UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the big question is where does McGregor go from here if loses? I can't imagine him hanging around if he isn't in the title scene. I know losses can easily be forgotten about once you're on a 2 fight win streak (or even 1) but even if he sparks out a few guys after this the whole 2-1 trilogy loss would be a barrier to him getting a title shot. Most fighters would be able to bounce back but this is Connor McGregor, the most famous MMA guy on the planet, the only MMA guy whose career is truly followed by mainstream media, it won't be so easy for him to wash away the trilogy loss in a narrative. Is he going to do a Ken Shamrock and just keep coming back and losing? it doesn't seem his character.

As for my prediction, I'm joining the 'McGregor is done' camp. Connor was so far ahead of the game when he rose up he just rested on his laurels and now not only has it caught up but it's surpassed him, I feel the fight will go in a similar fashion to the last one-Connor starting strong, come unstuck round 2/3.

2 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

To me, the big question is where does McGregor go from here if loses?

Depends on how he loses (I don't think he loses, by the way). As we saw at the weekend, even a loss can leave you still relevant in some instances. 

I have to believe that even a loss would still see him able to walk into a bout with the likes of Masvidal or Diaz. After all, it could be spun that it was the weight cut. The "real Conor" will return at 170lbs where he can be more dynamic and all that shite.

Basically, if there's a fight out there to be made, both he and the UFC will make it. 

• Paid Members

Bout order confirmed.

51289-E06-7-A95-4440-A855-863078-D25-E7-

You knew Greg Hardy would be on the main card no matter what. But fucking Aldana vs Kunitskaya on the PPV over so many better fights? And Hall vs Topuria is on Fight Pass? I get spreading out the quality on a card this stacked but this lineup looks well wonky to me. No big deal really, we still get to see everything. But Aldana vs Kunitskaya and a Hardy turd sandwich in the middle of the main card can eat my bum hole.  

I'm going to make my prediction early. I think Poirier wins for these three reasons:

1) Poirier is in his prime and competing in the right weight class. He is more durable and better defensively at lightweight than he was at featherweight. By comparison, McGregor is probably out of his prime and not the force he was at 145lbs. He has lost some of his punching power at lightweight, and has probably also lost some speed and durability due to not living the life in recent years. 

2) As this excellent article establishes, Poirier's defensive improvement in recent years has enabled him to better defend McGregor rear left hand, and also highlighted that McGregor has difficulty landing it against fellow southpaws - https://www.thefight-site.com/home/poirier-mcgregor-2-breakdown

3) ATT is a much better camp than SBG. Poirier will have access to better coaching and sparring. It is therefore probable that Poirier will turn up on fight night better prepared and with a better gameplan. 

I wouldn't completely rule out McGregor landing something big early and springing what I would consider to be an upset. However, I think the most likely outcome is that Poirier wears McGregor down and stops him around the 3rd round. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Fuck sparring Mark Hunt. 

Christ. Sparring like this boggles my mind and should’ve died out years ago. But Hunt’s got that old school mentality like the Chute Boxe lot. It’s still 2002 as far as he’s concerned and it’s war in the gym just like it is in the cage or the ring. Or the car park or over the last bucket at closing time in KFC. Love Hunt but his brain must be like Super Noodles these days. How he’s done this shit for well over 20 years I don’t know. Hope he hasn’t softened Tai up too much. He’s got a wifebeater to batter.