Youtube Thread 2000

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Bump machine as well. He was one of those wrestlers like RVD who seemed to be made of elastic and could make things look absolutely devastating.

They really should’ve given him a proper run as Mortis. It was never gonna be a main event thing but certainly would’ve been better than the shit they had him doing, when they actually bothered using him.

Why’s he purple though? 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Now we're talking.

I think people forget just how well played this (stupid) gimmick was when he was a heel and it only became shit when he turned babyface. The attack on Crush is still vicious stuff.

The WWE Vault on Youtube is indeed a thing of beauty - some really nice footage has been uploaded, including this gem which I haven't seen mentioned on here as yet: 

It will be intetesting to see how much of the vintage stuff ends up on Netflix, or whether they'll just do these smaller and random videos on Youtube. 

It seems to have been confirmed that at least some of the vintage stuff will be on Netflix.   Certainly documentaries etc.

(If you search on Netflix for WWE it brings up Raw, Smackdown and NXT but also brings up searches related to several of the documentaries, though not the documentaries themselves, but they've obviously been put into the system) 

I'd imagine the archive of PPVs, Raw, Smackdown and NXT will be on there, but who knows if every episode of WCCW is going to be on there, for example.  It did all end up on Peacock eventually though.  If they're not going to continue adding classic content though, it does seem kind of pointless keeping the stuff that's there already.

Edited by The Dart

• Paid Members
On 10/9/2024 at 11:51 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Now we're talking.

Watched this. Its brilliant. I feel like I've seen it before, not sure if it was on the Network a while ago. Reminds everyone that Ray Rougeau was an all-time terrible interviewer. Mean Gene, he ain't.

On 10/9/2024 at 11:51 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

I think people forget just how well played this (stupid) gimmick was when he was a heel and it only became shit when he turned babyface. The attack on Crush is still vicious stuff.

The gimmick has always been appreciated on here. It really is fantastic. Bourne's mannerisms, his change of expression, the make-up, the music and the selling, particularly from Bobby Heenan, are superb. The build up to that Crush angle, from him just being a crowd member they claim not to know, to the tricks on Jannetty and the Bossman and then the subtlety of the first Crush run in ia all great stuff.

I love his work too. Again, Heenan excels selling him as a proper wrestler. His novel pins and the "stump puller" submission are so much fun, as they should be.

I loved him all the way to his involvement in the Bret angle at SummerSlam. Honestly, the Crush angle and the match and angle at Mania are a big part of the reason why I'm in the top 0.001% of people who love Mania 9.

The gimmick was destined to struggle after he turned babyface but without Bourne, it's just a bag of shit. He's a massive part of it's success. Bleeding Skinner and whoever Ray Apollo is were just jabroni's in a costume.

• Paid Members

Vince obviously wasn't the first one to recycle gimmicks in that way, but I wonder if his (relative) success in just having a run of different blokes portray Doink was part of what convinced him that "people care about the characters, not the wrestlers who play them" and led to Fake Diesel and Razor?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Again, Heenan excels selling him as a proper wrestler. His novel pins and the "stump puller" submission are so much fun, as they should be.

I watched Doink’s debut match before and pissed myself at Heenan on commentary going “these aren’t your typical clown moves”. As if there are wrestling moves that are synonymous specifically with clowns. It was a throwaway line but it was just the right balance between Heenan being surprised and impressed with Doink’s wrestling ability and putting that over to the viewer, but also being a bit goofy in a way only ‘The Brain’ could.

Heel Doink was class. Although I wonder if the character was just a bit too dark for the still cartoony world of 1993 WWF and maybe that’s partly why they decided to chop the bollocks off it, turn him babyface, stick him with Dink etc. I mean, just look at this sick freak…

SBRb6.gif

• Paid Members

What were they playing at with the little fangs as well? I remember seeing this photo as a kid but later thought I must’ve imagined or misremembered the teeth because I never saw it anywhere else. Way scarier than your Undertakers and Papa Shangos. Bloody terrifying. 

IMG-5720.jpg

IMG-5722.jpg

At the risk of turning this into a WWE Vault thread, they've uploaded my favourite match ever today:

There's just something so special about almost-but-not-quite-peaked-yet Hardyz & Edge & Christian going in with zero hype or expectation to a B-Show and delivering something where halfway through the match the crowd slowly start realising "Oh fuck, this is important somehow!" 

The first few TLCs are I guess objectively better in so many other ways, but this is the one for me. High spots without being too over the top, no pre-gimmicked ladders, doesn't have half a dozen guys peering over the apron waiting for their cue to stop being dead. Just a belter of a brawl that made four guys.