Collectors

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I don’t buy action figures much anymore, though I still like following the news and what’s coming out, but I had to buy these. The Gwen will be shared with my daughter who loved Spiderverse and I’m starting to get into the Marvel animated series of old (just watched the first 2 episodes of X-Men)

127AAD0F-CE9D-4F2E-BFE0-4B23F91CF6EF.jpeg

• 6 months later...
  • Paid Members

Met up with a mate last night who I haven't seen for over ten years. He was telling me that he got into cryptocurrency five years ago, invested £4k which apparently is now worth £60k. For me that is a huge amount of money but he just shrugged and said "well that's nothing compared to the Pokémon cards"

He then explained to me that after he finished university he spent a year trawling auctions on Japanese websites for Pokémon cards and spent around £7k in total. He focussed on original manufacture Japanese editions and managed to build up five complete sets. Each set has a Charizard which is apparently valuable. He said if he was being conservative at least two of the Charizards are something called "Grade 9" quality which he could probably sell for £30k each. He also reckons one of them is "Grade 10" which could go for up to £100k. He estimated that his entire collection is worth at worst £200k. Not bad for a £7k investment in 2010, although he was mainly doing it for fun, he had no idea how valuable they would become.

So the moral of the story is... if you / your parents / grandparents kept hold of your old Pokémon cards it might be worth getting them out and seeing what you've got, they might be worth a few quid!

On 2/6/2021 at 11:47 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

I don’t buy action figures much anymore, though I still like following the news and what’s coming out, but I had to buy these. The Gwen will be shared with my daughter who loved Spiderverse and I’m starting to get into the Marvel animated series of old (just watched the first 2 episodes of X-Men)

127AAD0F-CE9D-4F2E-BFE0-4B23F91CF6EF.jpeg

Out of interest. Stay in box or do you let them breathe?

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, 5pints said:

Out of interest. Stay in box or do you let them breathe?

Bit of both. Gwen and Spider-Ham breathed (Gwen in my daughters room, Peter Porker in mine). The rest are boxed, waiting for display space. But I’ve also got a Stan Lee Marvel Legend and Tron Arcade box set and Retro’s which will be left in boxes.

• Paid Members

What is the point of Funko Pops? I've just recently been gifted a Rock Austin with RAW ring set. Plus a Hulk Hogan. They're stupid! The ring is ok. I can figure out something to do with that. The figures however. Just daft. There's little to no playability. They fall over ALL the time. Even my four year old niece gave them the side eye.

Why do people collect these?

They're relatively cheap, easy to find and seemingly have the licence for every piece of Pop Culture that's ever existed.

They're very much dust gatherers though, rather than toys. I say that as someone that has nearly a hundred of them around the house. My three year old has no interest in them. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I guess this can go here.

I heard the “beep” of a delivery driver hand scanner yesterday and noticed he was coming up our drive. I hadn’t ordered anything so assumed it was for a neighbour who wasn’t in.

It was actually addressed to me after all and had come from America. I’d pre-ordered it at the start of the year.

551DEBF4-FF31-4D15-91CC-BC8474222B78.thumb.jpeg.04a580cc11def6e722057b2d69fcf2de.jpeg

It’ll go with my Denis Nedry and Dilophosaurus from the same collection, and my Barbasol can that has a talking Denis Nedry inside.

I did have an official movie prop replica of the Barbasol can on order for over 2 years, but the company that was making them went out of business due to the pandemic 😞

I was tempted by that new Alan Grant and Topless Ian Malcolm, some nice figures in the Amber Collection. Top collecting there Scratch

3 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Should I re-box them? Are they likely to appreciate? I like displaying my Transformers and Hasbros. I've also got the odd Transformers statue. These pop things however. Are likely to be forgotten about and lost.

With the odd exception, I'd say they're more than likely the present-day Beanie Babies. I've got a George Sanderson from Monsters Inc that sells for decent money, other than that, mine aren't worth much. I'd say 90% of my collection is unboxed. 

I've a really varied collection in terms of value, from Hot Toys to NECA Ultimates, Pop Vinyl and WWE, with tons of other stuff inbetween. I don't have as much room as I used to do, so I rotate some stuff that's on display. 

• Paid Members
On 8/14/2021 at 10:10 AM, johnnyboy said:

I don't know.  There's manufactured rarity in chase variants, convention exclusives, retailer exclusives etc that make some more desirable.  I don't think they'll have many of the mass market ones on Antiques Roadshow 2057

Chase variants? I'm not sure what that means. 

On 8/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, BigJag said:

What is the point of Funko Pops? I've just recently been gifted a Rock Austin with RAW ring set. Plus a Hulk Hogan. They're stupid! The ring is ok. I can figure out something to do with that. The figures however. Just daft. There's little to no playability. They fall over ALL the time. Even my four year old niece gave them the side eye.

Why do people collect these?

I can remember reading an article about a year ago saying Pop Funko are a pretty bad investment and there will probably be a crash and they be rendered worthless.

For what it's worth i do collect them, very casually, but i can see why the bottom might fall out of the market one day. I think they look cool and make a nice display but they are ridiculously over made now, there seems to be a funko range for every movie and tv show ever in existence.

Like every other person during lockdown, i dug out my old trading cards and actually found i had some rarities in my old Wrestling, Pokémon and Xmen cards. Card Collecting is definitely a fun hobby because 50% of it is simply watching the market. I almost bought a Charlotte Flair rookie card in March, felt it was to expensive, now the same card is going for nearly twice i could have bought it for. I'm not to gutted, just see it as a lesson learned. Rookie Card predicting seems easier in wrestling