The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

The K2 and Kounde dream is dead. Long live Ake + hopefully not Kimpembe or De Ligt.

I'll try and take solace in the fact that aside from the immortal Thiago, I didn't particularly rate any of our CBs at the point Tuchel took over.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Paid Members

The tenuous footballer knowing link, Lee Burge of ex Coventry and Sunderland goalkeeper fame managed to kick me square in the skull in 2 rugby matches in a row during High School. Considering I was playing on a kids Sunday league team with him at the time you'd have thought he may have gone a bit easier on me. 

• Paid Members

Good god, what a dominant performance from England tonight. Going into the tournament many were saying how this would be the toughest game in the group, especially with Hegerberg back in the international fold, but Norway were really poor. 

England's forwards pressing like fuck in the 90th minute, 8-0 up, Sarina really has this team ticking. Phil Neville was shit.

Clearly a bonkers thing to say about a team who won 8-0 but I genuinely thought England looked mediocre, only Millie Bright & Beth Mead looked really good.

Norway didn't even turn up obviously, which led to England having 25 shots but only half of them were on target.

Ellen White took both of her goals really well, but should have had 4 or 5 at least. She had plenty of chances in the Austria game last week too.

Lucy Bronze is supposedly one of the best players in the world and is impressive going forward, but the wingers were easily finding space around her to whip crosses in.

It will be interesting to see how they get on in the knockout stage, seeing if the forwards improve their accuracy when they don't get another chance every couple of minutes and whether the defence tightens up against the better attacking sides. 

• Paid Members

Hemp was a menace on the other flank to Mead- the pair of them ran Norway ragged. You can argue that rather than Norway not turning up, England didn't allow them to- they pressed like mad fuckers and gave them no breathing space.

Kirby's passing was sumptuous, we've been waiting a long time to see her make her mark on the major stage and hopefully her fatigue issues won't affect her throughout the tournament. 

41 minutes ago, dopper said:

England having 25 shots but only half of them were on target.

It's odd that you're making out this is a bad thing, teams generally have more shots off target than on target. England had 25 shots, 15 on target.

42 minutes ago, dopper said:

Clearly a bonkers thing to say

Agreed

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I think I've actually willed the K2 move into existence! The only (remotely available) man capable of replacing Rudi. Twice the defender and half the price than some of the other players we've been linked with. It'll be nice to have another elite leader at the back ready for when if Silva ever declines or leaves. There really aren't many around like him.

kalidou-koulibaly-joueur-africain.gif

If Barca pretend they have enough money to sign him as well I'm going to jump out the window.

• Paid Members

Not sure what to think about K2. On the one hand a top class veteran who can bring leadership. On the other hand we've already got an old lad propping up the defence, two seems one too many. Imagine putting them next to each other against Liverpool. Yikes. On the third hand, it might mean someone like Colwill can hang on as "experience" is well and truly covered.

Just chatting to a mate about odd things in football, and one thing that has jumped into my head (which very well might be complete nonsense) was a player in Serie A back in the 90's who was owned by 2 clubs in the league and shared game time between them. 

Any ideas on this one lads? I have a feeling that the 2 clubs were Juventus and Fiorentina, but cannot recall who the player was. 

Like I said, I'm probably making this up. But help me out if not. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Justice said:

Just chatting to a mate about odd things in football, and one thing that has jumped into my head (which very well might be complete nonsense) was a player in Serie A back in the 90's who was owned by 2 clubs in the league and shared game time between them. 

Any ideas on this one lads? I have a feeling that the 2 clubs were Juventus and Fiorentina, but cannot recall who the player was. 

Like I said, I'm probably making this up. But help me out if not. 

It doesn't ring a bell (the playing for the two clubs concurrently) but co ownership is quite common in Serie A, so if it did happen, probably more than likely it was there.

Maybe one for The Guardian Knowledge column to investigate?

• Paid Members

Co ownership is definitely a thing in Serie A but moves between Fiorentina and Juventus were rare in the 90s. You're either looking at Roberto Baggio right at the start of the decade or Moreno Torricelli based off a Google search or three 

It's likely I'm getting the clubs wrong, but the scenario of being co-owned by and playing for 2 clubs is something I've always remembered. Most likely remembered it incorrectly though. 

Edit: Adriano was owned by both Inter and Palma. I think he played half a season for each or something like that. Not exactly what I was saying, but at least I know I'm not going crazy. 

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Steve Justice said:

Adriano was owned by both Inter and Palma. I think he played half a season for each or something like that. Not exactly what I was saying, but at least I know I'm not going crazy. 

I guess that's possible, in a similar vein to somebody transferring to another team during the Jan window (or just at pretty much any other part of the season, before the window was established)- but I doubt there would have been going back and forth between the teams during the same season.

Moving onto current football, does Frenkie De Jong actually want to move to United? Sounds like he really, really wants to stay and United are still putting their eggs in this basket. 

Edited by PunkStep