were going in around 97/98 and wanted some bits of anitquity/nostalgia to cling onto.Ā Ā 

On 8/30/2021 at 11:54 PM, FUM said:

I'm not his biggest fan by any means, in fact I'm almost delighted he's no longer on my TV but firing the belt onto The Fiend was pretty quick and needless. He had a character building that didn't need to be going after the strap and ultimately it ruined the character because they had no way to get it off him without him looking like a mug.

The worst part of all of that was putting him in the title match in the first place with Rollins in the Hell in a Cell. Ending with The Fiend winning by DQ because Rollins hit him with a hammer or whatever it was. Dreadful booking.Ā 

3 hours ago, Chasingamymatt said:

Can i have the WCW title in 2000 just all encompasing? I think it changed hands over 20 times.Ā 

Vacated six times, tenĀ championsĀ (including two non-wrestlers; Russo and Arquette) who traded the belt 18 times in the year 2000.

Edited by CL Punk