UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As we get closer to this PPV I'm genuinely getting more nervous for Conor. Everyone is saying this is McGregor's last roll of the dice in MMA and I have to agree. 
If he looses again you have to think he will throw in the towel and walk away from the UFC forever.....or at least until he spunks a load of his money. 

I do want a Conor to win but with him coming out and saying stuff like don't throw any takedowns, let's just stand and bang you have to think he isn't feeling totally comfortable with Dustin on the ground. 

However the 1 fight i'm so excited for is the Price vs Pereira fight that has all the hallmarks as being a fucking unreal fight of the night contender. 

• Paid Members

Bit cringe for me this.

Feels like shades of Rousey’s return against Nunes to me. Obviously, McGregor’s got a way better shot at actually winning this fight than Rousey did of beating Nunes. But it seems like all anyone’s talking about is Conor and what Conor’s gonna do and what this means for Conor and what shape Conor’s in and Conor, Conor, Conor. You always get that with his fights to a degree but you’d think Poirier lost last time the way everyone’s banging on. It’s gonna be unbearable if he actually wins.

In the interest of balance, here’s Poirier’s 30 minute interview with ESPN;

• Paid Members

We’ve barely touched on it but how are we seeing Burns vs Wonderboy going?

Both great fighters but I can’t help feeling like Burns has fallen in love with striking a bit too much and that might be his undoing here. To his credit, I think this is a great move;

It’s got to be a bastard finding sparring partners who can come close to replicating Wonderboy but Raymond Daniels is probably just about the best man for that job. But it’d probably be wise for Burns to go back to his bread and butter here and try to make it a grappling battle. He’s got a huge advantage there but it’s actually getting it to the ground that’s gonna be tricky, timing his entries to go for the takedown without getting crane kicked in the gob or something coming in. I can see Burns fancying standing though and I think that ends in tears for him. I’ve got Wonderboy on points in a bit of a striking masterclass.

I’m a big fan of both so it’ll be bittersweet whatever the result. A Wonderboy win would probably be the best outcome for the division though. He might just be the most interesting potential challenger for Usman, for me anyway. I’d love to see how their styles would clash. If he beats Burns, and especially if he stops him, I’d rather see Usman vs Wonderboy over Usman vs Covington 2 next. But it’s looking like we’re getting that Covington rematch first regardless. 

• Paid Members

Yeah Usman Vs Wonderboy would be a really interesting match up, should it happen. I don't expect it to though, as Colby Covington, for whatever reason, seems nailed on for that. Edwards or a victorious Wonderboy should be next in my opinion, but they won't be. 

I like Gilbert and Wonderboy. Don't want either to lose. One of them will though and like you say Wand, Thompson is the more interesting potential challenger for Kamaru Usman right now. It's a great fight on paper this one between Burns and Wonderboy. Hopefully it'll play out that way on the night too. 

• Paid Members

Good stuff.

4-AF70-B76-CBBF-47-A8-962-C-891-CAB80-D9

This sounds like a living hell though…

E49-F8-EA9-18-D3-40-DD-8-B58-3741-FF937-

Nick Peet rarely removes his tongue from Darren Till’s arse so that’ll be grand. And;

B8-ED6-D42-3006-4-A97-A0-D1-C6-AF9-D3144

‘YOU KNOW WHAT LADS, CONOR LOOKS FUCKIN’ MOTIVATED THIS TIME. I THINK WE’RE GONNA SEE THE REAL CONOR MCGREGOR ON SATURDAY NIGHT, Y’KNOW.’ 

• Paid Members
On 7/3/2021 at 12:55 PM, Kfogg1991 said:

As we get closer to this PPV I'm genuinely getting more nervous for Conor. Everyone is saying this is McGregor's last roll of the dice in MMA and I have to agree. 
If he looses again you have to think he will throw in the towel and walk away from the UFC forever.....or at least until he spunks a load of his money. 

I think that, at the very least, he has the Nate Diaz trilogy left in him regardless of the result this weekend. It'll be up to him ultimately, there's no way the UFC refuse to book that fight if he wants it. He could have walked away after the Khabib loss when it became clear he wasn't getting the rematch, but he didn't. Win or lose, I think he fights again. I think his ego is too big to go out on a loss.

I do want a Conor to win but with him coming out and saying stuff like don't throw any takedowns, let's just stand and bang you have to think he isn't feeling totally comfortable with Dustin on the ground.

I think that's just standard pre-fight talk, to be honest. I don't see how he beats Dustin. I don't see how he stops Dustin on the feet. It's become pretty clear now that his power doesn't carry through to lightweight. He landed clean in the second fight and Dustin walked through it. I don't see how he beats Dustin on the ground. He certainly doesn't out wrestle him and he has a total of 1 win by submission in his career - a decade ago in Cage Warriors. The only way he beats Dustin is to out-point him, but that means going the distance and Conor's biggest weakness has always been his gas tank.

We have to consider the fact that Mcgregor has been here before when he came back and beat Nate Diaz. That was a points win where he narrowly came out on top by executing a good game plan. I think Dustin is a better fighter than Nate Diaz was at that time, though. I just don't see how Mcgregor wins.

• Paid Members

anyone know much about Ilia Topuria? i just read Wands write up again but cant recall seeing him fight. Ryan Hall is the biggest underdog on the card outside of the O'Malley fight. Quite surprised to see that.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

anyone know much about Ilia Topuria? i just read Wands write up again but cant recall seeing him fight. Ryan Hall is the biggest underdog on the card outside of the O'Malley fight. Quite surprised to see that.

Looks really good from what I’ve seen. I’ve only watched 2 full fights, his 2 in the UFC, but I’ve been digging around looking at some highlights and bits and pieces from his fights before the UFC and he looks really promising. Very strong grappling, nice striking, goes to the body a fair bit as well. I like the look of him. His UFC debut late last year caught my attention. He came in on short notice and put on a bit of a grappling showcase against Youssef Zalal to take a decision. Not an amazing win but given the lack of training camp I thought he looked impressive. Then he wrecked Damon Jackson on the feet in his next fight.

Here’s a little highlight of him pre-UFC;

This knockout was pretty sweet as well. It was his last fight before the UFC came calling, I think; 

36724E22-9B47-4017-80D8-9EF5972F13F0.gif

Ryan Hall is a big step up though and he’ll be unlike anyone Topuria’s faced before. But that’s what makes this so interesting because I don’t think Hall’s faced anyone who’s really been young, in-form and dangerous like this guy either. Plus Hall’s been out a while. It’s a really intriguing one and it’s why it was my ‘one to watch’ in the opening post despite there being fights on this card that I definitely think will be more exciting to watch. Poirier vs McGregor 3 and Price vs Pereira will probably be the most action packed fights to watch. But there’s something about this matchup that is really grabbing my interest and I don’t have a clue which way it’s going. It’s relatively early days with Topuria but he’s showing all the signs and seemingly has a very solid foundation of someone who could go on to be a bit special. But Ryan Hall’s a weird case of a guy who can beat anyone if he gets a hold of their leg. And he’s obviously really fucking good at that.

I haven’t seen enough of Topuria to predict how he’ll tackle this. I mean, how do you tackle a puzzle like Ryan Hall? Topuria’s confidence in his ground game and willingness to grapple could be his undoing if he fucks around too much on the mat. But he’s also got a Greco background that he might be able to use to keep it standing. That should be to his advantage. He’s the far superior striker here. But again, Hall’s odd striking actually works for him because the constant threat of him ripping knees apart makes opponents freeze up a lot. And Topuria’s Greco base mightn’t help him much anyway because Hall doesn’t exactly go for takedowns the conventional way, he likes to roll for legs and stuff. Fascinating fight. 

Edited by wandshogun09