The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s time to release the handshake emojis, Liverpool are signing Darwin Nunez for all the money! Could be the Uruguayan Andy Carroll but I’m reserving my disdain for when he doesn’t score on his debut.

Haven’t seen much of him apart from in Europe this season but before that he looked a top player in Spain.

Could score goals for fun in that Liverpool side.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Apropos of nothing, had a football related smirk this week. Not long after we moved in, the next door neighbours completed too and the chaps called Jenson. By coincidence when we told them we were getting a telly delivered by Currys, they mentioned they’d had a nightmare that Currys sent their fridge to completely the wrong address, but it got signed for, and when Currys said they could take a replacement from store, the one they ordered was out of stock so they had to settle for a different one. So, a couple of days ago I got delivered a complaint/warranty resolution letter with a QR code for a £40 goodwill discount, to my address, but for someone else. The first initial was J, so I knocked on guessing it may have been for him given I knew they’d had a gripe. The upshot, I found out that I now live next door to Mr Jenson John.

Euro-96-John-Jensen291.jpg

SO close.

• Paid Members

If I were Spurs, I'd sign him without hesitation. He can play in any of those forward three positions and if either Kane, Son and Kulusevski are out- who do you play? £50m or so for that kind of quality will soon seem like a bargain. I think he's better than Kulusevski anyway. Bergwijn might be off to Ajax and Lucas Moura isn't getting younger (or better).

I'm saying this forgetting that you've just signed Perisic. But still, I'd bring him in. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Explain to me the possible benefits of this if it came in, because I don't see any.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

This news was broke to me by the no1 ITK IndyKaila. His inclusion of “It was Arsene Wengers  idea” made me giggle.

Of course it is. Him and Arsenal fans can't get over Rory Delap, can they.

• Paid Members

Sorry to disappoint you, but my views on throw-ins aren't tied to the trauma of Rory Delap succeeding with a few throw-ins against over a 2 year period. In fact, Delap's throws are one of the few decent things I've ever seen when it comes to throw-ins due to them being something different (despite me hating Stoke's playing style). That Iranian player providing a great comedy moment at the last World Cup is another, but that was once.

I think throw-ins are shit. Outfield players never handle the ball during the match, so why here? It encourages the ball to be in the air, which I would like to see less of. Taking a throw isn't much of an advantage either, it's not too hard to win the ball back. 

With kick-ins, the last thing I'd want to see is them becoming corners because that could be worse than taking a throw, in terms of the ball being played in the air. For it to improve the game, I'd like to see some sort of rule to prevent somebody just booting it e.g. it must be played on the ground, or if in the air then for a certain distance (although that would be hard to enforce, so play it on the ground is my preferred rule). When I coach football, during the games sometimes we play with throw-ins and sometimes with kick-ins, I've found the game flows much better with kick-ins.

@Mr_Dangerthat might be the first thing Indy has got right! Wenger has mooted the idea in the past, I think his idea was to have kick-ins replace throw-ins only in one half of the pitch.

Edited by PunkStep

I was always a fan of Arsene Wenger when he was a manager, but ever since his retirement and subsequent becoming a puppet for FIFA - with ideas like this and wanting even more International games with diluting the World Cup to every 2 years - it’s became apparent the guy is an out of touch fucking idiot.