What did you listen to this year?

Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

@neil I had a listen to some Protomartyr last night, and can see where the Fall comparison comes from. I'll admit that I don't get on with everything by The Fall, but will definitely check more out. I also sent a message to a really good friend, whose favourite band is the Fall. He introduced them to me really. We saw them live 3 times together, and he's probably seen them even more than that.

My Top 100 on Spotify is an interesting one. It's probably skewed a little by my summer of furlough and listening to some Audible as well as music on my way to and from work. 28 tracks by Justice, a decent chunk of Daft Punk and Soulwax, a selection of other French Touch artists. My most listened Beastie Boys song was Paul Revere. Some random turn of the 90s stuff from a playlist I made when I was feeling really nostalgic for it. Couple of tracks by Metallica. I think this year may be the first in a while that St Anger isn't my most listened album by them as I sometimes stick Load and Reload on when I'm working in a different department on my own to avoid upsetting anybody that visits. 

My top 5 artists were:

Baroness, Vince DiCola, Fucked Up, Actionslacks and The Replacements.

There was only Baroness that I started listening to this year after years of friends saying I'd love them and me being all 'Fuck you! You're not my real Dad!'.

I have never and will never stop listening to the The Transformers: The Movie soundtrack.

Not meaning to be an arsehole for a change, as I can see why they’re popular, but I gave Idles a go after hearing great things and it wasn’t for me. It just didn’t seem authentic for some reason. It all felt forced and like an act. Like a noisier Foals or something. 

8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Not meaning to be an arsehole for a change, as I can see why they’re popular, but I gave Idles a go after hearing great things and it wasn’t for me. It just didn’t seem authentic for some reason. It all felt forced and like an act. Like a noisier Foals or something. 

I think they're a good band, and their albums, to me anyway, are a load of fun (hilarious at times, intentional and otherwise), but that's where it ends. They're not the second coming of 'punk' as a lot of music journalists make out...

However, I reckon I'm not the target audience and I think if I was 16 and heard them for the first time, I would think they were the greatest band in the world and I can totally see why lots of people completely buy into them, their ethos etc.

Saying that, the song Danny Ndelko should be the fucking national anthem. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

I felt a bit of that listening to their first album. But I liked a few of the songs they had and turned out they were on tour and coming through town so I went to see them. The show was unbelievable, just pure energy and had none of that macho bollocks associated with heavy music. Since then I've loved them.

I have noticed them getting dragged into stupid shit with other bands having a pissing match about who has hard the more "punk" which is something that scene suffers from much like metal.

18 minutes ago, neil said:

The show was unbelievable, just pure energy and had none of that macho bollocks associated with heavy music.

Yeah that’s a big plus. I think I saw a clip of them on Later... and then saw another of them doing the same song but they were doing the same actions in the same places. It felt like a dance routine which soured me. Although I will check out when they played Glastonbury as I hear it’s a belter. I also realise I’m rather old so I’m not really their audience. 

• Paid Members

I'm going to say right now that if Smith & Burrows aren't in my top 5 this time next year I'll be surprised. Heck the amount of times I've listened to their stuff this week if they'd delayed the count for this year by a week they'd probably have snuck into number 5.

On 12/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, PowerButchi said:

Amazon Music hasn't got one, but it's probably 60% Frank Sidebottom

I was driving through Timperley the other day and saw the statue. I squealed like a giddy schoolgirl. It was done up like Santa.