• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I was already subscribed to Discovery+ anyway for other stuff, but I have always found their app on my Roku quite rubbish.  Yeah, I can watch everything but a lot of the fringe streams have zero presentation, no commentary or analysis.  For the gymnastic sub-divisions, which aren't exactly super-fringe, on at the minute the streams are by apparatus with no commentary (there is a curated gymnastics stream that does).  ...and the app crashed after the second Mexican floor routine.

Edit:  Also, I don't know if it's because Tokyo was a completely different timezone so people didn't notice, but the amount of coverage the BBC were allowed was under the same agreement for Tokyo.  "Why don't the BBC show every sport" ad nauseum over social media for the next decade is going to bore me to tears.

...and D+ crashes again on the curated gymnastics feed.

Edited by johnnyboy

• Paid Members

I had to get a work mobile at the start of the first lockdown and just went with EE as they offered lots of data. It came with a free monthly subscription to BT Sports which was nice. I cancelled the add on when the trial ended but they didn’t cut me off. It then switched to TNT and then to Discovery and I still have access having never paid for it. There’s quite a lot on there we’ll watch, Dr Pimple Pooper being a particular favourite.

But as JB said above, their Olympics coverage isn’t amazing and they have a really annoying “swoosh” sound effect every time they cut in and out of a replay.

There’s also no Gabby Logan.

• Moderators

Downloaded the discovery plus app on my ps4 after having signed up. Shit sign in process and their app is sluggish as hell. Really bad, makes it really hard to flick between sports.

I think people were spoiled by the coverage we had for London 2012, jb and compare everything to that. Which I get. 

51 minutes ago, Scratch said:

I had to get a work mobile at the start of the first lockdown and just went with EE as they offered lots of data. It came with a free monthly subscription to BT Sports which was nice. I cancelled the add on when the trial ended but they didn’t cut me off. It then switched to TNT and then to Discovery and I still have access having never paid for it. There’s quite a lot on there we’ll watch, Dr Pimple Pooper being a particular favourite.

But as JB said above, their Olympics coverage isn’t amazing and they have a really annoying “swoosh” sound effect every time they cut in and out of a replay.

There’s also no Gabby Logan.

Discovery+ has no Claire Balding though. So swings and roundabouts and all that.

• Members

That's the problem with selling off rights to things that for years have been covered by a national broadcaster. Other companies do it much, much worse.

The BBC get a load of shit, but their sports coverage is still by and large superb (please don't talk to me about the football, yes I know the pundits are shit) and IMO make a huge effort most of the time.

They always make a massive deal out of the Olympics, but clearly can't afford the exclusive rights to show it all, which is sad.

Adam Peaty final tonight which he should smash. Didn't realise he holds the 14 quickest times ever. That's mental.

3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Also, I don't know if it's because Tokyo was a completely different timezone so people didn't notice, but the amount of coverage the BBC were allowed was under the same agreement for Tokyo.

Think this must be it, it's how I seem to remember it also and feeling the BBC coverage at the time was pretty immense. Must be remembering it incorrectly, as I was under the impression then you could go back and watch much of the previous stuff after the fact. I was sure I'd watched and caught up with all of the Rugby 7s in one go, thinking it was awesome and that I'd do the same with future Olympics. Yet I can't seem to find such options this time, just the final. As well as being able to go through the various weightlifting categories previously, not selected highlights.

• Paid Members

Just want to share the hatred for Discovery+, absolute shite. Eurosport has always been crap and this is just an extension of it. 

• Paid Members

I'm having absolutely zero problems with Discovery +, bar a few streams having no commentary as mentioned but picture has been clear and no crashes. 

Unlike the skateboarding which since I've turned it back on, nobody has landed a single trick. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I like the 'Gold Medal Alert' they have on Discovery+ when a final is about to end so you can quickly switch over to it to watch the final stages.

On another note, the bows in archery are too hi-tech for my liking.

And I irrationally don’t like how they tilt downwards once the arrow’s been fired.

• Paid Members

The best moving wallpaper stream when nothing is happening is the beach volleyball.  Between matches you get the very pleasing shot of the arena with the Eiffel Tower looming over it.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

I'm having absolutely zero problems with Discovery +, bar a few streams having no commentary as mentioned but picture has been clear and no crashes. 

Unlike the skateboarding which since I've turned it back on, nobody has landed a single trick. 

In case you didn't catch, there's two parts to it - the first where they string a run of relatively safe tricks together into a routine, and then the second bit where they are just trying to nail their best single trick, but have multiple attempts. So that's why there's a lot more bails in the latter