Jay White to WWE?

tiger_rick

Nakamura’s case is different as it’s his own fault he’s in the position he’s in as he is happy surfing and earning a shit load of money to do 1/10th of his old routine in slow motion.

People like ricochet, Matt riddle, Keith lee, dijakovic, Andrade, Alesteir black, Viking raiders, Finn balor, Ali, Chad gable and Murphy are great wrestlers that have been completely ruined by main roster wwe. The same will be true for pretty much every guy that comes up from nxt as well. These idiots could fuck up walter for fucks sake. I mean, imagine ruining Keith fucking Lee? How incompetent and shit do you have to be to destroy Keith lee after his double title win in nxt?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Yakashi said:

He would probably end up... with a cricket or rugby gimmick anyway.

It'd get me watching. I'm absolutely amazed WWE has neve gone all in on a rugby player gimmick, to be honest. A tough, and strong legitimate athlete, who likes a pint. Itd be tremendous.

Also, a Cricketer carries a cricket bat and could be sold by his patience. 

Either gimmick would be ace to be used. 

Edited by PowerButchi

12 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

It'd get me watching. I'm absolutely amazed WWE has neve gone all in on a rugby player gimmick, to be honest. A tough, and strong legitimate athlete, who likes a pint. Itd be tremendous.

Cesaro came in as a rugby player before they dropped it with no explanation.

In storyline, the multilingual Cesaro served in the Swiss militia, before embarking on a career in rugby, which ended with him being banned for "excessive aggression"

Edited by Yakashi

• Moderators

Yeah, I know they did. And it was only strapping to be lifted in the line out on his thighs and the announcers saying he played . That's hardly all in. He didn't use a tackle as a move, which should be the bare minimum. Even Americans also know the Swiss don't play Rugby. 

A rugby gimmick would at least have strapping on his ears to avoid cauliflowering and a decent fucking spear. Or even less than that, put over how powerful he is at pushing. 

He didn't have a rugby gimmick, they just said he played rugby. Different things. They mention now and again Dolph Zigger was a fine collegiate wrestler, but he's not suplexing folk about as his gimmick. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I don't see the big deal about Jay White. The NJPW show I went to at the Copper Box certainly didn't give me a particularly good impression, and the other bits and bobs I've seen have left me feeling very "meh" about him. Competent, but nothing that stands out, and I certainly don't get why he ever got the IWGP belt.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I don't see the big deal about Jay White. The NJPW show I went to at the Copper Box certainly didn't give me a particularly good impression, and the other bits and bobs I've seen have left me feeling very "meh" about him. Competent, but nothing that stands out, and I certainly don't get why he ever got the IWGP belt.

He struck me as a poundshop Adam Cole a couple of years ago. Granted, I watch very little contemporary wrestling these days, but has he improved? 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

He didn't have a rugby gimmick, they just said he played rugby. Different things. They mention now and again Dolph Zigger was a fine collegiate wrestler, but he's not suplexing folk about as his gimmick. 

The only Rugby gimmick I've ever seen in wrestling is when Rip Morgan of WCW "New Zealand Militia" and "Royal Family" fame rocked up in an early 2000's Orig Williams show in Llangefni in an All Blacks shirt and threw a Rugby ball in the face of the poor fucker he was up against.

Was an improvement on the previous show which had the Boston Blackie pretending to be the Rock.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Competent, but nothing that stands out, and I certainly don't get why he ever got the IWGP belt.

The plan appeared to be for Kenny Omega to drop the title to Okada at Madison Square Garden. When Omega left, they scrambled for a Plan B. Tanahashi beats Omega, then quickly drops the title to Jay White, so Okada could win from a heel in MSG for a big face pop. They didn't really have anyone other than Omega for that role, really. White was in his mid-twenties, and clearly improving quickly, so it was a big gamble.

An undeserving champion can work at times, and you're pretty much guaranteed a big response when he loses. It was a thankless role, but a way to get White some big experience. Worst case scenario? You've got a short run for a guy that didn't warrant it. Best case scenario? You've got a hot new heel right as he's growing into the role.

As it was, White was middling. He wasn't terrible, but he was boring. I had exactly the same reaction to you for ages.

That said, I really liked his performance at this year's Wrestle Kingdom. Far, far more than I was expecting. It felt like the whole thing clicked a little more for me, so I'm seeing far more potential than I expected. I would have hated him to go to AEW before, but I'd be up for it now. However, I won't complain if he goes to WWE and I don't watch any more of his stuff either.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

They'd fuck that up. He'd be a chap from Eton in the 1890s who talked about "bloody rugger" and promised to give his opponent a ruddy good going over in the scrummage. They'd probably get that lad with the tache from the Vaudevillains in to do it.

• Paid Members

I know AEW has only been around for just over a year, but they haven't exactly built up enough trust for me to say AEW would treat 'x' wrestler better than WWE in terms of character development. For every Nakamura / Balor etc that people claim WWE ruined, (forgetting Nakamura won the Rumble and had the match at Mania with AJ and then Nakamura just looked like he couldnt be arsed, and as previously mentioned, Balor was given the title on his debut night on RAW until his injury), AEW has also had the debuting Miro, that's done nothing of note so far, Brian Cage, Archer etc. 

AEW could turn them around, granted, but I just don't get the whole 'AEW will do them better and they won't get ruined', schtick. The last thing AEW need right now are MORE wrestlers for one 2 hour show and a YouTube show.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, WWE have dropped the ball on quite a lot of characters over the years, my point is more of people arguing AEW are better than WWE with characters.

Also, I know nothing about Jay White, I've only ever heard his name, I didn't even know he wasn't American so can't comment on where the best fit for him is.

Edited by Nick James

Jays main improvements have come over the last year from him adding a lot of his own crowd work to his act, mocking them to play up his disdain for them.he’d get stripped of that in wwe so would likely falter.  
Really feels like he is coming into his own, so even one more year to truly get his act down in new Japan would do him well. Aew is still working guys into stories, and the heel side is especially top heavy.