General Disney Hate Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

https://screenrant.com/cruella-movie-emma-stone-disney-lawsuit-rumors-updates/

Ahh fantastic. Also rumours that Emily Blunt will be next. The Rock won't follow suit though because I think he might be a bastard, unfortunately.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Something tells me that coming from the background he does The Rock will know all about getting shafted on the backend and probably has a slightly better upfront deal than the ladies. Jack Whitehall was probably just happy he got a pass to Disneyland and some mouse money to spend in the park.

I can see the dual releases being an issue going forward, but I do wonder how much the impact actually was with it during a pandemic. How many more people really would've gone to the cinema? Or were Disney expected to hold these movies back for an indefinite period?

I do think it's a tough call from a business perspective for sure.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I can see the dual releases being an issue going forward, but I do wonder how much the impact actually was with it during a pandemic. How many more people really would've gone to the cinema? Or were Disney expected to hold these movies back for an indefinite period?

Fast 9 has done $630 million so far so they would have been fine.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Fast 9 has done $630 million so far so they would have been fine.

Fast films usually do over Billion. It’s already out of cinemas as well in some countries. Even my local only has 1 showing a day now and it’s in VOD in the US.

I’m not sure who to back here. Because I think they have merit to sue. At the same time, those films were already heavily delayed (jungle cruise originally was due out in 2019, but believe they may have thrown in some reshoots) and how much longer were they supposed to hold out on them? However if they have a clause in their contract, they should have come to an agreement before these release to make sure everyone was happy.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Fast films usually do over Billion. It’s already out of cinemas as well in some countries.

It obviously wasn't going to do as well but it still made a profit during a pandemic. By the same logic and by Marvel's usual business, so would Black Widow.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Two of the eleven have reached a billion haven’t they? 

Yeah, 7 and 8 as the series got more popular over time so yeah, this was another billion dollar film pre Covid.

27 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It obviously wasn't going to do as well but it still made a profit during a pandemic. By the same logic and by Marvel's usual business, so would Black Widow.

$70 million for F9, $98 million for part 8. $1.2 b total for F8. But for F8 only 18% of total box office was the US. For F9, that’s 26.5%. F8 had a budget of $250m. Films need to make 3x budget to clear all costs, and traditionally each film costs more to make.

Please never make me breakdown the box office of the fast series again.

What I will say though, is you would expect the profit is higher on streaming. I’m sure for opening weekend the Studio gets around 15% of the Box Office, which increases each additional weekend. Streaming sales through Apple they would see around 80%. But they are selling this on Disney+ so even more of a cut. So you’d expect, if they are offering cuts of streaming revenue that would actually be more then box office performance which would then just be an ego thing.

2 hours ago, waters44 said:

I really really really hope this goes somewhere and doesn’t just fade away. Look at this statement from Disney, what a pile of pricks..

D7D259A2-4181-4DA6-80CE-4657177C71AF.thumb.jpeg.487b9c0285cd85cf9991c66f1e36ed37.jpeg

No idea what the logic behind the second line is. 

I struggle to feel sorry for someone being paid 20 million then complaining her back end payments are a bit short due to streaming, sorry

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I struggle to feel sorry for someone being paid 20 million then complaining her back end payments are a bit short due to streaming, sorry

If you’re hired and your salary is £24k a year but you only get paid £12k because your boss changed his terms, would you be ok with that?

it’s not the amount. If your lifestyle is based on earning ridiculous sums of money, the impact to the individual will still be the same.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

The bigger picture is the death of Disney, come on!

4 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

For me it's not about her at all, it's about this potentially opening up change for the workers on these films in general.